Gransnet forums

Travel

Newcastle upon Tyne - what to do?

(7 Posts)
Harris27 Sun 08-Jan-23 17:20:25

Theatre royal is a lovely theatre.also look at the sage Gateshead. Easy to get to we always love the sage. We have a lovely dining in the Vermont and not expensive. Hope you have a lovely time up here in geordieland we are really friendly. Glad you’re on the mend.

Oldbat1 Sun 08-Jan-23 17:13:28

The Theatre Royal may have something on. Lovely theatre. I also love going to the Sage. You could catch the metro out to Tynemouth and have a walk by the coast loads of eateries there.

Knittynatter Sun 08-Jan-23 13:23:41

Thank you all so much for your help!
I’ve spent considerable time in the RVI previously, so it will be nice to see another side of the city 👍

Siope Sun 08-Jan-23 10:54:44

See what’s on at the Sage and the Baltic. The thrice daily bitesize tours at the Baltic are a good intro, as you don’t have a lot of time.

The castle is really nice, if compact.

And, of course, the bridges are great.

This short walk takes you over a couple of bridges and passes all of the above, and more.
walkruncycle.com/quayside-circular-walk/

Galaxy Sun 08-Jan-23 10:39:53

It does depend what you are after food wise, there are some lovely high end restaurants, House of Tides, Peace and Loaf, etc, and plenty of cheaper options, as mentioned Ginos is good on the Quayside and the hard rock cafe is also quite fun also on the quayside.
Jesmond dene is lovely for walking, lovely restaurant there called jesmond dene house, good for afternoon tea. Metro centre is a 10 minute train ride away for shopping, cinema. Oh and butterfly cabinet lovely for breakfast/brunch.

MiniMoon Sun 08-Jan-23 10:26:49

The Hancock museum is a great place to visit, It's free to enter, also the Laing Art Gallery. Lots of great places to eat, Gino's on the Quayside is lovely for an Italian meal.
Just wander around and take in all the beautiful Georgian architecture, Grey's monument. If you like football St James' Park do a tour of the stadium.

Knittynatter Sun 08-Jan-23 00:44:59

My friend and I have been randomly gifted a night in a hotel in NuT on a Saturday in March. We are 62 and 64 so can’t really go clubbing (tho it would be fab 😂) Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to eat in the evening? Anywhere fun for entertainment? TIA 👍