Gransnet forums

Travel

Holiday Cottages - recommendations

(10 Posts)
BigBertha1 Mon 01-Feb-21 15:12:42

I have spent hours and hours lately trying to find a cottage or similar for a week in September. We do like a self catering break but have got really fed up with the standard of some of the places we have stayed and its hard to tell what you are getting from photos on line. The last one we had was beautiful on the website, listed everything we wanted, described its Covid precautions and when we got there it did have a truly fabulous view of Ingleborough but the bedrooms were damp, the rug in the living room was encrusted with dog hair and the kitchen cupboards were musty and damp and the heating very poor. Paying a lot doesn't seem to help, so many of the premises have old and worn out furniture and electrical goods and you wonder why you ever left the comfort of home. I am asking if anyone knows of a Holiday Cottage company that has a better standard than this. We are open to area. Thank you

grandmajet Mon 01-Feb-21 16:08:29

Where are you hoping to go? Mendham Mill on the Norfolk/Suffolk border is simply beautiful.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Feb-21 16:10:02

Who did you go with for such a poor standard?

Greyduster Mon 01-Feb-21 16:26:03

We used this company for many years for holiday cottages in Pembrokeshire, and in mid Wales. www.qualitycottages.co.uk/.
Properties were always clean, well equipped and comfortable. Never disappointed.

Brook721 Mon 01-Feb-21 16:28:36

Helpful Holidays are excellent. We’ve had many holidays with them over the last 15 years and all the cottages have been great.

Judy54 Mon 01-Feb-21 16:30:56

We normally use a company called Rural retreats perhaps not the cheapest but we have never had a bad property with them. They have holiday cottages throughout the Country so you should find something to suit your needs.

Ngaio1 Mon 01-Feb-21 16:31:22

Several times my daughter and I have stayed at "Seamew", Cawsand, Cornwall. Do not have the owner's name etc. to hand. Dear little cottage Very close to the sea and in a not so touristy part of Cornwall.

keepingquiet Mon 01-Feb-21 17:05:08

Ngaio1

Several times my daughter and I have stayed at "Seamew", Cawsand, Cornwall. Do not have the owner's name etc. to hand. Dear little cottage Very close to the sea and in a not so touristy part of Cornwall.

I love Cawsand.

My advice BigBerthal is to do lots of research on ratings websites like Tripadvisor et al. Always worked for me. Bear in mind prices are up due to Covid and places may have been left unoccupied for a long time.
Also just search for places not on holiday listings-my daughter found a lovely place by just doing her own search. Better value for money too.

AGAA4 Mon 01-Feb-21 17:15:49

Another vote for Rural Retreats. You pay a bit more but the properties are well kept with nice touches that I haven't found at other places.

Lisagran Mon 01-Feb-21 17:26:04

We’ve stayed in various cottages in Pembrokeshire through Coastal Cottages and been very satisfied - www.coastalcottages.co.uk/