Gransnet forums

Travel

Winter break in the sun

(8 Posts)
Shawlands2000 Wed 31-Mar-21 17:55:41

Before COVID descended, we enjoyed three weeks in Spain in February/March to break up the British winter. We have stayed in Benalmadema and Nerja in the past and are now tentatively considering where we might go in 2022. Looking for suggestions in Spain or maybe Portugal. Not Costa Calida as we go there to visit family. We don’t hire a car, so somewhere with reasonable airport transfers would be good. We stay in holiday rentals rather than hotels. During the day, we enjoy walking and visiting restaurants and pubs in the evening. Don’t want anywhere too quiet and would imagine at that time of year most places wouldn’t be too busy for us. It would be great to have some winter sun again!

EllanVannin Wed 31-Mar-21 18:46:17

My friend and I once stayed at Costa Almeria at the beginning of March and it was pleasantly warm while before we left Manchester ice was being scraped off the wings of the plane.
Cafe's were open and it's convenient if you like exploring areas with Granada not far away by train.
It wasn't that busy at the time.

MerylStreep Wed 31-Mar-21 18:57:29

I’ve stayed in all places mentioned past 10 years. I think over all Estepona ticks all the boxes.
I would never do Portugal again. At that time of year they get some awful cold winds coming in over the Atlantic.

avitorl Wed 31-Mar-21 19:04:39

Is Tenerife a place you might consider? I've spent a few winter holidays there and the self catering accommodation I've used has been of a good standard.

Sundaze Wed 31-Mar-21 19:48:20

Shawlands2000, do you prefer coast or city breaks, tourist areas or living like a local?
Are you happy with local cuisine or prefer food you're more familiar with?

MissChateline Wed 31-Mar-21 19:53:09

We have an apartment on the island of la Palma in the Canary Islands and usually spend most of the winter months there. It’s a Small island and out of the main tourist spots. Fantastic hiking in the volcanic area, lovely walks along the coast. Great restaurants and wine and definitely not touristy with brits. Lots of great things to do. Totally recommend.

NotAGran55 Wed 31-Mar-21 20:42:31

Cadiz or Seville maybe ? Or even both as a twin centre break .

Shawlands2000 Thu 01-Apr-21 21:33:01

Thank you so much for your comments. Will certainly have a good look at your recommendations.