Gransnet forums

Travel

Aviemore

(15 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:14:35

We have been invited to spend a few days in the Aviemore area mid September.

We will be traveling from Gretna Green and would like to spend a night or two on our way up.
Again a day or two on our journey back to Gretna.

Would be grateful for any info or recommendations from GNers, re stop overs and areas to visit.

I know the Stirling area, Trossachs and Loch Lomand quite well. So we probably head further up to explore new (to us) areas.
We are members of The National Trust for Scotland members.

Grammaretto Sun 01-Aug-21 19:35:02

Perthshire is beautiful. Crieff, Dunkeld, Aberfeldy.
However check that NTS places are open before you get disappointed.
www.nts.org.uk/visit/places
I love Scone Palace nr Perth
scone-palace.co.uk/

The tourist board, called visitscotland for accommodation or try airbnb.
www.visitscotland.com/accommodation/

Marydoll Sun 01-Aug-21 19:42:27

Pitlochry is a favourite of ours.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:52:59

Stirling area maybe? The castle in Stirling is fantastic, as good as Edinburgh in my opinion, and you can also visit the Wallace Monument.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areastir/index.html

The Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies are must-see if you like that kind of thing!

If you're feeling flush you can stay over in Gleneagles or Andy Murray's Hotel, the Cromlix in Dunblane.

Good idea to check in advance!

Cherrytree59 Sun 01-Aug-21 21:21:06

Thank you all!
Stirling castle is a firm favourite with both of us already Alegrias but I think we could be due another visit.

I have added The Falkirk wheel and the Kelpies to our list.
Thank you also for the link.

Grammaretto Perthshire especially Crieff (family link) has been added to our list.
Scone Palace has been on my bucket list for quite some time, so maybe this is the year.
Thank you also for the link and advice.
We were very lucky in May of this year, in being ableto visit several NTS around Ayrshire.

Marydoll Pitlochry was mentioned by a friend, she also said it was one of her favourite places.
So another one added to the list.

I know it easy to use 'google', but I have found that posting on GN travel has served my well over the last few years.

Marydoll Sun 01-Aug-21 22:59:34

I had a break in Pitlochry last month, along with DH, DD and SIL. We booked a whisky tour at the Blair Athol distillery in Pitlochry itself, we were the only people on the tour, due to Covid restrictions. Last year there were no tours, when we were there. The tour included whisky tastings and a discount on whisky from the shop, so DH and SIL did really well, as DD and I don't drink whisky. They got mine and DD's as a cairy oot.
Of course, you cannot go to Perthshire and not visit The House of Bruar!!!

Kim19 Sun 01-Aug-21 23:08:45

How about along the banks of Loch Tay and lovely places like St Fillans, for instance? Think that could tie in nicely with your crossing from West to East. Another wee stop I'd recommend is called Bruar on the A9. Beautiful cascading waterfalls.

B9exchange Sun 01-Aug-21 23:08:45

The Allan Park Hotel in Stirling was so welcoming, locals pop in for their wonderful breakfasts. We were upgraded, without asking, to a room with a view of the castle.

BigBertha1 Mon 02-Aug-21 06:58:22

Love the House of Bruar and Blair Castle. This is all making me want to plan another trip but is Scotland open to visitors?

Kim19 Mon 02-Aug-21 07:04:45

BB, my family live there and it's awash with visitors. Join the party!

Grandmabatty Mon 02-Aug-21 07:38:40

The kelpies are situated in the helix park which has wild fowl, a small lake and a decent shop. You can park at the football stadium which is free as sometimes the official car park is very busy. Another recommendation for the Allan Park for food, although there are other nice cafés and restaurants in Stirling. I often go there with my son who lives in Stirling. The café in King's Park is very nice too. I would also agree about Pitlochry. It's a lovely place. The theatre is worth a visit. Have a great time.

Largolass Mon 02-Aug-21 09:08:12

House of Bruar is a must! Known as the Harrods of the North.

Cherrytree59 Wed 22-Sep-21 20:30:17

Well thank you one and all.
A fabulous holiday .
Weather very kind
Stayed just outside Aviemore.
Had some very enjoyable walks around the lochs including Loch Inch.

Stunning views from the top of the Cairngorms.
Visited the Highland wildlife centre.
Enjoyed a morning steam train ride on the Speyside Railway.

Walked Bruar waterfalls and big shout out everyone....
Visited the house of Bruar!

Visited a very busy Pitlochry and walked over the bridge to take in the views from the dam.

We had booked a guided tour of Scone Palace on the way up.
Agree it a very special place.

On the way down we stayed over night in Stirling and visited my favourite Stirling castle.
Unfortunately the Argyll and Sutherland Highlander record books were closed due to covid.
My Great grandfather was in the 9th A and S regiment.
Died 1914.
However we were able to see the lovely memorial garden.

Then on to the wonderful Kelpies in Falkirk, so glad we we went.

Icing on the cake, an Edinburgh/ Glasgow publicity photo shoot taking place in front of the Kelpies.
Two hunky rugby player positioned in front of the magnificent kelpies proudly flying their team flag.grin

Having drove past it many a time, we managed had a quick visit to Hill house in Helensburgh.
I do love a bit of Rennie Macintosh.

Grandmabatty Wed 22-Sep-21 20:55:53

It sounds like you have had a lovely time. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday. Haste ye back.

Kim19 Wed 22-Sep-21 21:01:35

You certainly packed a lot in. Well done and so glad you enjoyed.