Gransnet forums

Travel

City of Bath any been thermal baths spa where to stay ???

(34 Posts)
grove1234 Fri 31-Jan-20 15:36:32

Planing to go in the next week or so has anyone experience to give

MawtheMerrier Sat 21-Jan-23 05:55:57

MerylStreep

I think the OP just might have visited by now.
She’s asked the question in 2020

I thought this was familiar!

Obsidian Sat 21-Jan-23 01:34:55

I've wanted to visit Bath in England ever since I saw Rick Steves there on his travel show.

Oldbat1 Tue 29-Nov-22 21:10:57

Bath is just a beautiful City. In-laws lived there. I lived there for 4years and loved it. Met Dh there in 1971. Had a council flat in The Circus which was amazing but I didn’t appreciate it at the time. Would love to live there again.

MerylStreep Tue 29-Nov-22 17:14:41

I think the OP just might have visited by now.
She’s asked the question in 2020

BlueBalou Tue 29-Nov-22 17:07:08

We live 8 miles from Bath, it is a beautiful city but gets too crowded with tourists .

paddyann54 Tue 29-Nov-22 13:33:51

We haven't been since well before Covid.My SIL comes from Bath and thats where he and my daughter were married.We used to visit his parents and always stayed at the Halcyon Hotel.Of course it may well be gone as many businesses didn't survive the pandemic .

KaneWasc Tue 29-Nov-22 11:44:47

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SuadAnny Tue 29-Nov-22 11:28:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

grove1234 Tue 11-Feb-20 11:07:35

Thank you all for the excellent infomation Unfortunately the trip is postponed ,will do it though .

Sparklefizz Sat 08-Feb-20 16:31:04

The Combe Grove Manor Hotel is lovely, and on a clear day you can see one of the white horses carved into the chalk at Westbury.

Sparklefizz Sat 08-Feb-20 16:29:52

and as many of us know, parking in Bath is problematic, so taxi is the best option from there

There are 3 excellent Park and Rides outside Bath which are well used.

Sparklefizz Sat 08-Feb-20 16:28:29

And The Pump Rooms often have someone playing the piano on the stage there. But be prepared that at peak times there will be a queue out of the door (best to book ahead) ..... and also long queues and huge school groups for the Roman Baths.

JenniferEccles Wed 05-Feb-20 10:48:59

Bath is wonderful!
It is just about possible for us to go for the day, distance wise but we have stayed in hotels there in the past for a longer visit.

There are a couple of nice National Trust properties nearby.

In Bath itself, one thing I would strongly recommend is to treat yourselves to lunch in the Pump Rooms right by the old baths.

It a wonderful experience, very good food and service, and a wonderfully old fashioned atmosphere.

Not the cheapest place to eat of course but well worth it.

PernillaVanilla Tue 04-Feb-20 11:06:00

Bath Priory is the most wonderful hotel if you are minted.
If less minted have dinner there and stay at Henrietta House which is a very up market B&B, lovely furniture and ambience and the best breakfast I have ever had. If it is an economy excursion the new Travel Lodge at Westgate Buildings is fine.

TerriBull Tue 04-Feb-20 11:01:50

I'll second your recommendation Elliane, have also stayed at the Combe Grove Manor, and it is every bit as you describe, particularly the wonderful views, we were there one hot summer and sitting around the outside pool it almost felt like Tuscany. Just a tad too far out of town to walk and as many of us know, parking in Bath is problematic, so taxi is the best option from there.

Ellianne Mon 03-Feb-20 14:30:21

If you like a spa type hotel we stay at The Combe Grove Manor Hotel. The pool is lovely and there are several areas to unwind and relax after a day in Bath. We get a taxi into town, the hotel is 3 miles out on a hill with nice views and gardens to walk round. Make sure you ask for a room in the manor building, the ones in the annexe are not as nice in terms of character and luxury. The food is good too.
Have a lovely time.

BabyLayla Mon 03-Feb-20 13:54:48

Bath is beautiful, we stayed in a hotel opposite the station, I can’t remember the name ( found it on Trip Advisor) it’s very old and was designed by Brunel it creaked beautifuly and the staff and breakfast were all very good. I much prefer older buildings with history but each to their own, we were on a deal which included afternoon tea on arrival. Also there are free city walks available which were really interesting. Again I found out about them via Trip Advisor seem to remember meeting place was outside The Pump House.
The Roman Baths were well worth visiting and we enjoyed thermea spa, it was just before Christmas and to see the skyline from the rooftop pool was a delight. We were an overweight white couple surrounded by Japanese tourists ?

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Feb-20 13:37:13

I went to Bath last year for three days with a small group of other Gransnetters? we had a great time.

I wish I'd known. I live a 15 minute drive from Bath. It's my local go-to place.

grove1234 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:21:41

Thank you all .Lots to plan for will report back .

Suki70 Sat 01-Feb-20 20:58:59

We love Bath and have been going there for many years as DD and family live quite near. In recent years we've stayed at Duke's Hotel and The Francis, both quite expensive but they often have offers. Family members have been to the thermal baths and loved the experience. They also say there are good Air b&bs .

Nannarose Sat 01-Feb-20 11:53:53

I absolutely love the spa, and bathing in the water on the rooftop (including in the rain) is one of my top experiences.
Staying in the City is expensive, so I think you need to decide if it is worthwhile for you.
As I like the thermal pool, but don't want any 'treatments' I wouldn't pay to stay at the Spa Hotel.
We found the Travelodge very good - you do have to pay for parking in addition to the hotel, but it is still much cheaper than almost anywhere else, and easy walking to excellent restaurants for dinner and breakfast.

lemongrove Sat 01-Feb-20 10:05:00

I went to Bath last year for three days with a small group of other Gransnetters? we had a great time.Stayed in a very central hotel near the theatre, and did the bus tour, visited the fashion museum and the assembly rooms ( which has a nice cafe.)We also pottered around all the many lovely shops and did lots of eatings and drinkings?
Never got to the actual ‘baths’ though.It really is a beautiful
city.

Greyduster Sat 01-Feb-20 09:50:25

We went to Bath some years ago on the way back from Cornwall. The Roman Baths are impressive; but you shouldn’t miss the Assembly Rooms; wonderful.

JessK Sat 01-Feb-20 09:45:58

I just loved the spa. If you can use the swimming pool on the roof. The view over Bath is terrific.
If you want treatments make sure you book before you go as it's very popular.
Enjoy...

grove1234 Sat 01-Feb-20 09:42:28

Thank you all. I,m going thru the spa options and checking hotels .