Gransnet forums

Travel

Car leasing

(18 Posts)
MayBeMaw Wed 16-Feb-22 18:39:23

Does this come under travel?
Aged 73 and three quarters I think I am going to have to say goodbye to my Skoda Roomster soon. It’s a great size of car similar to a Golf so easy to park, but quite high and with a huge “square” boot so Rosie can travel in comfort . But they don’t make them any more.
I am not yet ready to commit to an electric car as they are still v expensive so I wondered about car leasing.
At e.g. £200 a month,, the equivalent price of a new car would pay for many years and I have learned to my cost that trade-in values can be a joke.
So, do you lease a car?
What do you think of the idea? How dies it stack up against buying eg a pre registered car?
I have got such an open mind I am likely to be easily influenced by a smooth talking salesman so I really want to do my homework first.
I need my independence, living in a village there are few buses and while I don’t mind calling in the occasional favour, I value my independence.
Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome!

MayBeMaw Wed 16-Feb-22 20:26:32

Nobody? sad

Tizliz Wed 16-Feb-22 20:31:02

We lease our car but it is via our business which means we can claim some vat back. It is quite expensive and you have to think carefully about how many miles you do. You don’t want to be paying over the top but if you go over your mileage then it is expensive.

Smileless2012 Wed 16-Feb-22 20:34:50

We leased cars when we had our business and had some fabulous models but I much prefer to have my own.

You have to be careful with mileage because if you exceed the annual 'allowance' the price per mile is often excessive. Also be very careful about insurance as an addition is needed to cover the cost if heaven forbid the vehicle is written off.

Nonogran Wed 16-Feb-22 20:37:20

I don’t know much to impart except that a colleague leased a small car & was “stung” big time for a couple of small scratches at the end of her leasing period. She had quite an argument with an intransigent service provider.
My youngish neighbour leased a Mercedes. He was absolutely paranoid about it sustaining any marks or scratches for fear of bodywork charges at the end. He became obsessed with checking it over several times a day wherever it was parked. I’m not suggesting you will be like that but do some research about “return condition penalties” before you sign up. Check the small print. Assume nothing,

kittylester Wed 16-Feb-22 21:50:09

We have our nain car on a PCP which like leasing. We have ours over 3 years, making a monthly payment which often includes servicing. We put down a deposit and then there is a balloon payment at the end. The balloon payment can be paid off and the car becomes yours or you can hand the car back.

It works very well for us.

BigBertha1 Wed 16-Feb-22 22:25:18

We do that too like Kitty says...been doing it for years while at work and we just carried on. No problems 're normal wear and tear or minor scratches. We find Nissan very good to deal with.

Shandy57 Tue 01-Mar-22 18:24:00

I've been looking into this MayBeMaw but am too worried about possible damage. Again today I was forced up against a scratchy hedge in a narrow country lane by the DPD driver.

A friend leases a Mini Countryman (SUV) for £300 per month, she has the option of buying it in three years time.

I definitely need to replace my car quickly, it is now depressing me as things seem to be going wrong all the time. My Nissan X Trail is eleven years old, and yet again today the exhaust is coked up because I don't go far or fast enough. Time for a change.

karmalady Tue 01-Mar-22 18:37:52

my daughter had a PCP car, a skoda fabia. It was very limited with mileage and she decided lately to buy it, rather than give it back. She did not like the leasing, was too restrictive

mokryna Tue 01-Mar-22 18:52:58

My daughter is very happy with her new leased electric car via the NHS contract. It’s her second leased one, she handed back her petrol one after the three years were up under the contrat for another. She drives quite a few miles to and from the hospital and charges it up at night. She says it’s cheaper than buying her own and electricity is cheaper than petrol also.

midgey Tue 01-Mar-22 18:56:00

Now is not the moment to buy a new car if you can hang on!
Though I realise leased cars are new.

Kate54 Tue 01-Mar-22 19:02:01

If you can afford it, it’s a trouble-free way of running a car. Normal wear and tear has never been an issue for me; they don’t even expect it to be clean on return. I’d recommend Peugeot. For the last two cars, they’ve been ‘forward selling’ so you get a new car six months before the contract ends. I’m ok with this as long as there’s no deposit and the payments stay the same.
If you do go for it, be aware you will be ‘persuaded’ to buy something called gap insurance. Completely unnecessary for the first year and debatable for years two and three. If you think you need it, you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Visgir1 Tue 01-Mar-22 20:10:22

Done it for years now.
I have also bought them outright after deal ended. I have sold them on to friends and my daughter got a real bargain! I would rather they were sold to chums than back to a dealer especially as they have low mileage and have been looked after.

Agree on Gap insurance, check that out yourself.
Have fun looking at the choice available.

Katie59 Tue 01-Mar-22 20:46:23

A private buyer would not usually “lease” a car, it’s much more beneficial to a business customer. PCP is the usual way to finance a new car, after the contract period, often 3 yrs you have the option to buy the car at a fixed price or give it back. It’s very flexible, you can choose the mileage, the deposit and the duration, some brands have 0% interest..

Kate54 Tue 01-Mar-22 20:55:08

Yes, should have said I use PCP.

Shandy57 Tue 01-Mar-22 20:57:31

What is PCP?

Shandy57 Tue 01-Mar-22 20:59:13

Just googled it, Personal Contract Purchase - of course smile

Katie59 Wed 02-Mar-22 09:14:05

I’ve just looked at the NHS Personal Lease scheme, what they are offering is basically £150 off a new car and that can easily lost when wrapped up in the whole deal.

Don’t assume it’s a good deal, get other quotes, I’ve just ordered a new Yaris and the difference between deals was £50 a MONTH, trading in my old Toyota. They actually paid me £7k above the finance settlement cost for it.