Gransnet forums

Travel

Restful hotel for convalescent family member

(16 Posts)
Nonogran Sun 13-Mar-22 20:33:26

Im hoping for recommendations for a peaceful and beautifully run hotel in the South West below Bristol or alternatively in Wales but not too far up into Wales which could make the journey by car too long.
Chap involved will be recovering from major surgery and time in intensive care on life support.
Hope to be strong enough in May so thinking now for what will be a delightful stay, no request too difficult, good beds, linen & room size and beautifully cooked and quietly served food. Sea or country views, nice garden to enjoy and definitely not in town or city. Budget not too critical so all ideas and experiences welcome.

Lathyrus Sun 13-Mar-22 20:37:01

Are we talking heart surgery here?

I’m just asking because the “convalescent” period might look a bit different from what you imagine?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 13-Mar-22 20:39:33

Chewton Glen if budget is not a problem

Nonogran Sun 13-Mar-22 20:41:39

Thank you Lathyrus, not heart surgery as such.
As it happens I’ve experience of quadruple heart bypass recovery elsewhere in the family but not the same area this time. Not cancer either.

Lathyrus Sun 13-Mar-22 20:47:18

Hope it all goes well ?

Afraid I don’t know that part of the world at all.?

Casdon Sun 13-Mar-22 20:51:45

There’s a lovely hotel with an excellent reputation not far from where I live, that would fit the bill. It’s about 45 minutes from the M4 junction at the Coldra, east of Newport.
www.gliffaeshotel.com/

Nonogran Sun 13-Mar-22 21:25:30

Thank you Casdon. It looks lovely & I will explore the website in detail.

Thanks to Grannygravy13 too. I’ve stayed at Chewton Glenn in the past so it’s a good suggestion too. Thank you.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 13-Mar-22 23:18:39

Casdon we’ve stayed there a couple of times, it’s a lovely hotel. On one occasion we rented the gatehouse, but took meals in the Main Hotel, it’s not too far to walk.

Callistemon21 Sun 13-Mar-22 23:27:32

It looks lovely Casdon.

Nonogran
I don't know when this person will be recovering from major surgery and time in intensive care on life support but I would say from recent experience that it will probably be some time before he will be fit enough to tackle a car journey and a stay in a hotel.
The time spent on life support may need a longer recovery time than the surgery. He will be more vulnerable to Covid too and home may be safer for the time being.

However, if you do plan this, I recommend you make sure there is a good lift or book a ground floor bedroom.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Mar-22 23:31:45

A friend always recommends the Trefidian (sp?) hotel in Aberdovy Wales. She says it’s perfect for a relaxing break. It gets 5* reviews on trip advisor.

CanadianGran Sun 13-Mar-22 23:48:49

How about the Northfield hotel in Minehead? It looks nice. Lovely gardens and terrace, close to the sea.

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Mar-22 04:17:02

I agree with Callistemon
It’s also reassuring to be near to your GP, local hospital etc.

Scribbles Mon 14-Mar-22 08:23:25

The Hollies Hotel at Bower Hinton, near Yeovil is nice. Lovely rooms, many on the ground floor, a garden, delicious food.

Nonogran Mon 14-Mar-22 08:46:13

Oh wow you’ve all given me some good ideas and I take on board what Callistemon says about slow recovery, vulnerability & convalescence.
I won’t book anything until I’m sure he’s up to strength & GP says he’s completely out of the woods. He will enjoy planning a trip and gives him something to look forward to as the days lengthen.
Thanks to all for your good wishes, advice and suggestions.

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Mar-22 08:49:31

You are spot on about having something to look forward to.
You will both enjoy the researching and planning.
And even if it you go late than expected, you will have something to aim for.
I know exactly how that feels.
Wishing you both all the very best

Barmeyoldbat Mon 14-Mar-22 08:54:03

I stayed at The Celtic Manor near Newport after my knee replacement