Gransnet forums

Travel

Applying for eta

(12 Posts)
Menopaws Mon 04-Feb-19 11:08:11

My goodness! I offered to help one of my older tenants apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization to Canada. Now I am reasonably computer literate but what a performance and how the hell anyone who is not does this I do not know. There are no contact numbers, even Canada house says via a message they do not answer the phone and only respond to emails but no promise when.
I know this is the way forward and I'm happy with that but I have had the most frustrating days and worrying nights, wishing I had never offered to help, which is a shame.
I'm happy to press any number of buttons but I just needed some human advice and even the travel agents cannot do anything any more.
As it happened the outcome was ok (she had a bloody Canadian passport squirrelled away but forgot to tell me!)
Anyway just venting as those are a few hours I won't get back!

CassieJ Mon 04-Feb-19 11:14:28

I have a ETA for Canada and can't remember it being that difficult to apply for. I applied for mine and my son's 2 years ago with no problems.
Luckily they are valid about 3 years so I won't need to apply for another just yet.

silverlining48 Mon 04-Feb-19 11:34:07

We have intensely disliked the hours we have spent jumping through hoops to get a visa online for India, even more than the high cost.

Izabella Mon 04-Feb-19 12:11:07

Its quite straightforward, as is the ESTA for the USA but I suppose that's easy for me to say as I have done several. I just wanted to say that in case anyone is put off doing it themselves.

Menopaws Mon 04-Feb-19 12:33:47

Yes it is easy but this lady needed to produce more documents and there was where it got difficult

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Feb-19 12:37:16

As it happened the outcome was ok (she had a bloody Canadian passport squirrelled away but forgot to tell me!)
I shouldn't have laughed but it was in disbelief Menopaws

Poor you!

Menopaws Mon 04-Feb-19 15:35:51

I've spent the morning in disbelief but I'm really going to beware next time I offer my help Jalima! My job is to support these people and I take pride doing it properly but this one made me rethink how much I give

EllanVannin Mon 04-Feb-19 15:51:04

Billy Muggins springs to my mind.

Izabella Tue 05-Feb-19 11:23:53

Menopaws - apologies. Did not take in the part about needing extra papers.

Menopaws Tue 05-Feb-19 19:42:27

That's ok I didn't actually say that at the start!

jeanie99 Thu 07-Feb-19 01:50:00

The most time consuming Visa we have applied for was to Russia.
It is different if you are arriving by cruise ship where the cruise line will get the Visa for you. Having said that I understand you will only be allowed into the country in a group.
We had to list all the countries we had visited in the last 10 years with the dates of entry and exit.
A huge list of questions regarding our parents, our education the questions went on and on.
We had to provide a list of the places we were visiting and register at the first hotel, we were not allowed to drive to any area we had not listed in the application.

Our second visit to India was a problem also because you have to apply in your own country and there is a time limit to you arriving. Our arrival was later than the advanced notice so we could not get the Visa what a performance. We were told we could apply but there was no guarantee our application would be granted and not only that but the cost would not be returned if unsuccessful.

BradfordLass72 Thu 07-Feb-19 03:12:57

Try applying for a "free" (you have to pay fifteen dollars!) Gold Hop Card here which supposedly allows the over 65s free rides on Auckland buses or trains.

I am convinced Auckland Transport has deliberately made it as frustrating and difficult as possible for elders and the disabled. It's an absolute nightmare.

Thus, at the present count, over 73,000 eligible people in this city have not been able to claim what the law says is rightfully theirs.