Gransnet forums

Travel

So excited!

(43 Posts)
B9exchange Tue 18-Jun-19 15:30:54

On Sunday we leave for Kenya, to visit the children we sponsor. People have been so kind in giving us clothes and shoes for them, it will be difficult to get the cases closed!

It will be 'hello and goodbye' to mine, as she is now out of sponsorship after 16 years and about to make her own way in the world, and hopefully out of the slum where she is living as a single mum. (Her own mother has been very kindly looking after the child whilst she completes her education), The girl now plans to work as a DJ to raise funds for her college place, I am really proud of now hard she has worked.

DH also sponsors a football mad 10 year old, so he will be indoctrinated to support DH's football team!

Apart from that we will do a four night safari, and also a six night beach holiday in Zanzibar. DH's health is not as good as it was, so we may never be able to do a trip like this again, but the excitement is bubbling out of me, I had to tell you all! grin

ginny Tue 18-Jun-19 15:36:35

Oh wow! Have a great time.

B9exchange Tue 18-Jun-19 15:50:09

Thank you ginny!

annsixty Tue 18-Jun-19 15:57:58

Well done you and have a wonderful time.
How rewarding to see just what your sponsorship has achieved.

FarNorth Tue 18-Jun-19 16:07:19

That sounds wonderful! And I'm sure your sponsored young people will be so happy to meet you both too.
Have a brilliant time! sunshine

Framilode Tue 18-Jun-19 16:11:10

Have a brilliant time. I love Kenya and have been many times. Such a beautiful country.

B9exchange Tue 18-Jun-19 16:49:45

You are right Framilode, it is beautiful, and the people are so friendly and happy, even though they have so little.

Seeing how they live with no electricity and one single loo pit shared between families makes me feel incredibly guilty that we in this country have so much. But I also feel quite privileged that I have the chance to try and make a difference to one or two people.

Poppyred Tue 18-Jun-19 16:55:35

Wow well done you! I hope you have a fabulous time.

Forgoodnesssake Wed 19-Jun-19 10:00:08

Wow. Have a wonderful time you lovely couple

Molly10 Wed 19-Jun-19 10:09:01

Be safe and enjoy your trip. x

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jun-19 10:15:17

Well done for supporting these children over the years, it will have made a big difference to their lives. it’s only when we see true poverty we realise and appreciate quite how lucky we are. Have a wonderful trip.

Mapleleaf Wed 19-Jun-19 10:35:35

Have a fantastic time. Thank you for sharing with us your story. You must be so proud.

moggie57 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:51:29

thats really wonderful. your sponser must be feeling really blessed to have a person like you...i feel quite envious.....kenya is a very welcoming place. i had a penpal there till this year when she passed away from heart problems.i provided money for her medicines for at least 10 years.go have a wonderful time.

Grannysmith Wed 19-Jun-19 14:09:42

What a lovely story. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I was born & bred in Kenya, returning to the UK when I was 18 (am now 67). My grandmother emigrated to Kenya in 1920, my mother was also born in Nairobi. Sadly, poverty has led to corruption & violence in this beautiful country. I still well up with tears when I see the magnificent animals & breathtaking countryside.

chrissyh Wed 19-Jun-19 14:34:54

Have a wonderful time and let us all know how you get on.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Jun-19 14:40:51

Have a fabulous time B9exchange, how did you get on with the vaccinations?

Did you have all the recommend ones or just Yellow Fever?

Are you taking malaria tablets?

Sorry for all the questions but we are going to Kenya to visit AS and DIL October/November and we are finding conflicting information on various sites.

evianers Wed 19-Jun-19 14:51:57

We have 5 children in India [not literally, but sponsored]. We chose four girls and were given one boy. The girls especially need our help we feel. There are more than 2000 children in this Catholic school/Orphanage who benefit from the largesse of European "parents". Our eldest girl has just completed her BSc. in Commerce and the second girl is studying engineering. Doubtless without help they would not have had much education but can now look forward to a much brighter future. They study hard which means we can be proud of their achievements.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 19-Jun-19 15:05:23

Well done and I ope you enjoy every minute of your trip. I use to sponsor a child years ago but it stopped and I never started again, but I am going to do it now. You have all inspired me.

sweetcakes Wed 19-Jun-19 15:10:50

I hope you have a wonderful time in Kenya. It will be great to finally meet the children that you have helped along the way. Take care ?☀️???????

Beejo Wed 19-Jun-19 15:42:06

Fabulous! Good for you - have the best, most brilliant time, you deserve it.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 19-Jun-19 15:50:31

Enjoy yourselves, and please do let us know how the trip went when you get back.

AcornFairy Wed 19-Jun-19 16:40:55

Wow! I'm in awe and I do hope you both have a fantastic time. It must be wonderful to be in a position where you can provide such life changing opportunities for others. I would love to be able to help people in that way but our funds don't stretch that far; not even far enough for a holiday in such exotic locations! As our charity begins (but will hopefully not end) at home, are there charity shops supporting your good work in the UK? What charity is it that you are involved with? Have a wonderful time in Kenya. [sunshine}

123kitty Wed 19-Jun-19 17:15:50

I know many people who sponsor children in African countries, but few of them get to meet their children, how lovely for you. Enjoy yourselves and have a wonderful holiday.

Elvive Wed 19-Jun-19 17:19:51

A much needed, uplifting post. Presumably not intended to be giving advice to foreigners on vaccination.

Herbie9 Wed 19-Jun-19 21:49:56

What a wonderful work you do B9exchange with your sponsorship, Since my dear gs died 3 years ago my dd and sil created a charity in his memory. This sponsors orphans in Kenya. Last year my sil visited the orphanage to help with redecorating there, The charity also sponsors 3 of the older children now at university. It is a registered charity and if any gns are interested I can give them details of as they organise several fundraising events anually. Enjoy your holiday in this great country.