Gransnet forums

Travel

Fred Olsen cruises

(19 Posts)
TiggyW Tue 12-Jul-22 23:42:54

We’re considering a Fred Olsen cruise, but I’m wondering whether we’re too young!? (We’re in our 60s.) The main attraction for us is the embarkation at Liverpool, rather than having to make the 240 mile journey down to Southampton. ? Fred Olsen is the only cruise line currently starting from Liverpool.

LtEve Wed 13-Jul-22 05:17:56

We went on one in 2019 when I was 54 and my DH 56 and loved it. It was very civilised but a lot of fun, plenty to do on sea days, different bars at night with a variety of entertainment but always one you could retreat to if you wanted a quiet drink. Food was good and the staff were amazing, incredibly helpful and friendly.
Lovely to have small ships too.

Ashcombe Wed 13-Jul-22 06:33:16

Yes, I endorse all that has been said by LtEve. Fred Olsen, especially Balmoral, for us, too. The food is good, but you don’t feel over loaded, the staff are wonderful and we enjoy the range of entertainment and the feel of a smaller ship.

Go for it, TiggyW and have a wonderful time!

DerbyshireLass Wed 13-Jul-22 06:33:22

Not too young at all, nowadays cruising is not the sole preserve of rich elderly widows......?.

And tbh someone in their 80s or even 90s can be just as much fun, just as entertaining, just as lively and just as interesting as someone half their age.

Age is just a number.......

DerbyshireLass Wed 13-Jul-22 06:36:57

Forgot to add,

I went on the Balmoral in 2018. Lovely ship. Had a whale of a time. I am a widow and travel solo.

Kittye Wed 13-Jul-22 07:53:20

We did a Fred Olsen cruise on the Balmoral a few years ago when we were in our 60s. The ship was rather old fashioned compared to other cruise lines we use, but the service was superb. We’d definitely use them again.

TiggyW Wed 13-Jul-22 15:58:19

Thanks everyone for your replies. We’re not first time cruisers, but we’re used to bigger ships with a wider age range.
One other query, if I may - is the movement of a smaller ship more noticeable than on the larger ones? We don’t really suffer from seasickness, but the large ships are very smooth running, unless it’s stormy!

Ro60 Wed 13-Jul-22 16:39:13

Go for it Tiggy! Been with 'Fred' a few times.
First was with DD (shed 14) who had an ME type condition at the time. We picked Fred - Balmoral because it was smaller & she was more likely to get to breakfast!
Their ships all have stabilizers & are just as smooth as the larger ships.
Went on Bolette in March - still great service & can't wait to go again.
Plenty of choice in food & dining options, entertainment as good as any other.

Ro60 Wed 13-Jul-22 16:58:57

Ps: Re: Age, on our journey home DD remarked,
"Old people, they're just like us aren't they?" ?
You won't be the youngest ?

Chrissyoh Wed 13-Jul-22 17:12:02

*TiggyW
I’ve been on the Fred Olsen Borealis twice ( from Liverpool).
We really enjoyed it .
There is a Facegroup Page of regular Fred Olsen cruisers - maybe have a look at that .
We are now looking at Saga as all the cabins have a balcony .
Whatever you decide : Enjoy ! ?*

Soozikinzi Wed 13-Jul-22 18:02:17

Ambassador cruises are also sailing from Liverpool next year . They're a new company so I'm afraid I dont know anything about them . Good that more ships are using Liverpool though for us northerners !

TiggyW Wed 13-Jul-22 21:29:22

Thanks again, everyone! ?? Does anyone know how many Covid cases there have been on cruise ships this year? I read that the Borealis cruise to the Caribbean was cut short during the Winter.

Ro60 Wed 13-Jul-22 23:42:30

www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-covid-status-tracker-daily-update-chart-news-and-possible-cases/

Allsorts Mon 25-Jul-22 06:59:47

TiggyW

Thanks again, everyone! ?? Does anyone know how many Covid cases there have been on cruise ships this year? I read that the Borealis cruise to the Caribbean was cut short during the Winter.

I wouldn't want to drive to Liverpool to board ship.

LtEve Mon 25-Jul-22 07:44:54

They also sail from Southampton and Dover/Tilbury. Some from Rosyth too I believe.

TillyTrotter Mon 25-Jul-22 07:55:13

We know of 2 couples on different cruises in the last month who have contracted Covid during their cruise and been confined to their rooms for the latter part of their holiday.

One was on a Cunard ship that Michael Ball was on and he got Covid.

silverlining48 Mon 25-Jul-22 08:16:37

We have had about 4 Fred cruises in the past and can recommend. We were in our 60s and while Fred customers are generally older we had a great time.
Whether we would cruise at the moment is another question.

Esmay Mon 25-Jul-22 09:22:31

I've only heard marvellous things about Fred Olsen cruises - sign me up for one !

I suffer from travel sickness and to counteract seasickness - I take over the counter pills wear sea bands and have a supply of ginger tea , biscuits and sweets -otherwise I'd never go anywhere !

TiggyW Wed 27-Jul-22 11:19:25

Thanks again for all the replies to my post. We’re still debating whether to book with Fred Olsen; I’ve read that Borealis broke down at Portsmouth during one cruise, so all the passengers had to be taken back to Liverpool by coach! The ships are older than most, yet the cruises are more expensive. We may have to reconsider trailing down to Southampton again, or have a look at Ambassador cruises next year. ?