Gransnet forums

Travel

Narrowboats

(15 Posts)
Izabella Wed 17-Oct-18 20:45:18

I know these have been discussed before but all I can find are static threads. So is anyone living on a narrowboat or has anyone had a holiday on one and would be willing to share experiences please?

BlueBelle Wed 17-Oct-18 20:51:38

I had a few holidays on Narrow boats but it was a good few years back but I loved those holidays chugging along at 4 miles per hour stopping off for pub lunches getting the kids to turn the lock gates yes they were good holidays

MissAdventure Wed 17-Oct-18 20:56:33

There is a member here called narrowboatnan.
Hopefully she'll look in and give you some advice.

Nanabilly Wed 17-Oct-18 22:57:52

We have had boating holidays and hire boats and also a share in a narrowboat syndicate for 9 years.
What do you want do you want to know?

KatyK Thu 18-Oct-18 09:39:50

I've never been on one but seeing them go past on the canal at the back of our house always gives me a thrill even after over 30 years of living here. If you go, I hope you enjoy it

Scribbles Thu 18-Oct-18 10:23:08

Don't do it if anyone in your party is claustrophobic. I find narrowboats very difficult: the combination of small space/low ceilings with high canal banks and (especially) locks is oppressive and panic-inducing.

LadyGracie Thu 18-Oct-18 12:24:05

I think narrowboating on canal holidays were some of the best we ever had. Neither of us is fit enough for them anymore. I’d definitely give it a go.

NanaMacGeek Thu 18-Oct-18 21:30:48

I could have written exactly the same as Nanabilly, you're not in our syndicate are you?

You certainly need a certain level of fitness although I'm not particularly fit. Locks can be quite hard work but they are also sociable places where you chat to other boaters while the locks are filling/emptying. It doesn't take long to get the basics of steering a narrowboat so that you can manage it. Modern boats are warm and comfortable although they are ....narrow.

Many go from pub to pub to eat, we tend to cook simple dishes on the boat or barbecue when moored up for the evening. Coffee on a late autumn day is in an insulated mug with a little dash of whiskey to keep out the cold while going along. The scenery comes to you, you just sit there and enjoy it. Even towns and villages you know well look different from the canals that run through them.

You could hire a boat for just a few days to see how you like it. If you haven't been on a narrowboat before, it can seem like hard work if there are just two of you (DH and I are used to it) but I think an extra 'hand' or two would make life easier. Take suitable clothing, including wet weather gear and, most importantly, enjoy it.

Situpstraight1 Fri 19-Oct-18 10:20:26

My DD and her family try to go each year, they are off again on Monday, the GCs love it, however she says that she wouldn’t do it on her own with the children as she needs somebody with some strength to operate some of the locks.

They are going to Wales this time, when they went on the Kennet and Avon canal they found that some of the Hotel Barges were very intimidating as they come too close and seem to be able to do what they want regarding speed etc.

Izabella Fri 19-Oct-18 19:38:16

Well plenty of information from everyone. Thank you all! I am awaiting brochures and prices for next year.

jura2 Sun 17-Mar-19 17:23:33

we booked one some years back, and we took a 6 berth to have a bit more space. Unfortunately, you have to be a minimum of 3 for a 6 berth- and as this had not been made clear at the time of booking, we got out money back.

Would love to go one day- but it ain't cheap for sure.

petra Sun 17-Mar-19 22:52:58

Izabella
I lived onboard for 20 years but not a narrow boat.
I've done a lot of the canals in England and done the calidonian.
We took our own boat through the French canals and rivers through to the Mediterranean.
This year we have booked a narrow boat on the canal du midi.
In May we are bringing a boat back from France to the uk.

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:02:21

are you doing it 'narrow dog to Carcassone style' or the safe way?

Oldbat1 Sat 13-Apr-19 21:17:45

We had a narrowboat for three years but sold it last year. Our family didn’t make use of the boat at all u fortunately. Our dogs hated the locks and the tunnels! Ours was 60ft and beautiful inside and very comfortable. They are expensive both to buy and to maintain. Licence was about £700 a year then a berth in a marina was over £3000 a year. Boat = bring on another thousand.

grannypauline Sat 27-Apr-19 22:43:37

I take a canal boat holiday nearly every year. It costs an arm and a leg because I take the granddaughters in their holidays too! They love it and the older one is very skilled and competent. We are going in a couple of week's time and will love the pace, the countryside and all the little baby birds. We wouldn't miss it for the world.

A good suggestion posted was to go for a few days and see if you like it.

Here are a few tips.
Some canals have lots and lots of locks and that can be tiring and need strength. You can google the routes or borrow a book from the library (they aren't usually cheap to buy!) to suss it out.
Start with a small boat as the longer ones are more tricky to manoeuvre.
Canals with single locks have lighter gates, but with a double lock you are often with another boat and, hopefully, more manpower.
Some hire companies require a minimum of three people, and some don't.
Unless you are an early riser, consider the time of year as it can get dark early in the UK and you have to find moorings and moor up before dark. Evenings on the water can be quite cool though most hire boats have central heating
Rivers don't tend to have locks but their banks can be private and either not let you moor up at all or charge for it. Forget the tidal Thames as you now practically need a degree in navigation to go on it!
Also forget central London as savvy people are now living on the Regents canal etc and it is horribly crowded. Interesting but hardly peaceful!

If and when you decided to go for it I'm sure we can add a few more tips!