Gransnet forums

Travel

Travelling to Sydney in May - any clothes advice please!

(15 Posts)
Allyoops Sun 03-Apr-22 09:06:17

After a very long wait we're off to see our family next month, just north of Sydney. We'll be there for the last week of May and first half of June. We only have a basic baggage allowance weight so I'd be really glad of some advice on clothes to take please. We're staying with family which helps. Thank you!

Lucca Sun 03-Apr-22 09:13:23

Lightweight, loose. My go to thing is very light. tunic tops and cut off linen or cotton. Cotton sweater
Sleeveless dresses if you have good arms (I don’t.)
Trainers, sandals.

Of course you may be hiking etc in which case it’s shorts and t shirts

Rainproof jacket essential.
Sun hat ditto

Other experienced Aussie visiting grans may have other ideas.

MayBee70 Sun 03-Apr-22 10:22:49

Didn’t they have torrential rain in Sydney the other day? (not wishing to put a damper on things).

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Apr-22 10:28:32

Layers

We went in June one year and sometimes needed a warmer layer although it was mostly sunny.
And a thin waterproof.
I'd take sandals but also trainers and socks!

The temperature should be lovely and comfortable for anyone from the UK.

Have a good time

Allyoops Sun 03-Apr-22 10:56:35

Thank you for your replies - good tips there! Yes, MayBee70, they've had a huge amount of rainfall and sadly a lot of flooding for many people sad. I'll have to check the weather forecast before we go but will definitely pack a lightweight waterproof as suggested.

Pittcity Sun 03-Apr-22 11:05:49

We went in February 2019 and it rained every day but was warm.
May/June is autumn so I'd pack layers for all eventualities. They have changeable weather just like here. Remember to factor in the sea breezes.

SueDonim Sun 03-Apr-22 13:44:33

We went in September, which is like our March, and it was freezing at times! We were in a campervan in Melbourne with 2deg temps. ? Luckily, a friend there said to bring thermals. I thought she was joking but packed some anyway and we wore them a lot.

I’d say plenty of thin layers is the way to go, so you can shed them/put them on as needed.

Have a great time! ?

Lucca Sun 03-Apr-22 13:47:57

You can’t tell. I have been in may and September as well as December and don’t remember feeling cold or needing more than a cotton sweater and raincoat! Been lucky I guess.

mokryna Sun 03-Apr-22 14:01:33

I went several times to Sydney in August, the weather changes like is does in the UK. Horizontal rain one time, mornings 7 degrees, and another holiday beautiful sunny days at 20 degrees. However, way further up the coast 25 degrees. I borrowed clothes from my daughter as we are about the same size. In fact after the first trip I didn’t take a large suitcase, just took hand luggage and washed clothes there but then I don’t ‘dress up’.

Allyoops Sun 03-Apr-22 19:30:44

Thank you all thanks. Lucca I hope there isn't too much hiking involved - I'm a bit wary of the wildlife - DS found an 8ft snake skin shed in his garden recently shock.
I'm a very minimal traveller, although DH not so, which means we balance out.
GN advice has been really helpful.

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Apr-22 19:37:18

DS found an 8ft snake skin shed in his garden recently
Definitely long trousers, sock and trainers then!
Tuck your trousers into your socks.

ayse Sun 03-Apr-22 20:32:37

I’ve found it can be quite cold in OZ if it’s not summer. The houses are generally not well insulated so I’d be thinking layers as well. A good weatherproof is imo essential as are comfy shoes. My DD lived NE of Sydney and I did borrow clothes from her from time to time. If you’re going walking in the bush, trousers and socks were my go to clothing. A sun hat would also be an essential pack. Make sure you wear sunscreen if you are out anytime after 10.00am as the sun is very strong and it’s very easy to burn quickly. They have special shops that sell huge bottles of recommended products but I’m pretty sure your family will have plenty of the stuff.

Have a great time

Bigred18 Sun 03-Apr-22 22:30:47

June is winter and can be very cold. We don't have central heating so some houses can be very cold. The other morning it was 11 degrees here in Sydney. So take lots of thin layers.

Allyoops Wed 06-Apr-22 17:19:21

Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated. I can borrow more warm layers from DS if needed.
Callistemon you'll be glad to know it was non-venomous snake - so DS assured me.....

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Apr-22 17:34:24

Allyoops

Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated. I can borrow more warm layers from DS if needed.
Callistemon you'll be glad to know it was non-venomous snake - so DS assured me.....

Just as well!

I sat outside in the garden with a baby DGS once not knowing there was one hanging off the aircon outlet behind me (non-venomous)