Gransnet forums

Travel

The Caribbean

(63 Posts)
Teetime Thu 31-Jan-19 12:22:05

I am thinking about taking a holiday next winter in the Caribbean and was hoping for some recommendations please re destinations, cruises, hotels etc. I have never been there but always fancied and I think I now have DH on board! Thank you in advance.

knspol Fri 01-Feb-19 10:57:47

Didn't enjoy Caribbean cruise at all. By the time ship has docked and you're on dry land everybody on the islands knows a cruise ship is in port and the touts are all there pestering you to buy things. The prices in the shops go up too when a ship is in port. Apart from all that hassle you get a very limited time on each island, maybe only a few hours, and never get to know what a place is really like. Much better to pick an island and visit just one place but that's only my opinion.

mancgirl Fri 01-Feb-19 10:59:30

We have been to Antigua, Aruba and Barbados. Barbados is by far our favourite. We have been 7 times, last trip in November. Beautiful beaches, friendly people and very safe.

mabon1 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:08:20

If you've seen one of the islands you've seen the lot. Would never go again.

GrammaH Fri 01-Feb-19 11:14:45

We're going to Barbados for the third time this year. We love the friendliness if the people, the else if driving around and the beautiful beaches, of course! We have also had 3 fabulous holidays in Jamaica which has the most stunning scenery and is absolutely nothing like either Barbados or Antigua, where we have also had an excellent holiday. The topography, geography & ambience differ widely from island to island.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:17:05

Did you see them all then mabon?

We only visted about five but even on those the contrast between the sanitised tourist areas and the poor areas and also between islands, was, according to DD who worked out there, immense.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 11:18:52

Disagree about St Lucia, been there a couple of times and loved it. Loved the other islands too. The people are lovely and friendly, not at all like city hotels in many countries. Very laid back so don't expect flash service. Great food and very relaxing. If you go all inclusive you never need to leave the hotel.

On one visit we used the local minibus and were the only white people on it. They all insisted that I sat in the front by the driver. All lovely, all chatty. If you get away from the touristy areas there is quite a lot of poverty and in some islands they pretty much rely on tourism and bananas. This could be one of the reasons they are so welcoming. In all our visits I have only seen one beggar.

cheekychops61 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:21:09

We went on our first Caribbean cruise last March with Celebrity cruises. Travelled with friends as this was our first time. We visited the ABC islands namely Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao also Antigua and St Martin. We had a fab time but I was pleased our friends knew the ropes as they were frequent cruisers. I would recommend booking tours independently as the ship ones are expensive. Our friends husband booked a trip for each island via trip advisor and they were great and reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend a room on the ship with a balcony, great when coming into and leaving the port. The only problem we had was with BA. Our flight from Newcastle to Heathrow was on time but they cancelled the flight from Heathrow to Miami where we were due to board the ship the following day. I personally would never fly with them again although I have heard Virgin are good.

Kim19 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:28:15

I'm another one for St. Lucia. It's the only island I've visited so have no comparison but I would return at a whisper. Found the people delightful but spent much of our time on a large estate/farm with private beach. A constant lovely memory which I cherish.

janeainsworth Fri 01-Feb-19 11:29:35

We went to Barbados 7 years ago and I would love to go again.
Friendly people and beautiful beaches.
Most of the resorts are on the west side which is sheltered, but we also took the bus over to the east side where the coast is more rocky and the sea rougher.
We visited a beautiful garden up in the hills too.
Enjoyed every minute.

Madmartha Fri 01-Feb-19 11:30:08

Obag: we’ve visited most of the Caribbean islands on cruises over the years, and holidayed on St Vincent, St Lucia and Barbados many times and never had vaccinations as they have never been required. Last year we visited Panama Canal, Colombia, Costa Rica etc and although it was mooted that a Yellow Fever vaccination was needed if you were planning jungle treks etc our GP advised against it as we were over 70 and there were highly possible side effects. We didn’t have it, had a fabulous time, and are fit as fiddles still!

chrissyh Fri 01-Feb-19 12:13:15

We have had 3 two week cruises where you get to see quite a few of the islands in one trip. I would suggest a cruise so you can see if there are any you would like to stay for a holiday another time. All three have been back to back cruises where you fly to say Jamaica, have a day at sea then call at 5 different islands, back to Jamaica where you have a free day, a day at sea and another 5 islands. I love all the islands but don't think there is enough to do for a holiday unless you want some R & R and spend quite a bit of the time at the pool or at the beach. We've been with Princess (who have their own island) and also Marella (Thomson). Whatever you do have a wonderful time.

leeds22 Fri 01-Feb-19 12:33:50

Barbados is a lovely island, particularly if you are sun worshipper but with enough sightseeing choices too. I love Cuba, we did a cruise from Montego Bay, stopping at various fantastic towns around Cuba. The people on both islands are welcoming.

leeds22 Fri 01-Feb-19 12:38:57

Perhaps I should add, I’ve been to about 12 Caribbean islands and honestly, apart from Cuba, I would settle for a Greek island any day.

goose1964 Fri 01-Feb-19 14:20:31

I've been to St Lucia, Barbados and Dominican Republic all the islands were very friendly. On Barbados especially we mixed with the locals and everyone was truly lovely. The St Lucians are rightly very proud of the beauty of the island. We also had a great time in the DR but you really need to check reviews of the hotel as there are some real dives but also some excellet hotels, we stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada which was a 10 out of 10 hotel but people staying a a nearby RIU were suffering a D&V bug

glammagran Fri 01-Feb-19 15:40:20

Went on cruise round Caribbean last year. Loved all the Dutch buildings in Curaçao, the botanical gardens in Guadalupe and the scenery of St Lucia.

Been to the Domican Republic on 3 occasions in 1989, 2008 and 2018 for a fortnight each time. On every occasion I have become really unwell so will NOT return. Shame because south coast beaches are beautiful.

Esspee Fri 01-Feb-19 16:29:36

We returned from Tobago a little over a week ago. Of all the islands this is our favourite for a relaxing sun, sea and sand vacation. Thomas Cook does charter flights here at a very reasonable cost.
The best beaches in Tobago are in the south west corner. My two choices (depending on your budget) are Crown Point Beach Hotel (one of their cabanas) and Coco Reef. Both flank the beautiful Store Bay and are within walking distance of Pigeon Point (Tobago's most photographed beach). That corner of the island, near to the airport, also has the most eating places.
Hiring a car for a few days allows you to do a complete tour of the island and visit the numerous beautiful beaches and the rainforest.
I have visited about 20 islands and the other ones I can recommend are Antigua, Grenada, and Barbados - in that order. We only go to Tobago now as it is perfect for our requirements.
Happy to send you photos if you PM me.

garnet25 Fri 01-Feb-19 16:57:09

Have been to Tobago, St Lucia, Grenada, and Dominica on holidays not cruises. Its very true what knspol says they put the prices way up for cruise visitors. If you like nature as we do, Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) is absolutely brilliant and the people are really friendly. Otherwise, we like Tobago, Grenada and St Lucia in that order. Check wherever you want to go for seaweed before you book some beaches are having a lot of problems with it.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-Feb-19 17:49:38

Grass skirts, bikini tops and some tiny paper umbrellas. You'll live on the beach and in the water so why pay for an hotel? wink

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 18:03:28

I would have loved to have gone to Cuba....

SunnySusie Fri 01-Feb-19 19:34:04

Loved Cuba. We toured around and there is a blissful lack of traffic outside Havana, also of course a lack of shops or consumer goods, but we thought that was a plus. No adverts either. Also loved Dominica, although I believe it was ravaged by the 2017 hurricane and is struggling to recover. There used to be a fabulous hiking trail and they were trying to go down the eco tourism route (hardly any beaches). Its quite undeveloped. Also been to Martinique, which is basically France with sun, Antigua - lots of beaches and cruise ships and St Lucia - lots of Brits and quite crowded when we were there in February.

Jane10 Fri 01-Feb-19 20:21:28

Every time I watch 'Death in Paradise' I want to visit Saint Marie but and obviously deterred by high death toll. Its nearly as dangerous as Midsummer.

jeanblew Fri 01-Feb-19 20:43:29

We got a really good deal at the Tropikist hotel in Tobago, all inclusive and you can stay for 7, 10, or 14 nights. We stayed for 10 and it was wonderful. We hired a car for 5 days to tour the island or you can use the local buses. It gives you a flavour of the weather, people, culture etc and you can just relax and enjoy a free martini by the pool.
Otherwise we did do a Cruise and Maritime cruise which went to several Caribbean islands and loved docking at a new island every day.

glammagran Fri 01-Feb-19 21:47:58

Visited Death in Paradise set on Guadalupe. There is a narrow road (closed while filming) between the bar and the seating area at “Catherine’s bar” which is really small. Actually looks better on TV.
We also had no idea only Euros are used in Guadalupe and Martinique.

52bright Fri 01-Feb-19 22:52:19

Visited the Carribean last February. Did a cruise and stay which suited us very well. A week cruising around some of the islands then a week on Barbados.

This suited us better than a 2 week cruise. Many of the islands are very small. Mostly lovely but we found a day a shore for each was fine. Then a week on Barbados gave us plenty of time to explore this beautiful island.

Obviously on the cruise you need to be on and off the ship at given times which was fine for the one week but we liked also doing things in a more leisurely way the second week ashore.

rafichagran Fri 01-Feb-19 23:05:39

I love Jamaica lovely hotels and places to visit. Never felt unsafe there.