Gransnet forums

Travel

Budget airlines stress, is it just me?

(40 Posts)
Sago Fri 25-Mar-22 10:10:17

Next week we fly out to Portugal with Jet2, we return on a Ryan Air flight.

It’s a complete nightmare!

I am convinced there will be some box I haven’t ticked or the airline have changed the rules re baggage size overnight.

Have I accidentally packed some small animals and a kilo of cocaine in my hand luggage and finally do my scales work or will I be wearing half my luggage on the plane?

I will check my handbag so many times for passports, purses and phone I’m at greater risk of losing them!

I look at all the other passengers at check in and if they are going through the same turmoil as me then they are hiding it well.

Please tell me I’m not alone.

mrswoo Fri 25-Mar-22 15:30:19

I flew Jet2 to Malta last September and I've got to say they were fantastic. I honestly can't fault them. What really impressed me was, on both flights, having reached our destination we were disembarked row by row. There was no pushing or shoving everyone just left their seat calmly when instructed to do so by the cabin crew. Also, prior to our trip they kept in touch by email to insure we had all the right documents etc. Luckily, you that you no longer need to complete a UK Passenger Locator Form prior to returning home - as that was a bit of a nightmare. Just make sure you have downloaded and/or printed you NHS covid pass and any pass needed by the Portuguese authorities. It all seems overwhelming at first but once you're travelling its actually quite straightforward and far less stressful than it seems to be before you leave home.
Have a lovely holiday, you will be fine!

dustyangel Fri 25-Mar-22 15:44:15

Ginny42 don’t feel guilty about needing assistance, it ends up being much better for the airline to know who might need help and you will recover properly from your illness.

Urmstongran Fri 25-Mar-22 16:23:05

roganjosh

We fly Ryanair by choice travelling between home in Spain and UK and other European destinations. Book via their website and follow the instructions and have never had any problems, they were brilliant rebooking flights during Covid so no complaints from me.

None from us either roganjosh! Ryanair is cheap and does what it says on the tin. Very happy to-ing and fro-ing with them to be honest.

V3ra Fri 25-Mar-22 16:29:34

I flew with Jet2 in February and they disembarked us one row at a time. Very civilised. The crew said they were hoping to keep that going forward so hopefully it'll still be the case when we fly with them next month ?

Urmstongran Fri 25-Mar-22 16:49:05

When we disembarked on Wednesday from a Ryanair flight there was no pushing and shoving. Passengers were polite and courteous, standing in the aisle to allow each row to stand up and exit. Very civilised but to be honest I’ve never seen it not be so.

My favourite is Jet2 because that cheery holiday music (from the Tv ad) is played on embarking & disembarking - certainly lifts the experience! Costs more though ... we fly with them to Ibiza in June.

sodapop Fri 25-Mar-22 17:34:07

I have to fly with Ryanair to UK because there is no choice. The flight is just over an hour so need for food or drinks on board. I have almost always been satisfied with their service and found staff to be courteous and helpful in the main.
Like Urmstongran I think the service is fine for the money.

nandad Fri 25-Mar-22 17:57:12

Sago, to answer your question. Yes, a lot of passengers are going through the same turmoil that you go through, you just don’t see it. I’m a regular flyer but boy I drive myself crazy checking everything twice, three times sometimes even four but I do it before I get to the airport. Put aside some quiet time to check that you have completed reservation and any paperwork that you might need. Make a list beforehand and tick it off as you go. Put passport, money, paperwork in a bag, perhaps the bag you are taking with you. Leave the list out and only look at the list. You could even put it on your phone. Night before departure, get yourself a drink, go through the list. Then relax, you’re going on holiday!
If your GC are being assessed for ASD they may suffer from sensory overload, if they are not too young, headphones may help. Do some research about what has worked for others. If you are getting stressed and they sense this, they will also get stressed.
Plan and be organised and have a great holiday.

Urmstongran Fri 25-Mar-22 18:26:11

I have a list in my airport handbag & check it off as I put things in. Medications, sunglasses, kindle, passports etc then I know I haven’t forgotten anything.

Himself’s list is slightly different of course - wallet, euros for train or taxi, switch off boiler ...

maddyone Fri 25-Mar-22 20:43:16

My favourite airline is Emirates. Unfortunately they don’t fly to Europe grin so we have to use another airline, usually EasyJet. We did find Qatar to be very good too, but Emirates is definitely the best.

Shandy57 Fri 25-Mar-22 21:18:13

I've got a travel 'neck' bag I wear, and if I'm in a less than salubrious area, I put it down my top. The bag is big enough for my passport, currency and credit cards. I've used it a few times and much prefer it to digging around in a handbag.

Before I found the bag I used a running belt for my cash/cards, but because I'm fat couldn't see it when opening it! Nervous moment in NY when it nearly fell off too.

I'm flying with Easyjet next week and have bought the smallest backpack EVER for the cabin. 45 x 36 x 20 cm. We're only going for a few days and thought I'd be OK with a cabin bag, and managed to book the last two £7.99 seats. Hours later I thought I'd take a 'large cabin bag' as well - would have had to change seats and pay another £31.99 each, there and back. Just told my son we'll buy toiletries when we get there, shower gel for £1 I'm still saving £120+

Vanessa59 Sat 26-Mar-22 01:12:08

The budget airlines just want to get you there as quickly as possible and turn the aircraft round for the next trip. Not much thought is giving to your enjoyment of the experience. The long haul flights and scheduled flights usually want to make the experience part of your holiday and often promote that airline's country in the way of hospitality. You get the feel the voyage is part of your holiday and not just a means to an end, but you are paying for it.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Mar-22 01:31:40

I bet I'd still be in a seat with a tired kid who won't go to sleep behind me, kicking me up the bum.

Kim19 Sat 26-Mar-22 08:39:57

I've no expectations of a flying service other than they get me from A to B with civility and a modicum of comfort. The rest is up to me. After many years of travel I've had few problems and much gratitude for the £5 seats which tempted me to explore areas I would otherwise never have visited. So many happy memories.

biglouis Mon 28-Mar-22 01:51:24

I'm strong enough to queue for 2-3 hours! My friend thinks I should choose assisted boarding, but I'm only a bit weak after recovering from illness and don't have anything really wrong with me like others, so I feel I shouldn't

I phoned the airline to arrange for assisted boarding and de-boarding the last few times I flew. I had no compunction about doing so. If people with mobility issues stopped asking for these facilities they would disappear.

I recall having a conversation with a man on one flight who asked me what my "disability" was. When I told him it was arthritis he replied that his wife had arthritis but "did not want to make a fuss". I told him I had not made "a fuss" simply a five minute call to the airline customer services to claim a legal right. I have a well practised "edge" to my voice when talking back to foolish people like this. It certainly shut him up.