Gransnet forums

Travel

Desperate for a holiday

(221 Posts)
Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 13:58:48

Since the kids have grown up, myself & Hubby always gone abroad 3 times a year, Spain, Italy and France! Anyway we’re seriously considering booking a week in Spain, we’re both double jabbed! If it turned red while out there we can’t quarantine due to running our own business! We did book Majorca with TUI, as it was green, then moved to amber! I think we need to get back to some normality, otherwise there’s going to be NO travel industry left. Going to make a decision after the next review, which us next week. We live in Wales, (but airport in England) so it’s very confusing with all the different rules for travel.
Anyone going away?..

NfkDumpling Sun 08-Aug-21 17:30:24

Oh, what the Hell, if everyone else is flying abroad and hang the consequences, my staying at home isn't going to make much difference. (Except that I'm not sure I can be bothered with all that airport hassle and sitting in a plane for hours!)

Grammaretto Sun 08-Aug-21 18:27:27

hear hear NfkD

I find it hard to fathom why after at least 20 years of watching the ice caps melt and the planet hotting up we are still hanging onto our boring old habits. Not me obviously grin

Trains and boats yes but planes no. Cruises well. Wasn't it a cruise ship where the coronovirus got going? Have we forgotten the fate of the Diamond Princess so quickly?

Callistemon Sun 08-Aug-21 18:44:13

But I haven't seen the Pyramids yet
Nor Machu Picchu

Lots of people I know under the age of 30 have been, it's just not fair.
I promise to plant a tree.

maddyone Mon 09-Aug-21 10:18:45

Wasn’t it a cruise ship where the coronavirus got going?

Errr, no, it wasn’t. Coronavirus first appeared in Wuhan, China!

maddyone Mon 09-Aug-21 10:22:25

Thank you Gill I’m pretty well fully recovered now, but I was extremely ill in January. It takes a good three months to get back to normal, and it’s my opinion that’s it’s left me with some muscle weakness that I didn’t have before, and I think I get more tired than I did before. But that might be because with Covid you have to rest so much that you lose your previous level of fitness. Hopefully over time even these will improve.

Grammaretto Mon 09-Aug-21 11:08:22

Callistemon grin
I have never been to Cardiff.

Maddyone Facts: The WHO as informed in Dec 2019 of a cluster of cases of covid19 in Wuhan.
In early February, The cruise ship, the Diamond Princess, berthed in Hong Kong, reported an outbreak on board & seven passengers subsequently died. By June 2020, 40 cruise ships had been affected and returning passengers introduced the virus to their own countries.

I am sorry you have been ill with covid.

maddyone Mon 09-Aug-21 13:43:48

Grammaretto thank you for your kind good wishes re Covid. As I said I’m pretty well recovered now, but I wouldn’t wish this nasty virus on anyone.

Re the Diamond Princess, it was quarantined in Tokyo on 5th February 2019 at the request of the Japanese government because there were cases of Covid onboard. Eventually there were 712 cases confirmed on the ship, but there may have been others that were asymptotic. Maybe the home berth of the ship was Hong Kong, I don’t know, but it was quarantined in Japan.
Meanwhile the Chinese government eventually and belatedly revealed to the rest of the world that there was an ongoing epidemic of a novel virus in a city in China. This announcement was at the end of January, I think 31st January. They had already put the city into a strict lockdown before this announcement. They put the cause of this virus down to it jumping from live animals to humans in the wet market in Wuhan. Coincidentally there are two enormous laboratories in Wuhan where experiments have been conducted on corona viruses, but the Chinese government have dismissed any queries about a leak from one of the laboratories. Nonetheless the virus first emerged in China in Wuhan. It is now thought that the virus was freely circulating in Wuhan, and around the world, carried out on planes leaving from the airport at Wuhan, for some considerable time before January 2019. There were cases of a ‘novel pneumonia’ reported in Wuhan as early as November 2018.

Callistemon Mon 09-Aug-21 14:20:22

It is now thought that the virus was freely circulating in Wuhan, and around the world, carried out on planes leaving from the airport at Wuhan, for some considerable time before January 2019. There were cases of a ‘novel pneumonia’ reported in Wuhan as early as November 2018.

maddyone

Many people are convinced that Covid was circulating outside China well before it was announced to the world.

Lung tissue taken from a patient in the UK who died in early January 2020 was found to contain Covid.

maddyone Mon 09-Aug-21 18:54:10

Hi Callistemon
As I said, many people believe that the virus was freely circulating in Wuhan well before the Chinese government’s announcement to the world in January. You are agreeing with me, because I also said the virus was probably carried out on planes as Wuhan has an international airport and was therefore probably circulating elsewhere too. However, Grammaretto said, and this is crucial,

Wasnt it a cruise ship where the coronavirus got going?

Well no, it wasn’t, because coronavirus first appeared in Wuhan. That is where it first got going. I thought everyone knew that. The Chinese government claims to this day that Covid19 first appeared in the Wuhan wet market, so even they are not claiming Covid first ‘got going’ on a cruise ship.

It is my opinion, and not a confirmed fact, that coronavirus was probably carried out of one of the laboratories in Wuhan, by accident of course, but far more likely in my opinion, than it arising in a wet market.

GillT57 Mon 09-Aug-21 18:59:17

No, it wasn't a cruise ship where covid19 'first got going'. The cruise ship incidents were just high profile reports of concentrated numbers of cases. I don't know why you are so obsessed with blaming cruises Gramaretto, it certainly didn't originate in them, and the passengers can hardly be held responsible for falling ill with what many were still dismissing as an unimportant virus at that time.

Callistemon Mon 09-Aug-21 21:12:39

Wasnt it a cruise ship where the coronavirus got going?

No it wasn't.
The first reports from the cruise ship were at the beginning of February 2020

A new virus causing pneumonia was first notified on 31st December 2019 by the Chinese authorities.
It was later confirmed as a novel coronavirus.

12 January 2020
China publicly shared the genetic sequence of COVID-19.

It was called COVID-19 because it emerged in 2019.

NfkDumpling Mon 09-Aug-21 21:32:04

There was a thread on GN reporting a terrible long lasting cough which most people reported getting before and around Christmas 2019 and my DS and DiL had it too just before Christmas. DGS was fine. Covid could well have been here and thriving well before we knew.

maddyone Tue 10-Aug-21 10:29:38

Yes, you’re right NfkDumpling, there are a lot of anecdotal accounts of similar illnesses arising before the Chinese government told the rest of the world about Covid19. We’ll never know how many actually were Covid because no one was testing at that point. In all likelihood some of them were actually Covid.

Annie1962 Mon 16-Aug-21 12:45:31

We’ll everyone! My post certainly stirred up some conversations! A few agreed with me and a few disagreed with me, but that’s life! Some ppl didn’t understand the word ‘desperate’! Anyway we did go to Majorca, and we had a whole 7 days chilling on the beautiful beach, was actually perfect! Lovely hotel, half board, restaurant was outside overlooking the blue Mediterranean Sea! We wore a mask while inside etc!
Please, if your thinking of going…go, it’s definitely worth it. Form filling is a pain, but once you understand it, it’s easy to do!
Anyone needs any help please let me know!
All covid tests negative ?

GillT57 Mon 16-Aug-21 13:40:26

That looks lovely Annie62, I hope your holiday hit the spot so to speak. Was the test business a performance?

Annie1962 Mon 16-Aug-21 13:56:14

GillT57

That looks lovely Annie62, I hope your holiday hit the spot so to speak. Was the test business a performance?

Definitely, enjoyed it
We didn’t have to test to go, as we fully jabbed, we took 2 antigen lateral tests with us, did these tests 2 days before coming home, just showed the results in the airport while checking in. Yesterday we did our pcr tests at home, you have to order these before you go on holiday as you need the reference number to enter on your UK locator form..that’s very important ? i posted these off yesterday , so should have results Thursday!

SuzieHi Mon 16-Aug-21 14:25:17

Wonder what the chances of catching Covid abroad are compared to the UK? We’re going to Lanzarote soon- only 177 active cases there at present. At home, our area cases are up by 21% last week- active cases here are still in the 1000’s.

Annie1962 Mon 16-Aug-21 14:36:54

I suppose you can catch it anywhere, like many other viruses! Risks are lower if you wash your hands etc, Ive always thought (before covid) trolleys in the supermarket are the worst!
Anyway life’s a risk what ever you do, just got to weigh it up! In England no face masks, I live in Wales, Spain inside they wear them ?
All the old, vulnerable have been vaccinated so basically we have to get in with it, IMO
Just go, enjoy yourself in the sun, in the beach, chilling with a nice book ?

maddyone Mon 16-Aug-21 18:53:05

Your experience sounds very positive Annie and I hope ours will be too when we visit Zakinthos at the end of September.

Annie1962 Tue 17-Aug-21 20:25:46

maddyone

Your experience sounds very positive Annie and I hope ours will be too when we visit Zakinthos at the end of September.

Yes, it was lovely, definitely do it again! We booked the covid testing via TUI, £20 each, just had results from day 2 test, happy to say was negative.
Have a lovely holiday ?