Gransnet forums

Travel

Rail cards

(7 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 14-Mar-19 05:57:30

I have a senior card, if I had a husband I would expect him to have his own When I take the grandkids out their mum gives me hers as I m named as the second person on it, then I give it back when I return
I don’t understand what your problem is

GabriellaG54 Wed 13-Mar-19 23:03:59

I buy my railcard with Tesco points so pay what is, in essence, 1/3 the cost ie: £10.

grannyticktock Wed 13-Mar-19 11:52:40

It's also worth seeing whether your local (County) council gives a discount. If Devon residents buy through the Council website, they get a reduction (20% I think), but only on a one-year card, which makes it better value than the three-year. I also prefer a one-year card because I may only use it two or three times a year. My last trip was just before my card expired in November, and I will renew it this month for an upcoming trip at the end of the month, so I will be covered until next March.

GrandmaKT Tue 05-Mar-19 19:20:29

In case anyone doesn't know, you can get a senior railcard for £10 worth of Tesco clubcard vouchers.

M0nica Tue 05-Mar-19 19:14:34

DH and I both have our own separate rail cards. We travel sometimes on our own and sometimes together. If we have grandchildren with us we just buy them ordinary tickets. Children under 5 travel free and their are children's rates for 5 - 15s. By the time they are 16, I expect they will have student cards of some sort. We haven't reached that stage yet.

I must confess I cannot really see any problem.

MawBroon Tue 05-Mar-19 18:52:01

I don’t quite see why not. confused
Not all of us travel with a husband or with grandchildren! Does your husband not qualify for a Senior railcard too?
I use my Senior Railcard just about every week and it must have paid for itself several times over. I bought a 3 year one which offered an even better saving but of course a bigger outlay.
I think the range of cards offered covers most people’s circumstances.

granh1 Tue 05-Mar-19 18:36:45

Frustrating to see an offer today - I bought one last week!
I also find it frustrating that the railcards are so inflexible. I really need a senior one to travel alone, a two together to travel with husband and a friends and family to travel with grandchildren. Having to buy three for these eventualities is not feasible, so I travel alone. These cards do not reflect the way people live - such a pity!