Gransnet forums

Travel

Staycation ideas

(69 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 22-Aug-20 09:49:25

I've got a week off coming up in September and DH & I would like to have a week away somewhere, but can't decide where to go. We would like a hotel on a seafront somewhere but there's so many to choose from. We had a week in Tenby in July and that was lovely, but would like somewhere not in Wales for this holiday. Would love some suggestions please.

craftyone Wed 26-Aug-20 21:47:06

jucylucy, shouting distance from me. Somerset is lovely and far less busy than devon and cornwall and the people are very friendly and chatty

TwiceAsNice Mon 24-Aug-20 09:30:09

Cornwall is lovely and I travelled there often from Wales. I like Falmouth , lovely little town and harbour , nice shops, places to eat etc and lovely boat trips. I could recommend a fantastic hotel with parking and wonderful food is you fancy that and pm me

Bk Mon 24-Aug-20 09:11:26

Have you been to Croma, Norfolk?
It’s a beautiful seaside town

Jaxjacky Mon 24-Aug-20 08:30:25

I booked last week for a weekend, mid September, a small b&b in Poole. It’s only a couple of hours away, but near the sea and a break, particularly for my husband who’s been working hard. Scouted a couple of restaurants with outdoor seating, ? the weather is ok!

NotAGran55 Mon 24-Aug-20 07:49:24

Have a great time Grannyrebel7

grannyrebel7 Mon 24-Aug-20 07:48:43

We looked on Booking.com and there were loads of options for hotels or B&Bs. Reasonably priced too. Maybe self catering accommodation is harder to find though.

Lizbethann55 Sun 23-Aug-20 23:26:27

To be honest, if you haven't already booked anywhere, it will be more a case of where you can find anywhere with vacancies, rather than choosing where you want to go. My DD and SiL are in Woolacombe this week. They booked as soon as travelling restrictions were lifted and are in a tiny, not particularly nice, apartment . It was all they could get.

Edithb Sun 23-Aug-20 23:00:17

Lyme Regis is lovely. We stayed in a self catering place which had views of the Cobb.

merlotgran Sun 23-Aug-20 22:51:30

Thanks, HAZBEEN We have family in East and West Sussex and Hampshire as well as friends who are looking to buy a house in Havant so we thought we'd to a bit of a south coast road trip and try and see everyone.

Legs55 Sun 23-Aug-20 22:31:04

I live in Devon (small Town on the edge of Dartmoor), I haven't been anywhere apart from early morning shopping as we're overrun with Tourists.

I would normally have being planning a trip up to Yorkshire to see my DM but she's currently in Hospital (no visiting).

Devon & Cornwall are lovely as are Somerset & Dorset.

Wibblywobbly Sun 23-Aug-20 19:16:41

We’re going to a cottage in north Devon next week and, joy of joys, our DD, SIL and 5 month old granddaughter are joining us. We’ve all been self-isolating for the last 2 weeks and it’ll be the first time we’ve been under the same roof with DGD since she was born - cannot wait.

biba70 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:49:19

Which region would you be travelling from (vague region, not exact location). I love the North Norfolk coast in September.
Or Devon.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 23-Aug-20 18:48:57

Staycation - staying at home, but going somewhere different each day!
We went to Sidmouth a week or so ago and had a great time.

Ellianne Sun 23-Aug-20 18:46:29

Babbacombe is nice grannyrebel. Hope you have a nice time. The model village is fun and all outdoors. Steer clear of Torquay, there are nicer smaller places for a visit. Or just sit and look at the sea!

Katyj Sun 23-Aug-20 18:45:01

grannyrebel glad your sorted, your holiday sounds great, we love Babbacombe, im looking in that area at the moment. Have a lovely time.

Harris27 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:43:52

It’s depends on where you live we live in the north east if England and love to go to the lakes. But also love Devon it’s beautiful and such lovely memories from when our kids were little. Never get sick of Devon.

HAZBEEN Sun 23-Aug-20 18:41:09

Hayling Island its self is ok but dont expect sandy beaches and pretty little coastal areas! There isnt really much if you have children with you and to be honest driving along the iland you could have been in any town but we were not really bothered. We more or less stayed in the complex apart from one trip out to see the coast area and find a shop for something we forgot!
It was the first time we had been to a Warners and we were happy with it. We had a chalet rather than the usual country house hotel room.

merlotgran Sun 23-Aug-20 18:32:04

I'm not a fan of Warner Leisure BTW.

merlotgran Sun 23-Aug-20 18:31:21

What is Hayling Island like, HAZBEEN?

We've been tinkering with the idea of a short stay there as it's half way between my brother's house and some friends we want to catch up with.

grannyrebel7 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:30:50

All sorted - booked a hotel in Babbacombe. Looks lovely, good reviews, near the beach, full English breakfast. That's all we wanted. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Ju3260 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:07:46

Whitby

Cabbie21 Sun 23-Aug-20 17:35:55

I have been looking for self catering properties in late September or October, but they are hard to find, as I predicted. I thought I had found somewhere ideal, in the country, not in a touristy area but within easy drive of the coast, but now DH has said it is too soon. I don’t know what will make him feel it is safe. I understand his caution, as he has health conditions which make him very vulnerable. He has not been out anywhere yet except to get petrol, as he goes for drives for a change of scene but does not get out of the car.
I would not have any worries about the property as the owners’ website shows they are Covid safe.

HAZBEEN Sun 23-Aug-20 16:42:51

We went on a 3 night Warners break to Hayling Island last week. Everything in place, restaurant tables well placed, any activities you had to book a time but with so much going on that wasnt a problem. The best part was no kids!! Utter peace!

NannaGrandad Sun 23-Aug-20 16:35:59

We spent a weekend at the Best Western in Bognor Regis recently. It’s actually in Felpham and you can avoid Bognor if that’s not your thing. Sea view room and hotel is literally on the seafront, nothing between it and the beach.
Shingle/pebble beach and we had whole swathes to ourselves when we wanted it.
Great social distancing in the hotel itself, the nearby Lobster Pot eatery and the Fox Inn.
A short drive to many lovely places nearby. I’d recommend it ?

nanny2eight Sun 23-Aug-20 15:44:17

Just back from a three night stay in West Bay, visited Lyme Regis too - both places were very busy with no social distancing whatsoever. We spent all our time zigzagging out of peoples’ way, really frustrating. Hopefully it will be better in September!