Gransnet forums

Travel

UK weekend break by train

(33 Posts)
Graygirl Fri 02-Aug-19 15:15:02

I want to take DD to Liverpool next March for weekend ,want to go by train any recommendations for train/hotel booking company or site

DoraMarr Sun 04-Aug-19 10:10:48

The Hope Street hotel is lovely, with a great restaurant. I agree- book train and hotel separately and you have more choice.

KatyK Sun 04-Aug-19 10:13:20

If you want to go inside John Lennon's and Paul McCartney's childhood homes (which are fascinating if you are a Beatles fan) you have to book through The National Trust. With any other tours you can only go as far as the front gate.

KatyK Sun 04-Aug-19 10:15:35

We stayed in the Hard Days Night Hotel - expensive but it was a gift from our daughter. Beatles themed obviously. Central location.

chrissyh Sun 04-Aug-19 17:22:56

If you buy the train tickets well in advance you can get a very good deal. We didn't stay in a hotel so cannot recommend one but would recommend doing a Magical Mystery Tour tour if either of you like the Beatles. Can book on line. It is an amazing city - enjoy.

Grannynise Sun 04-Aug-19 19:20:12

I'm in Livetpool at the moment, staying in the Premier Inn in Vernon Street. Easy walking from Lime Street and the Walker Gallery etc. Not far from the dock area, excellent public transport. All reasonably priced too.

moggie57 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:38:04

super advance tickets..

notanan2 Mon 05-Aug-19 11:52:20

The cheapest way to book train travel is often to split your tickets. So you end up with say 7 single tickets each way. You can still reserve seats this way. The ticket offics can do it for you. Saves £££