Gransnet forums

Travel

Staffordshire

(27 Posts)
Knittynatter Fri 10-May-19 12:39:31

3 of us have a couple of nights booked at Trentham Gardens premier inn. Besides the gardens can anyone recommend other attractions in the area? (3 youthful thinking Grannies! ?)

Missfoodlove Fri 10-May-19 12:47:51

You are in the potteries so a visit to the museums and factory shops could be interesting.
There is the Dorothy Clive Garden,Bridgemere Garden centre and Dagfields Antiques centre the last 3 are all within a couple of miles of each other.
There are plenty of outstanding gastro pubs in the area.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-May-19 13:30:20

Shugborough is worth a visit. It has recently been take over by the Natonal Trust. Was the ancestral home of the Anson family and the last person to actualy live their was the Queen's cousin and photographer Patrick Lichfield.

The National Arboretum Staffordshire.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-May-19 13:30:57

There not their.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-May-19 13:33:04

Biddulph Grange gardens are lovely.

annsixty Fri 10-May-19 13:38:04

How youthful are you?
There is always Alton Towers!!!

Callistemon Fri 10-May-19 13:40:11

Depending on which way you are travelling, The Roaches and also Dovedale are worth a visit - people tend to forget that part of the Peak District is in Staffordshire.

The Wedgwood Factory and Museum is not far away.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-May-19 13:44:35

ann of course I had forgotten Alton Towers.
If the rides are not the OP's cup of tea,the gardens are lovely.

Febmummaofaboy Fri 10-May-19 15:08:27

Emma Bridgewater and Shugborough Estate, Stone is a close town and has lots of lovely restaurants. You are close to stoke on Trent and they have alot going on there too smile

Knittynatter Fri 10-May-19 18:23:55

Thanks very much for all your ideas although I shouldn’t think we will be checking out Alton Towers ? ?

GrandmaKT Fri 10-May-19 18:37:13

Another vote for Biddulph Grange. The gardens are beautiful.

midgey Fri 10-May-19 18:40:56

Gladstone pottery, Middleport and Spode all are well worth a visit but you may need transport!

Sook Fri 10-May-19 18:59:52

Little Moreton Hall, which is not far from Biddulph Grange both are NT properties. The lovely market town of Nantwich which has an outdoor brine swimming pool. Market days are twice weekly Thursday and Saturday. It's a quaint little town with it's black and white timbered buildings. StMarys church aka the Cathedral of South Cheshire. Plenty of cafes and restaurants and a variety of individual shops amongst the usual high street stores. Enjoy xx

Chewbacca Fri 10-May-19 19:01:52

Wedgwood Pottery Factory Shop is worth a look if you like their china ware.
Trentham Monkey Forest is just at the back of Trentham Gardens and is very interesting.

monkey-forest.com

jura2 Thu 16-May-19 21:08:10

SEcond Biddulph Grange and lovely Little Moreton Hall.

When we lived in the Potteries, Trentham Gardens were very small and run down - we really must go and visit soon.

In the early 70s- Alton Towers had one Merrygoround! But the gardens were and still are gorgeous- down to the Orangerie and the Chinese Pavillon, and down the stream to the wild area. Such a shame it is no longer possible to visit the garden alone.

Callistemon Fri 17-May-19 11:28:06

Alton Towers used to be lovely up until then jura! I last visited in 1977.

Blinko Fri 17-May-19 11:32:20

I second (third/fourth?) Biddulph Grange and Little Moreton Hall. Nantwich too is a lovely market town. Staffs is a less well known area, but it's well worth spending some time seeing the sights. Enjoy your stay.

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 12:15:37

Friend and myself enjoyed a weekend in Staffordshire many years ago. Trentham gardens was lovely and we visited Tamworth castle as wherever we went we had to visit a castle.

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 11:11:27

Callistemon, as we have several friends who live in Alton - we have visited a few times with free tickets, and headed straight to the garden well away from the rides and the shops, cafés, etc.

David0205 Sun 19-May-19 11:29:39

Tatton Park should be nice this time of year, Dorothy Clive is a must and Arley Hall at Northwich.

midgey Sun 19-May-19 12:11:40

Jura2 you will be blown away by Trentham! The gardens are really amazing and the many shops well worth a visit. You will need lots of money though!

Resurgam123 Sun 19-May-19 14:17:47

About 4miles up the road for me.

Dont try and get the on the M6 though.

The potteries are quite an interesting place really .

jura2 Sun 19-May-19 21:14:23

So a few Pottery grans then - we lived at the old Hospital on Hartshill for a while, then moved to our first little house in the Westlands, off Beresford Crescent. Happy Days - our DD1 was born there, at the General.

jura2 Wed 22-May-19 11:48:49

Really must find time to go and visit again- see our little house at the end of the cul-de-sac and see what has replaced Shelton Steel Bar- and see what the Hospital is like now. And of course, Trentham Gardens smile

Juliette Wed 22-May-19 14:50:38

Jura Shelton Bar was replaced in 1986 by the very successful Garden Festival. Now a popular retail park.

Berrisford Crescent is just as you left it as is the whole of the Westlands. Lots of student houses however, which weren’t there in your day. Being half way between Keele and what is now The University Hospital of North Staffordshire UHNS for short, makes it an ideal area for students.

The new hospital is still a work in progress. Parts of the old workhouse, which became the City General not the entire buildings just the facias, have been listed and retained.

Sandy Clubb, if I remember correctly from a previous thread was your consultant as he was mine, is still alive and well.
Hope you’re able to visit sometime, lots of changes mostly for the better.