Gransnet forums

Travel

Low cost weekend away or holiday for family of 9

(17 Posts)
Party4 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:02:07

Would like to take the GC x5 away but has to be cheapish and school hols or just fri sat sun

rosecarmel Mon 13-Jan-20 20:59:02

Camping?

Chewbacca Mon 13-Jan-20 23:14:54

A Haven caravan site? They're all over the country and have something for everyone at their sites; heated swimming pools, etc. I think they do 3, 5 or 7 night stays and their caravans have everything you could possibly need.

tanith Tue 14-Jan-20 07:00:35

Our family do a week at the seaside every year at Haven a bit of a tradition for us. It works out not too expensive but the price will ramp up if you go in school holidays I’m afraid a weekend might be not too bad.

Party4 Sat 18-Jan-20 20:37:07

Can anybody make any suggestions on destinations somewhere fun and suitable for 11,10,8,7,6 yr olds not just busy sea side resorts but somewhere for them to have some low cost fun.

Chewbacca Sat 18-Jan-20 20:48:25

Centre Parcs?

vampirequeen Sat 18-Jan-20 20:50:27

Where do you live? Camping will give you that freedom. Children play freely on campsites.

Cherrytree59 Sat 18-Jan-20 21:05:42

Sun holidays as in the red top paper are 'open' at the moment.

No need to buy the paper.
Just Google Sun holiday codes
Follow link.
They have Haven and Parkdene sites in UK
Also cottages.
Advertise as £9.50 or £15 per person.

Minimum of 4 @ £9.50 or £15
So 2 people would still pay x 4
Also add in site fees.

I have booked Monday to Friday total £80.
Friday to Monday also available

Missfoodlove Sat 18-Jan-20 21:14:04

There are bunk barns around the UK that offer a great alternative to camping.
They tend to be in National Parks so there are always things to do nearby
The children would love the adventure and it’s a fraction of the cost of Centre Parks.

Missfoodlove Sat 18-Jan-20 21:15:06

Here’s a link. independenthostels.co.uk/england-bunkhouses-campingbarns-bunkbarns-hostels/

Party4 Mon 20-Jan-20 06:41:22

Thanks so much for your suggestions the site above was very good,On previous occasions we have stayed in suitable budget priced hotels but as we are now retired and trying to keep within a tighter budget will have to rethink .Dont want the kids to miss out on fun times we have though.Staying on farm like setting would be interesting and fun esp if find one with nearby activities or play areas.

Scentia Mon 20-Jan-20 06:50:54

www.visitconkers.com
This place is near me and they have YHA place to stay.
There is just so much for young people to do in this area and most of it low cost or even free

There is Confers itself, hicks lodge cycle centre, then a few miles up the road there is an indoor bounce place. Thrrr is also a nature forest a few miles the other way Rosliston Forest centre.

Look into it, I am lucky to live in such a wonderful place.

Missfoodlove Mon 20-Jan-20 09:29:34

Party4, there was a bunk barn near our previous home, the accommodation was basic but clean and well equipped.
It is as always occupied and usually by families, it had a barbecue a big garden and dogs were welcome and at less than £100 a night for 12 people it’s a steal!

Party4 Tue 21-Jan-20 08:52:35

Missfoodlove what area are the barn bunks which you describe above.

Granny23 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:15:36

Party You don't tell us where you are based, but if it is in the North of England then have you considered Scotland. The Scottish School holidays are earlier than the English ones, so prices drop when the Scottish schools go back, leaving a fortnight's opportunity for English based families.

This is one of our favourites: www.comriecroft.com
but there are hundreds more.

Missfoodlove Tue 21-Jan-20 10:04:02

Party4, the barns I know are in the Ribble Valley and North Yorkshire.

Missfoodlove Tue 21-Jan-20 10:11:55

I’ve just looked on the website.
It’s Downham camping barn £12pp per night.
It’s in a beautiful estate village handy for Clitheroe,Skipton and the Yorkshire Dales. The village has a pub and shop.
It’s an area of outstanding natural beauty with an awful lot to see and do.
The Pendle Witch trail is interesting and nearby Stonyhurst college was inspiration for Lord of the Rings.