Gransnet forums

Travel

The Caribbean

(63 Posts)
Teetime Thu 31-Jan-19 12:22:05

I am thinking about taking a holiday next winter in the Caribbean and was hoping for some recommendations please re destinations, cruises, hotels etc. I have never been there but always fancied and I think I now have DH on board! Thank you in advance.

Anniel Sat 02-Feb-19 13:34:39

Greetings from St Lucia! I live here in the winter because my son is here with three Jack Russells and I just adore them. CraftyCat I am sorry you were not keen on this island and had a bad experience, but St Lucia is a beautiful island and people are generally friendly.
If I was coming to the Caribbean for the first time I would go on a cruise which takes in many different islands and you can have a preliminary look so you can see which you like
When my husband was alive we did quite a few Caribbean cruises, mainly with P&O or Royal Caribbean. P&O are very British but Royal Caribbean have newer bigger ships and offer good value. I hope you visit and enjoy yourselves!

ClaraB Sat 02-Feb-19 21:50:36

We have visited Antigua three times and it's our favourite, we just found the people to be the friendliest. We have also been to St Lucia and Barbados and have just booked a cruise for later this month visiting the Southern Caribbean to discover some different islands.

Jane10 Sat 02-Feb-19 21:53:56

Cruise and stay sounds lovely. I'll need to check that out!

52bright Sun 03-Feb-19 01:06:23

Do check cruise and stay out Jane 10. Its a good way to give cruising a go. If you love it you can go on a longer cruise next time. If you find it's not for you, then you still have half your holiday left to explore before you go home.

Framilode Sun 03-Feb-19 07:41:00

Visited many of the islands.. All have things to recommend them but, for us, Tobago was by far the best.

dalby Sun 03-Feb-19 11:04:26

Caribbean is wonderful you will love it . However bear in mind winter weather here we have just lost our Caribbean cruise due to being completely snowbound even though we were going to airport a day early
Still snowbound and flight has gone. One very disappointed and upset family .

Teetime Sun 03-Feb-19 11:50:44

Thank you so much for all this help... I haven't been on for a few days so I will read carefully through. Thank you. flowers

Kazza1 Sun 03-Feb-19 12:44:56

Have just returned from Cuba, if you want to see it go on a cruise as the food and service is dreadful.

PECS Sun 03-Feb-19 16:34:47

oh.. not what friends have experienced when they have been, Sorry to hear you were disappointed..i have only heard positive feedback. Maybe I have 'cheap' friends! grin

JenniferEccles Mon 04-Feb-19 17:02:05

Oh dalby what a shame. I can imagine how disappointed you must be.

It was always my fear too that snow here would prevent us getting to the airport, and had also planned to book into an airport hotel a day early if any bad weather was on the cards.

Jane10 Mon 04-Feb-19 19:12:04

Oh dalby! That's awful. I'm so sorry. Is there no chance you could catch up with the ship?

dalby Mon 04-Feb-19 21:38:41

Thanks for your kind thoughts. No chance of catching ship just crossing fingers and toes that the insurance will cover the costs involved.Just hard coming to terms with losing a special family holiday that has been booked for months.
A Caribbean cruise is such a relaxed and fun holiday I can highly recommend it.
We thought going a day early would be fine short of camping out at airport for a few days before I don’t know how we could have avoided this disaster .
Time our town sorted out the road and snow situationangry.