Gransnet forums

Travel

travel to Germany with grandson

(7 Posts)
Granmole Thu 28-Apr-22 11:54:53

I am visiting Hamburg for three days with my grandson aged 8. His surname is different from ours. Do I need a letter signed by both parents to give us permission for him to accompany us? If so, must it be witnessed by a notary public?

crazyH Thu 28-Apr-22 12:00:09

A letter signed by both parents and perhaps his Birth Certificate. How lovely for both of you. Have a great time !

silverlining48 Thu 28-Apr-22 12:06:29

How exciting, have fun, best check with airline if you are flying.

Hithere Thu 28-Apr-22 12:40:34

It is a good idea to be safe.

tanith Thu 28-Apr-22 13:09:46

I took a letter signed by her parents when i did a similar trip with one of my GDs. I never needed it but to be on the safe side i would have a letter with you.

Hithere Thu 28-Apr-22 14:27:55

I travel with my kids' birth certificates and a copy of my husband's passport as I do not share the same surname with them (my choice, my kids could have had my surname when born)
My kids are biracial and also look more like their father and many people have asked me if I am the nanny - don't get me started with that

buffyfly9 Thu 28-Apr-22 15:27:49

Yes, you most definitely do, the German passport control are very strict about it. We have taken our two grandsons abroad quite a few times and we always have a letter giving us authority to take them out of the country and to make any decisions regarding their health and welfare. It is signed by both parents and accompanied by a photocopy of the parents passports showing their photos. Last time we were complimented on the letter and told that they wished everyone would supply such comprehensive details!!