Gransnet forums

Travel

Oriana

(5 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 03-Nov-18 00:55:39

Has anyone been on a cruise on the P and O Oriana? Please give me an idea what it's like. Family members are looking to go on a Oriana cruise in the not too distant future and I would welcome any reviews of the ship itself rather than the ports of call. Thanks, and I look forward to your reviews.

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Nov-18 10:13:20

When I was about 10! I expect they’ve got a new one now so my experience will not be very relevant! Enjoy.

BBbevan Sat 03-Nov-18 11:50:52

The Oriana is about 24 years old and about to be retired or refitted, I think. However we have been on most of the P&O boats and the standard of accommodation, food, entertainment etc, has been consistently high. I see no reason why the Oriana should not be the same. It is also adults only.

JenniferEccles Thu 29-Nov-18 17:07:45

Ah Oriana. I love Oriana mrsmopp but sadly she has been sold and next year will be the last year under P and O ownership.

She is a lovely traditional ship with a wide wraparound promenade deck. There seems to be lots of space inside so the ship, even when full, doesn't feel crowded.

It has a nice calm sort of atmosphere on board, as I guess those people of a more lively disposition would probably be on one of the bigger ships. We liked the cinema (which not all ships have) on sea days if there was a film showing we wanted to see. Also the soundtrack is not too loud, unlike cinemas on land which I find deafening!

I guess one drawback is that cruises on Oriana are a bit more expensive than the really large ships, but we feel it's a price worth paying.

We have got one last cruise booked on her for next Spring!

PamelaJ1 Thu 29-Nov-18 18:41:22

If it’s only 24 then it must have been the Iberia when I was 10, sorry. Anyway it was before cruise ships were cruise ships. More like buses! Got you from a-b.
The entertainment was bingo!