Gransnet forums

Travel

Surprise UK locations to visit

(7 Posts)
Nanananana1 Mon 17-May-21 14:11:46

They say that the best holidays start with the planning but have you ever found yourself in the most unlikely place and had a wonderful time?

We had to make a trip to visit a sick relative in Wolverhampton and tried to call in each day for an hour or so. The rest of the time we 'explored the area' not knowing what on earth we would find to do

What a great surprise, there are so many things to see- Moseley Old Hall, Wightwick Manor, the Art Gallery, some beautiful countryside and nature reserves. It turned out to be quite the 'holiday'

We are wanting to explore more of the UK from now on so let me know if you have you visited an unlikely destination and been pleasantly surprised

Aveline Mon 17-May-21 15:15:41

What a good idea for a thread. I don't think I can suggest anywhere particularly unexpected though but I'm agog for suggestions.

theworriedwell Mon 17-May-21 15:23:12

I had to do exams for a professional qualification at Wolverhampton Poly as it was then. It was freezing cold although it was June, I got soaked when I got off the train. They were holding the exam in a basement room that was freezing cold and banging doors resonated round the room constantly. The invigilator was a retired member of staff and everyone who was passing the room called in for a chat.

It was the most horrific experience and i was so fed up that about 30 minutes into the exam I stood up and ripped up my answer paper. There was a stunned silence, the visitor left, the invigilator brought me more paper and silence reigned for the rest of the exam, 2 hrs I think. I was still wet and cold but at least I could hear myself think.

I don't think I could ever face Wolverhampton again. Forty years on I'm still traumatised.

Glad you enjoyed it but I'll have to give it a miss.

theworriedwell Mon 17-May-21 15:24:05

I did pass the exam so I suppose it wasn't all bad.

NotSpaghetti Mon 17-May-21 15:26:47

Yes, Moseley Old Hall is lovely. Lichfield is a nice old city and very small so nice to stroll about. The cathedral is stunning.

Worsley in Greater Manchester
Alderley Edge (though a bit gentrified now).
The woodlands just north of The Beacon near Loughborough.
Penkridge
The Framework Knitting Museum near Bunny...

JackyB Tue 18-May-21 09:36:31

We had time to kill between flights at Stansted Airport once and went along to look at Mountfitchet Castle. It is a lovely place for kids - we only had DS2 with us, though, aged 34 - and it was a beautifully warm day. I was horrified at all the spelling mistakes on the explanatory signboards.

midgey Tue 18-May-21 10:11:14

Stoke on Trent! Amazing history and stunning scenery. Easy to get to from so many places.