Gransnet forums

Travel

Art Holidays in UK

(4 Posts)
Ellianne Mon 21-Jun-21 19:27:05

muse is spot on with everything she mentions.
I know very little about Art, but we ran Art holidays at our place in France. By we, I mean it took 4 of us - the Art teacher, the cook, the housekeeper and someone to drive the group out and about.
From breakfast through to dinner, with tea and coffee breaks and bedtime drinks, bedrooms and bathrooms to clean daily, meals to shop for and to prepare, without help you would have no time to tutor the students. The duration of our courses was 6 days.
If you have to organise accommodation for students with different needs that could also be tricky, so lots of research is necessary.
Good luck. The beaches are always popular spots.

muse Mon 21-Jun-21 18:53:29

I've done craft (stone carving and fused glass) weekends and full week holidays but you don't say if you will be providing the accommodation and food.

Clear and thorough Terms and Conditions are essential.

I've had to find my own accommodation and buy lunch from somewhere. One place had a cafe on site. A couple of companies gave me a list of accommodation, If you are working outside cover is needed or a back up (work inside).

What will happen in the evenings? Never been on one where this has been considered.

I've never been in a group of more than 6 with one tutor. For me, skills tuition should be part of the course.

All materials were provided and all did tea/coffee/biscuits (included in the cost). Tutors all had qualifications in the craft.

Facilities for disabled / wheel chair users? What if someone has a carer?

Have a look at this website. It might be useful. Good luck
www.newlynartschool.co.uk/

BBbevan Mon 21-Jun-21 17:57:59

Have you got the requisite diplomas, etc to let you teach.?Having been an art teacher I would never go to anything if the organiser was not qualified

kimberleybevan Mon 21-Jun-21 17:09:39

Hi Everyone, I've just moved to Norfolk (new to the area) and I am looking at setting up some art holidays along with normal teaching but I don't really know where to start? I wanted to ask you as I need some advice; has anyone been on an art holiday before? How did it go? What worked and what went wrong? How many days and what types of themes/subject would interest you?? For example there are lots of seals here - I thought a drawing day on the beach would be fantastic, then pop to the local café which is all WW2 themed (fun and quirky). Any feedback or advice would be amazing - thank you.