Gransnet forums

Travel

Worried about travelling

(24 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 21-Mar-20 09:16:36

I am due to go to India later this year in the Autumn.
Feeling jittery about it already in light of all that is going on at the moment and the fact that we have not got direct flights this time so it would mean 4 airport visits this time.
Actually wondering about cancelling and loosing deposit and forgoing the holiday as the final payment in the summer is rather too large to loose. What would you do??

Eglantine21 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:21:54

I’m a fellow traveller but I’m reconciled to being a home bird for the next six months at least, and in my heart of hearts I pretty sure it’ll be a year or more.

I cancelled my planned trip three weeks ago and am I glad! I would be one of those stuck abroad right now?

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 09:48:27

travel would the company allow you to postpone?

Fiachna50 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:52:21

Contact the travel company and see if you could rearrange for next year? I don't know if that will be possible, but you could ask?

MamaCaz Sat 21-Mar-20 09:59:30

I certainly wouldn't pay them any more money - I would have thought that quite a high number of travel companies could go out of business in the near future ... sad

MiniMoon Sat 21-Mar-20 10:01:57

We are still saving hard for our visit to the USA in December. The thing is, we have to pay the balance in August, and, with the current health crisis growing here and in America, I'm wondering what to do. It's a lit of money to lose if we have to cancel.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 10:13:07

I haven’t got anything booked for later in the year ( just cancelled my late May holiday) but if I had I’d first of all ask if it could be postponed to next year. There’s enough to worry about at the moment without the myriad permutations and possibilities of what might happen in the next few months. It’s all guesswork isn’t it? It depends what would make people feel better. I think my underlying reason is that there may be the second wave - no one can rule that out at the moment

Luckygirl Sat 21-Mar-20 10:28:15

If you are worried about travelling - which indeed you should be - then do not go.

Daisymae Sat 21-Mar-20 11:02:19

Can't think for a minute that your holiday will go ahead in the current climate

yggdrasil Sat 21-Mar-20 11:55:16

I have a holiday booked for late September. I don't have to pay the cost till June so I am waiting till the last minute to see what is happening then

Davidhs Sat 21-Mar-20 12:54:52

I’m in the same boat, deposit paid, balance in September, will wait and see what happens, far too early to decide anything it could be all over, we could be in lockdown.

notanan2 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:02:39

Can you exchange your deposit for a voucher to use next year?

notanan2 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:03:35

It'll be a year at least of this on and off

wildswan16 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:20:22

Just cancel - months and months of worrying about it won't do you any good at all. Losing your deposit is worth it.

Obviously speak to your agent first and see if they can offer you a rebate or alternative, but I wouldn't be planning to go anywhere for the next year unless in an emergency.

travelsafar Thu 02-Apr-20 12:16:55

I contacted my travel agent on Monday and asked about cancelling, they were so helpful. I ended up cancelling our trip as my sister, sister in law and I are to concerned about there being another outbreak later in the year. Had an email this morning confirming cancellation and all we lost was our deposit which we were happy to do so.

notanan2 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:38:03

Sounds like you did the right thing.

The bigger asiam countries will have many "waves" that arent really new waves, but first waves in regions that werent hit hard previously due to the vastness of the countries.

India and china etc will go through this many times over as previously "safer" regions get hit ?

notanan2 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:38:23

"Asian"

timetogo2016 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:45:02

I`m stopping in this country for the forseable future.
Ironicaly i was about to get my first passport as DH is desperate to go abroad which i was not looking forward to so i see a silver lining at the moment.
Just praying for us all.

Sussexborn Thu 02-Apr-20 12:45:40

I would be wary of travelling for the foreseeable future. Worse case scenario is being stuck in another country then expecting that “they” should put others lives at stake rescuing them.

rubysong Thu 02-Apr-20 13:09:00

So glad we hadn't yet booked flights to visit DS1 and family in USA this summer.
When all this is over I hope people will support the British tourist industry. They will need support desperately and there are some wonderful places to visit without going abroad.

Katek Thu 02-Apr-20 14:17:37

We had a cruise booked for June but cancelled mid March when it was suggested that our age group perhaps shouldn’t be going on them. Managed to cancel before final payment was due so have only lost deposit. Currently trying to have that reimbursed by insurance. We’re definitely not booking anything for later - if we are able to move about more freely by summer I fully intend booking something in the UK to support leisure sector small business owners. Right at this moment I’d be happy to travel to my daughter 8 miles away!

Tweedle24 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:22:09

ATOL and ABTA membership ensures refund if travel still not advised by the foreign office

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 14:45:48

I wouldn't be going far for at least 12 months given the choice.
I'd honestly say 18 months hence would be the safest bet as pandemics have a habit of " doing roundabout turns ". They don't disappear like 'flu does.

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 02:47:18

We have a cruise booked for boarding 4th July.
One option was to cancel and loose £1050 or pay balance and if they cancel get a full refund.
The other option with our cruise line is they are giving vouchers if you want them at 125% to book against a cruise up to 2022.
For us this means we can book the same cruise for next year or the year after and they will give us another 25% to use on the cruise.
We will wait to see what happens, I suspect the cruise will be cancelled because the WHO are saying not to cruise and we are in our 70s.
It's a waiting game at the moment.