Gransnet forums

Travel

Travelling with a disability

(5 Posts)
Jonna Sun 17-Feb-19 11:57:50

If you have a disability - especially if you’ve only recently become disabled then travelling and going on holiday both at home and abroad can be a daunting prospect. However with a little planning and aforethought there’s not a lot to worry about. I’ve been a double leg amputee and permanent wheelchair user since I was two years old and have travelled extensively, first as a child with my parents but also as an adult both with my children, on my own and more recently with my wife. I’ve travelled extensively both in Europe and to such far away places as Thailand, Australia, Borneo, China and the USA. In April we’ll be adding Japan to our list. If you’ve ever wondered about travelling abroad but haven’t dared take the plunge due to disability I’d be glad to share some of my experiences and tips with you.

Essentialaids Fri 22-Feb-19 08:57:34

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jeanie99 Wed 27-Feb-19 08:50:06

Jonna,
What a wonderful post I did so enjoy reading about your travels.
I've always thought it must be extremely difficult to be a wheelchair user and do independent travel and I'm sure your post will be an inspiration to others to get out there and travel.
My only restriction in my early years was lack of funds so in the early 1960s I started hitch hiking and staying in hostels. I remember selling my blood when I ran out of money, unthinkable these days but the world was very different then.
Best of luck on your future travel plans.

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-19 09:51:57

Opps we pressed enter too soon - see post below

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-19 09:57:22

Thank you for this helpful post. Coincidentally, we are running a Q&A on accessible travel with an expert from Silver Travel Advisor so you can leave questions on that too.

Accessible travel Q&A