Gransnet forums

Travel

Flying with liquids in luggage

(26 Posts)
ExD1938 Fri 07-Feb-20 10:16:58

I know any liquids you take into the cabin with you have to be in 100ml containers or smaller, and put them in a plastic bag to show them to staff when checking in. BUT
Can you put larger containers into your hold luggage, and if so, do you have to declare them?

Daddima Fri 07-Feb-20 10:29:56

Liquids are fine in hold luggage, and no need to declare them, well I never have!

Buffybee Fri 07-Feb-20 10:33:56

You can put more than 100ml liquid in your checked in hold luggage.
I have done many times and you don’t have to declare them.
In the Guidlines it tells you that to carry more than 100ml liquid on a flight, it must be in a checked in hold bag.

tanith Fri 07-Feb-20 10:36:27

They are both correct.

wildswan16 Fri 07-Feb-20 11:31:36

Always remembering that hold luggage is thrown, squashed, etc etc. A son's very large case full of very expensive whisky saturated clothing (present for father), is still vivid in my memory.

glammanana Fri 07-Feb-20 11:45:25

Any liquid over 100ml such a alcohol is best bought in a plastic bottle and wrapped in a thick towel in centre of suitcase I have never had one broken as yet.

tanith Fri 07-Feb-20 12:07:19

I do always pack things as glammanana suggests or inside a sealable plastic bag.

JackyB Fri 07-Feb-20 12:20:18

I always take wine with me wrapped in a towel and a plastic bag. In fact I wrap all bottles and tubes (shampoo, hand cream etc) each in a separate plastic bag. Also be careful that bottles are not touching the outside of the case as mentioned above.

The only thing you're not allowed to check into the hold are crackers (for Christmas). Nor are you allowed to take them in your hand luggage.

Well, obviously, explosives, firearms etc aren't permitted either.

Heaven knows what we'll be expected to declare once Brexit is through and all the trade deals are settled.

MerylStreep Fri 07-Feb-20 12:29:03

JackyB
Your obviously unaware that Aviation laws are agreed worldwide. Nothing to do with Brexit.

Farmor15 Fri 07-Feb-20 12:31:08

One thing you can't check in hold luggage are rechargable battery packs, eg portable phone chargers. We know about that, but on a recent trip, OH suitcase must have been scanned and he had one of those vaping devices in it (he manages to stop smoking with it). It has a tiny rechargeable battery and that was picked up on scanner. He was hauled out of boarding queue and brought behind the scenes to luggage area and had to identify and remove the "vaper". It seems it was OK to carry in hand luggage.

JackyB Sun 09-Feb-20 11:42:08

Oh sorry. I thought that after Brexit we would have to declare spirits etc., as we were no longer part of the single market.

grannyticktock Sun 09-Feb-20 13:41:00

There will no doubt be more be alcohol restrictions after Brexit, but that isn't - and never has been - anything to do with airline rules. The alcohol limits are to do with customs duty etc, and apply whether you are travelling by plane or ferry. The (international) airline rules are about liquids, not specifically alcohol, and they're (allegedly) to stop you bringing a bomb on board, or creating one during the flight using your tube of toothpaste and some sticky-backed plastic or something.

JackyB Sun 09-Feb-20 14:46:35

I understand that, but ExD1938 also asked about customs declaration.

grannyticktock Sun 09-Feb-20 22:17:22

Sorry, I can't see any mention of customs in the OP. I think she just meant "declare" at airline check-in.

ExD1938 Mon 10-Feb-20 10:47:22

I WAS thinking of baggage check-in, but is 'Customs' check-in the one where your cabin bad goes through a scanner and you walk through a kind of metal arch and someone goes over you with a hand held scanner?
Well that's another hurdle to pass isn't it?
My problem is morphine - the liquid type that comes in a 500m bottle which has to stay in its original package. I have the prescription and GPs letter so thats OK but if my hold bag goes missing I'm in trouble as I need it for my condition.
It will have to go in the hold.
Do I have to mention it to anyone anywhere along the line?
smile I don't want the sniffer dogs after me do I?

Squiffy Mon 10-Feb-20 11:00:25

I’m wondering if there’s a system in place for special clearance for medicines etc? Loads of people must need prescribed meds that come in larger bottles than 100ml.

trisher Mon 10-Feb-20 11:00:40

ExD1938 One solution might be to ask if you can hand the medicine over to airline staff before boarding. They sometimes take excess hand baggage from passengers and it goes in the hold but is with you until you actually board. Maybe you could contact your airline and ask. I can understand you being worried about it going in the hold with all the other luggage. It also depends slightly on which airport you are going through. On a flight to Jersey I had two sealed plastic bags with toiletries/medicines in and they went through, on the return flight Jersey airport made me empty both bags and put things into one.

curvygran950 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:23:48

The best way to check is to go online and see what your airline allows /bans in hand luggage . There are various differences - some airlines will allow knitting needles, others will not , for example . I take a small tapestry on long haul flights - but you can’t take scissors unless they’re a certain size; even then they may be confiscated at security .Nail clippers seem to be allowed .....

Marydoll Mon 10-Feb-20 11:44:54

Espee you have said on another thread that that your GP has offered patches instead. Why don't you try them before you go, you may be surprised. I changed from morphine to patches. No remembering to take pills or checking dose.
I always put my meds in a very, large clear plastic bag and put them on the tray at the scanner. That way it can be seen that I'm not trying to hide anything.

grannyticktock Mon 10-Feb-20 12:08:09

Some countries are a bit jumpy about people bringing in morphine or related products such as codeine, as they are illegal in some places. Worth checking this if you are travelling overseas , regardless of means of transport.

The baggage scans are usually for explosives or dangerous items if you're flying. The drugs searches are done at the same time but I suppose those will be done by customs, e.g. when they run a scanner over your shoulder straps etc, it's traces of drugs they're looking for.

We once had our camper van searched by customs on a ferry. They were searching all the vans, presumably partly to check for illegal immigrants, but they were also looking for drugs. They searched the toilet/washroom of the van and came out with a little bag they found on a high shelf. "What's in here?" they asked me sternly. "No idea, have a look!" I said. They looked and then grinned: "A pair of Marigolds and some clothes pegs!" they announced.

None of that will change after Brexit but there may be extra checks for alcohol and cigarettes as the limits for these are bound to be reduced. No more booze cruises.

wildswan16 Mon 10-Feb-20 13:03:53

ExD1938 you need to contact your airline and ask for their advice. If there is a problem you could ask your pharmacist to dispense the morphine in separate 100ml bottles properly labelled. Then you can keep one with you on the plane, and wrap the others separately in your hold luggage in order to minimise risk. This will allow you to have another 100ml one with you on the way back.

MerylStreep Mon 10-Feb-20 13:31:05

Grannyticktock
We have been 'checked' several times. I once ask them ( after they said all ok) if they were going to check the boot, under the banquette, and, the car we were towing.
no more booze cruises
In the case of a no deal they are going to be resurrected ( info from the financial times)

bingo12 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:45:39

I don 't think you can go to UAE with those sort of drugs in luggage.

jeanie99 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:18:53

If taking glass bottles wrap up in bubble wrap or something to cushion the contents. Luggage is thrown around.
Regarding what you can and cannot take in hand luggage always check out the airline, they are not all the same with their regulations.
Regarding medication, controlled drugs
Have a letter from your GP and a prescription if you are not taking with you all you need for the trip
and keep your medication in your hand luggage.

Farmor15 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:47:30

I'd second what wildswan said about contacting airline and asking pharmacist to dispense in 100 ml bottles. You can bring more than one 100 ml bottle in hand luggage, in sealed bag, but bottles must have volume printed on them. A half used bottle of shampoo will be confiscated, even if it obviously has less than 100 ml left.

In theory, medications or baby food more than 100 ml can be carried in hand luggage, but a lot depends on staff on security screen on the day. I've seen a few cases recently of people having stuff confiscated - coming back from France, expensive paté was taken off a couple of girls, even though it's not really liquid. You may get though in one airport sometimes, only to get something picked up by scanner/staff at another.

OH, who has both knees replaced gets thoroughly searched every time, as of course he beeps though metal detector.