Gransnet forums

Travel

Travelling alone

(7 Posts)
Espes Mon 11-May-20 22:29:39

When all this is over obviously! My oh is not an enthusiastic traveller and I'm thinking about looking into organised holidays suitable for a woman alone. I'd be ok if the group were friendly but my nightmare would be feeling left out of a chatty, cliquey group as I can come across as a little reserved. Any ideas ?

MawB Mon 11-May-20 22:47:07

I went on a Rail holiday to Germany last September. I had the same fear of couples , geeks or cliques but after the first dinner where I just took a deep breath, pinned a smile on my face and plunged in, all was well. I was regularly invited to join other couples (or invited myself!) at dinner, over coffee and on trips and as it was unlike a coach holiday, we were not all sitting with the same people every day. Just once I decided to keep to my room after a trip as I was tired and I instantly regretted it - you have got to be friendly and just a bit more outgoing but it is worth it.
Take the plunge!

Espes Mon 11-May-20 22:55:07

Thanks mawb! I was looking at rail holidays earlier in the year. There are some that look great to places like Spain and Italy. Did you enjoy the rail travel aspect?Maybe I'll start saving...and pluck up my courage.

MawB Mon 11-May-20 23:05:55

Loved it.
I treated myself to an upgrade to First class on Eurostar and in Germany and was at first afraid I might be isolating myself from the majority of the group, but about 1/3 had done the same and in a way it helped because there was then more chance of a familiar face when we were all together. Plus you can get single seats in First which is a bit of a luxury (and the free refreshments!)

grannyticktock Sun 24-May-20 22:31:47

You might want to consider a holiday for single or solo travellers. I have travelled with One Traveller, Just You, Saga Solos, and Riviera Solos. Although most of the travellers are widowed or single, there are usually a few who have a partner at home who is unable or unwilling to travel. There is always a predominance of women, so you'd have plenty of potential female companions, and because everyone is on their own, they're all likely to be keen to make new friends. You don't have to share a room, you get a double room to yourself - the prices tend to reflect this, but the headline price is all you pay, there's no singles supplement.

Laughterlines Sun 24-May-20 22:38:48

You might want to join THELMA and Louise an online travel and friendship group for women of all ages

Espes Mon 25-May-20 22:41:09

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to look them all up.online. I'd better start saving!