Gransnet forums

Travel

India advice?

(11 Posts)
Cindersdad Sat 02-Nov-19 09:43:13

Thank you very much for your replies - as we are going 31/01/20 I will start the process nearer the time.

Granarchist Fri 01-Nov-19 18:04:46

PS use the official Indian High Commission website DO NOT USE any others which will cost more and not be reliable.

Granarchist Fri 01-Nov-19 18:03:51

you can do the whole thing on line - including using a scan of a photo you have taken yourself. I have done many for friends. Be careful when going thru the pages and write down any booking reference numbers and remember that what looks like a figure 1 maybe the letter I!!! They never seem to work first time but persevere and leave plenty of time and be patient - it does work!!!!!

Liz46 Fri 01-Nov-19 17:35:01

We go to our local photoshop who are good at making sure the photos follow all the rules. Have a great time.

Davidhs Fri 01-Nov-19 17:29:14

The correct website is indianvisaonline.gov.in the others are agencies.

Magsymoo Fri 01-Nov-19 17:01:24

You can only apply within 30 days of your trip. We too are going to India at the end of November and are just in the process of applying for the visa. It is complicated and fiddly so start the process as soon as you get into the 30 day window.

NfkDumpling Fri 01-Nov-19 16:54:41

Ditto what Riverwalk says. Its not difficult but give yourself plenty of time!

If it looks too daunting, in the past we’ve used CIBT Visa service.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Nov-19 16:53:21

Riverwalks post is correct.

Riverwalk Fri 01-Nov-19 16:10:24

No you can't get a visa on arrival in India.

To get the E-visa go to the Indian High Commission website then follow their link to the official site - commercial sites are more expensive.

Callistemon Fri 01-Nov-19 16:07:14

I don't know, cindersdad but didn't want your post to drop off the active list.

I do know that there are unscrupulous websites out there who will charge over the odds for a visa so would advise you to go through the official India immigration website.

One friend paid £40 to one of these websites for an Australian electronic holiday visa which should have been free.

Cindersdad Fri 01-Nov-19 15:24:37

My wife and I are going on a sightseeing trip to India in the New Year and we need a visa even though our stay just a week, the cost of a tourist E-visa varies from website to website and the government site is little better. We cannot just buy a visa on arrival. Anyone been there recently or knows how to the best price for a valid visa.