Gransnet forums

Travel

Kerala with mercury holidays

(8 Posts)
silverlining48 Tue 04-Sep-18 16:11:52

I posted recently about a first time trip to India next February.
We have seen a tour of Kerala with Mercury holidays which looks promising aka affordable. Has anyone been on one and also perhaps extended the tour to a 3 night beach stay? Or should we look at another operator?
All or any comments most welcome.

Jane10 Tue 04-Sep-18 16:18:38

Is poor Kerala not really suffering just now due to terrible flooding? They might have a lot of difficulty rebuilding for a while. Holiday companies might hold back for a while?(I know people need the tourist money but the area was seriously damaged. Infrastructure affected)

silversurf Tue 04-Sep-18 18:16:10

We went on a fantastic tour of Kerala with Saga a few years back. Probably a bit more expensive than Mercury, but very good value. Included travel insurance and car to and from home to airport.

jura2 Wed 05-Sep-18 13:42:40

I am amazed that anyone would even think of going to Kerala so soon. The place has been destroyed, so many have died or lost everything in recent terrible floods.

Nandalot Wed 05-Sep-18 13:57:00

Also as a result of the floods, many are dying from diseases carried in the water.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 14:55:29

You could check out this website to get updates on the situation silverlining
www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 14:56:12

I don't think tour operators will be advising going there anyway.

jura2 Thu 06-Sep-18 16:48:18

We were supposed to go to a wedding there in November- we went to the Austrian part in May (bride is Austrian, and groom from Kerala- one of our musician friends)- but it has of course had to be postponed to next November.

His parents are OK, they live near Cochin - but the devastation is truly awful.

If you can support one of the charities trying to help, with tents, covers, clothes, food and medicines- please do so. Thanks.