Gransnet forums

Travel

Insurance

(17 Posts)
Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:04:44

I only want a medical condition covered as we have insurance through the bank otherwise.
That is what adds on to the cost of a trip.

Jessity Thu 29-Nov-18 20:02:01

Another recommendation for Insure and Go. We have a number of existing medical conditions between us which we agree to exclude from cover.

Renewal premium for annual multi trip worldwide including USA was £591 which we think is good given that OH is late 80s and I am mid 70s.

chelseababy Thu 29-Nov-18 19:30:12

National federation of occupational pensioners - annual policy runs from March. Just have to be fit to travel. They have recently introduced a waiting period and an age limit.

Marydoll Thu 29-Nov-18 16:37:37

I moved from Staysure to All Clear.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 16:36:26

The premiums were really high with Staysure.

I used Staysure for two years and they were fairly reasonable but the third year they put the quote up by £150 for a 45 day trip - despite me having no claims and including a 10% discount sent in a birthday card from them.

Last year I insured with AllClear and they were considerably cheaper.

However, it's best to get a few quotes.

www.money.co.uk/travel-insurance/annual-travel-insurance.htm

M0nica Thu 29-Nov-18 16:18:40

We do it through the free travel insurance which comes with our bank account. We both pay a supplement because we are now over 75 and DH's is enhanced because he has high blood pressure and diabetes.

All our travel in recent years has been in Europe, we might upgrade our insurance if we were travelling further afield.

Thingmajig Thu 29-Nov-18 10:25:23

We got a good deal through payingtoomuch.com for our annual travel insurance last time. That said, husband isn't so old and has only minor medical issues.
Might be worth a look anyway!

Blue45Sapphire Thu 29-Nov-18 07:58:29

DH was very difficult to insure, (cancer and a stroke) , and it cost an arm and a leg - Staysure wanted over £2000 for a two week cruise. MIA are very good, £350 joint insurance for the same cruise.
Eventually a friend put us onto a civil service insurance company, (DH was a retired civil servant).
You need to join the Civil Servants Pensioners Alliance, only open to retired civil servants, and then you have access to their wonderful insurance - no medical screening, you just need to be fit to travel. It used to be under £300 a year, joint annual insurance, renews automatically every year.
DH died in February, and luckily, it is still open to me, so I have renewed as a single.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Nov-18 19:45:24

The premiums were really high with Staysure. Perhaps we’re too dilapidated! They didn’t like DH’s cirrhosis (non alcoholic related). It’s pretty static and he’s more likely to die from old age but....

Lisagran Wed 14-Nov-18 19:28:20

Stay sure recommended - dealt quickly with a claim last year

Opal Wed 14-Nov-18 18:48:57

We've used Staysure for the past couple of years and the premiums seem reasonable. We're in the middle of a claim at the moment, so will let you know if we have any problems smile.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Nov-18 18:48:15

Now studying moneysavingexpert and will ring Insure and Go tomorrow.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Nov-18 18:45:35

Yes it does, thanks.

Sar53 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:44:48

My OH has been in remission from Hodgkin's Lymphoma for nearly 3 years and he also has Type 2 Diabetes. We have a one year policy for Europe with Insure and Go and they exclude them. We only pay a small extra amount for my high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I think we paid about £130 earlier this year. Hope this helps.

midgey Wed 14-Nov-18 18:31:52

Try www.moneysavingexpert.com they can be very helpful.

Daddima Wed 14-Nov-18 17:54:58

I always look at comparethemarket, and I’ve heard good reports about one called ‘ insurewith’ or something similar.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Nov-18 17:51:20

I need to pick your collective brains. Best Beloved turns 75 next year which apparently is the age when holiday insurance companies expects him to snuff it or collapse with something serious while abroad. Between us we do have quite a list of various complaints and conditions which the doctors are keeping an eye on. But none are causing major problems at present.

Has anyone found an insurance company which gives annual travel insurance which doesn’t cost both arms and legs?