Gransnet forums

Travel

Family holiday in Portugal

(10 Posts)
Francisann Sun 19-Jun-22 12:30:10

Family holiday in Portugal. Will be going with my husband, son, daughter in law and two under 5s. Any suggestions where to stay?

Zonne Sun 19-Jun-22 13:10:12

It really depends what type of holiday you want, how long you are going for, whether you want to stay in one area, and so on

I like Sesimbra for a shortish family break; lovely beaches, nice restaurants, some interesting walking nearby, easy access to Lisbon and Sintra for days out. It’s a tourist destination for many Portuguese, but few other nationalities.

If beach holidays aren’t your thing (they aren’t mine, really), it’s worth considering the Upper Alentejo region, interesting and lovely mediaeval towns like Castelo de Vide, Alter do Chão, tiny Monsaraz, the fortress at Marvao and the marble towns such as Estremos. You’d need a car for this area though.

Sago Sun 19-Jun-22 13:55:09

There is an all inclusive hotel at Cabanas near Tavira.
We have stayed 4 times in the sister hotel at Tavira.
The reviews are excellent and it’s geared towards families.

Glorianny Sun 19-Jun-22 14:47:44

Cabanas is very family orientated and you could do a trip to Tavira which is more adult based. (Although the little train that goes round and the boat trip out to Tavira Island might please some under 5s). I wasn't with children but found the train which goes along that coast great for visiting other places. I much preferred that part of Portugal to the Algarve and Albufiera which I went to on my first trip there.

Francisann Mon 20-Jun-22 07:47:28

Thanks for your suggestions girls, will look into all of this.

Fleurpepper Sun 31-Jul-22 15:48:52

I'd love to visit Portugal one day. But it is a very large country and very varied. I fancy the North, near Porto.

Where are all the suggestions made- Algarve?

Loulelady Sun 31-Jul-22 16:02:45

Alvor is lovely!
It’s on the Algarve. Best booked as a package as it is just over an hour from the airport so an expensive transfer if you have to pay for it separately.
It has a bit of everything: pushchair friendly boardwalks with stunning views; miles of wide beach, smaller beaches with rock formations; a picturesque old town teeming with cafés and restaurants. There are lots of interesting excursions nearby by boat, car or bus trip.

Loulelady Sun 31-Jul-22 16:04:56

Glorianny - Tavira is in the Algarve, it’s a large region. Tavira is very lovely, I agree.

Squiffy Sun 31-Jul-22 16:22:51

Lagos and Burgau, in the Algarve, are lovely. Lagos is a pleasant town with a marina and beach. Burgau is a fishing village with a few shops, various eateries, a lovely beach and is near Praia da Luz. P da Luz gets very busy during peak times!

Grandmabatty Sun 31-Jul-22 17:11:15

I second Alvor. It's close to the beach resorts but is a lovely village with excellent restaurants.