Gransnet forums

Travel

Walking in Nepal

(26 Posts)
mumofmadboys Sat 09-Nov-19 22:15:25

Has anyone been on a walking holiday in Nepal? I have been looking at trips with Exodus maybe walking the Annapurna Sanctuary Trek? Any experience or advice? Have yet to persuade DH that it is a good idea!

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Nov-19 09:13:37

Has no-one done this?

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Nov-19 09:19:27

Nope! Walking is a thing of the past for me. Perhaps you need to post this one on Mumsnet where they’re fitter!

Specky Sun 10-Nov-19 09:22:13

Im waiting for replies nearly as eagerly as you smile. Im contemplating a walking holiday but almost don't know where to start!

Specky Sun 10-Nov-19 09:41:16

Looking.. I meant! I know one foot goes in front of the other! smile

Fennel Sun 10-Nov-19 09:42:16

Not Nepal, but my younger sister did a trek in the foothills of the Himalayas, up to basecamp for Everest. She managed it, but had that altitude sickness thing. She spent weeks training beforehand.
We used to do a lot of walking, Scottish Highlands was my limit, husband spent a fortnight treking in the Pyrenees, east to west.
Have you read A short walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby?

Gaunt47 Sun 10-Nov-19 09:47:42

Fennel, great book - lovely no nonsense writing from Newby in the 50s (I think). Nowadays writers would be moaning about no wi-fi signal......
Reading about travels and travelling is not a bad substitute for the real thing IMO.

SueDonim Sun 10-Nov-19 13:40:09

Not myself, but I have a friend who has been walking in Nepal several times. She's actually there now! When she's back, I can ask her for tips.

Gonegirl Sun 10-Nov-19 13:42:14

What Nfk said. All I can do to walk down to the Co-op and back.

I do miss walking.

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Nov-19 15:28:27

Thanks all and for the book recommendation. We have booked to walk the West Highland Way next year with a couple of friends ( the easy way- B and B's, luggage transfer, packed lunches etc) But Nepal beckons!!

Farmor15 Sun 10-Nov-19 16:24:11

I know 2 couples who have done this. One, both in 70s and having a lot of experience of trekking, the other couple less experienced. Both got on fine.

Fennel Sun 10-Nov-19 18:00:38

@ Specky - we started our walking holidays in the Peak district and Yorkshire Dales. Then the Lake District - where I'd been before in my younger days. Then the Scottish Highlands, which are more physically demanding but so beautiful. We used to go back-packing.
Finally husband decided he wanted to go higher and tried the Pyrenees. He also had an idea to walk a long distance trail in the Rockies, USA, but thankfully gave up on that.
I wish I could still do it, but the memories and photos keep me going.

Fennel Sun 10-Nov-19 18:10:23

@ mumofmad boys - Hoping you'll enjoy the holiday. Good choice.
Try to fit in a swim in the sea at one of the many sandy bays nearby!

Specky Sun 10-Nov-19 18:36:38

Fennel... Which location was your preference? I have always done cycling holidays all over Europe with as few hills as possible.. I was fancying somewhere exciting for walking such as where the op refers to but now im thinking more local.. Umm!
Enjoy the west Highland way mumof.

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Nov-19 18:49:04

Thanks. I have walked the coast to coast from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay and the Northumberland coastal path before. Both very enjoyable. Used same company each time to book it. Please PM me if anyone wants a good company to book walking holidays with

Fennel Sun 10-Nov-19 19:36:16

Specky - it depends on what you're looking for.
The Lake district will always be beautiful, but the last time we were there it was too busy.
If you want to get away from it all, some of the Scottish glens used to be remote and peaceful. Don't know now.
I'm not an expert by any means, my experience is all from 20+ years ago.

petra Sun 10-Nov-19 19:47:46

I've got all my daughters photos of her trekking in Napal, i think that's as close as I'm going to get to it.

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Nov-19 19:50:21

I live in the Lakes. If you go off the tourist routes you can walk for hours without seeing anyone. I love the Scottish islands I have been to but still have many,many more I want to explore.

Specky Sun 10-Nov-19 19:57:57

Thanks ladies.. Im so decisive when booking cycling but dithering about walking. However, i think i will check out the lakes (never been there believe it or not). X

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Nov-19 20:19:42

You have a treat in store Specky!

grannyqueenie Sun 10-Nov-19 21:59:51

mumofmadboys my daughter did something like this a few years ago with a company called Oak Hall Holidays. She had a great time, despite getting caught up in a natural disaster abs scaring the life out of us!

Amagran Sun 10-Nov-19 23:06:45

I went on a trekking holiday in the Himalayas with Exodus when I retired. It was amazing, wonderful, so so memorable. It affected me in so many (good) ways. Family apart, it was the best thing I have ever done.

It was extremely well organised. It felt like a huge adventure, but also safe (well, as safe as the Rotang Pass allowed). The mountain roads are not for the faint-hearted! I would go again in a heartbeat.

mumofmadboys Mon 11-Nov-19 21:07:34

Thanks all for your input.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 22:21:33

My friend has got back to me from Nepal. She recommends Insight Himalaya which is run by Binod Rai. HTH!

mumofmadboys Mon 11-Nov-19 22:23:54

Thanks Sue