Gransnet forums

Travel

The Caribbean

(62 Posts)
holcott48 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:09:22

Just home (before the snow). Antigua - you MUST go swimming with the stingrays. Very professional, not at all scary, incredibly memorable, even if over 70yrs! You are a couple of miles out to sea, still less than chest height water, and they are used to being fed, though still wild. Treat them gently and they are gentle with you.
Grenada the nicest people.

Coconut Fri 01-Feb-19 10:08:42

You are truly spoilt for choice in the Caribbean, my favourite tho is Cuba.

cookiemonster66 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:01:21

We have been to the Caribbean loads of times. We found Dominican Rep. to be quite Spanish feeling, good fun. Done Jamaica 3 times staying in 5* but never felt safe. Antigua & Barbados were lovely and friendly. Cuba was very interesting with all the history. It takes a few days to wind down to their pace of life, but love and miss going so much!

Buffybee Thu 31-Jan-19 20:09:21

You will love the Caribbean, beautiful Islands and lovely people.
We have been on Cruises but I personally prefer staying a couple on weeks on an Island and my favourite is still Barbados where we stay at The Coral Reef Club.

Jalima1108 Thu 31-Jan-19 18:19:27

When are you thinking of Teetime? The hurricane season lasts until about the end of November.

JenniferEccles Thu 31-Jan-19 18:08:15

We have usually had full days in the islands on the cruises we have done.

Typically the ship gets in about 7 to 8am then leaves again around 5 to 5.30pm, so plenty of time to explore. In fact as some islands are quite small, it is possible to virtually see the whole island in a day.

Some of the larger islands such as Cuba and Jamaica though would need a couple of weeks to see everything.

Anyway I always say that if we can't do everything we want to on one cruise, then that's a good excuse to book another one next year!

annsixty Thu 31-Jan-19 16:36:29

My D lived in Antigua for 3 years
We could only visit twice due to illness but it was beautiful.
Lots of beautiful beaches a short distance from anywhere and great restaurants.
I would love to go back.

johnsam Thu 31-Jan-19 16:15:01

These are the ones I've visited and they were superbly awesome;

Grand Cayman
Abaco
Antigua
Tortola
St Maarten

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:36:25

Antigua, St.Lucia and Aruba are really friendly Islands.

I have never been on a cruise (I am frightened of the sea), but lots of friends have, they say it's good to see lots of different places but as you are only ashore for a limited time you cannot always get the "feel" of the Islands.

Liz46 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:26:11

We are off to Cuba soon for the third time. We like it, the people are very friendly and although there are sometimes shortages, the food is good.

JenniferEccles Thu 31-Jan-19 12:53:28

The Caribbean is wonderful Teetime especially in this time of year to escape our cold weather!

We have been several times on a cruise which is great as you get to visit different islands, rather than just staying on one island in a hotel.

We usually go with P and O . They charter a plane so everyone on the flight will be on the cruise. We fly to and from Barbados, and are often onboard around an hour after landing as the immigration details are all done at the cruise terminal.

All the islands are slightly different, and it's wonderful waking up each day to a different island to explore.

I'm sure you would love it!

Teetime Thu 31-Jan-19 12:22:05

I am thinking about taking a holiday next winter in the Caribbean and was hoping for some recommendations please re destinations, cruises, hotels etc. I have never been there but always fancied and I think I now have DH on board! Thank you in advance.