Gransnet forums

Travel

Checking in online

(11 Posts)
Callistemon21 Fri 09-Sep-22 14:53:36

Esspee

Please don’t worry. Often checking in online and printing off boarding passes is a total waste of time as they have you go through it again at the airport without giving a reason.

Thankfully you won’t have to jump through the covid hoops which were different for every country.

Simply get to the airport in time and if you haven’t checked in they will do it for you.

Yes, we've found that too.

I printed off all the boarding passes all the way through online and they reprinted them all again at Heathrow.

At one time we had to self check-in at the airport and weigh and print our own luggage labels too - that was a nightmare. It required assistance from a hovering member of staff who could have just as easily done it a check-in desk and far more quickly.

rubysong Fri 09-Sep-22 08:28:02

Thank you Espee, I'll stop worrying. We are visiting DS- and family. We haven't been since 2016, so a bit rusty with what to do. We need to get from T5 to the hotel once we arrive at Heathrow, then back to T5 on the morning of the flight. I know there is a good bus service from the hotels to T5. Is it necessary to book?

Iam64 Fri 09-Sep-22 08:12:45

We are going to Southern Europe next week. I’m finding the on line/customer responsible for everything stressful.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 09-Sep-22 07:34:52

Were accepted, not was.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 09-Sep-22 07:34:24

We checked in online, only 48 hours ahead, nowadays.

When we got to the airport people had their boarding passes on their phones and just showed them to Airline staff and they was accepted. Going through to boarding they held their phones under the scanner.

Although apparently you can print them off at airports.

Esspee Fri 09-Sep-22 06:25:37

Please don’t worry. Often checking in online and printing off boarding passes is a total waste of time as they have you go through it again at the airport without giving a reason.

Thankfully you won’t have to jump through the covid hoops which were different for every country.

Simply get to the airport in time and if you haven’t checked in they will do it for you.

rubysong Fri 09-Sep-22 00:04:02

Crikey, I'm in a panic now. We go to USA next week. We've done ESTA but checking in before getting to Heathrow is going to be very difficult as we have to stay in a hotel the night before after a journey from Cornwall. We don't have smartphones but I have a tablet. What do they ask at check in?

Rosiebee Mon 05-Sep-22 13:16:03

We've always checked in online with no probs but this is soooo complicated and we're reasonably computer savvy. DH is meticulous about doing things "right" and he's so worried that it will all go t**s up if we can't check in.

Witzend Mon 05-Sep-22 10:27:32

Yes, we’re off to the US very soon, latest of many visits. Such a faff, all of it, ESTA and what not. TBH if it weren’t for the fact of seeing my sister (the reason we’re going) I’d never go to America at all any more.
And I really dislike having to give my fingerprints at Immigration - I’ve never had to do it here.

But at least the immigration officials aren’t as rude and obnoxious as they used to be - IIRC they were once so infamous for it, there was some sort of re-education in basic courtesy.

We always check in online BTW, or rather dh does it.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Sep-22 10:27:20

A recent experience at Heathrow made us realise that checking in online had been a waste of time.

Not only was checking in online very stressful (it never used to be) the instruction was to arrive 3 hours before flight time. Just as well.

The much longer queue for those who had not checked in online moved quickly and efficiently.

The queue for those who thought they had done the right thing with online check-in was very slow indeed. It took well over an hour.

Other airlines may be more efficient.

Rosiebee Mon 05-Sep-22 10:17:08

We are flying to America and having an absolute nightmare trying to check in online. We've done this lots of times but having to fill masses of information in this time. None of which is straightforward. Is it just us? Has anyone been to the airport without checking in on line? DH is having apoplexy. The trip has been ongoing for 3 years and we're already stressed out with all the planning involved. I was asked yesterday if we were excited but we're really just panicked about getting things right and not forgetting stuff.