Gransnet forums

Travel

India for seniors

(42 Posts)
Bluebell18 Wed 08-Mar-23 19:03:51

Hello
Has anyone been to India? Its a country I've always wanted to visit never got round to as a younger person. Mt kids have been and said its amazing. As a (young) 67 year old, is it a place to go.....with hubby?

Allsorts Fri 26-May-23 06:54:06

I love programmes on India and would love to see it, but know I wouldn’t enjoy all that coach travel, having not long in a place, but especially not the crowds but most of all the poverty.

Milest0ne Wed 10-May-23 17:17:34

I had a wonderful holiday in India with an extra trip to Nepal, which I loved. The Taj Mahal was shrouded in smoke from pyres on the river bank. The Golden Temple in Amritsar was an amazing experience. Our guide was an Indian who was full of amazing stories. The only advice I would give is to have some way of fastening your glasses to stop monkeys stealing them.

Caramme Sun 30-Apr-23 22:43:28

We went to the golden triangle, 4 years ago. For me it was totally overwhelming. Despite the excellent hotels and tour company organisation there was still the mad traffic, the incessant noise, heat, filth and far too many people, none of whom have any understanding of personal space. But I don’t like crowds even in this country so I was setting myself up for a hard time by choosing to go to India. It ranks up there with Egypt as one of the two places I never want to see again. In retrospect we probably simply chose the wrong area to visit. Ranthambore, Shimla or Kerala might have been better, less frenetic choices. I also agree with others who warn against tours with long days on coaches. That is uncomfortable, exhausting, distances are vast, and it not a good use of precious holiday time. If I was doing it again I would opt for something more personalised and concentrate on just one or two centres with some days free to relax or do as you please.

Liberty Sun 30-Apr-23 20:47:39

I spent a year in West Bengal as a VSO in the late 1960s. I travelled around with other volunteers usually in the cheapest way possible and went to most parts including Kashmir and Nepal.

I think I left part of my heart there and wanted my DH to go back with me to meet up with some of the friends I kept in touch with and visit parts I had particularly loved. He was reluctant but eventually agreed.

We used Transindus who were wonderful in adding on places I wanted to return to on one of their planned itineraries. We travelled as a couple but we also used them for a second trip to Kerala and Sri Lanka…again everything planned very carefully and excellent guides. We’ve also used Saga for a trip to Bhutan and the Himalayas and again,a very well organised trip including visits to local families and schools. We were part of a group of only 12 all of whom were wonderful travelling companions.

But I still think for the real India, and not yet part of the normal tourist trail,you can’t beat Calcutta…now Kolkata….fascinating history of British imperialism, wonderful Bengali food especially their Indian sweets, and cultured people. Of course there is upsetting poverty and filth as you find anywhere in India but the vibrancy of this part of India is wonderful. As for the Oberoi Grand hotel,do stay there if you can. We last stayed there nearly 8 years ago so I do hope it hasn’t changed.
Happy travelling.

tidyskatemum Sun 30-Apr-23 20:02:08

We've been to India several times, travelling both independently and in a small tour group. It's hard to get your head round the sheer number of people but there are so many wonderful places to visit. Personally I would NOT recommend Riviera Travel - went to Vietnam with them and the tour group was far too big for us. Every stop took forever and you never got to see anything off the beaten track. Wild Frontiers have much smaller groups and go more off piste. It's down to horses for courses but never think you're too old to visit.

NanaDana Sun 30-Apr-23 19:41:20

Visited Kerala some 10 years ago now in our 60's, and like pascal30, found the local area well-developed, with good facilities, yet still with an exotic feel. We also visited adjacent Tamil Nadu, and that was most definitely a culture shock, with crushing poverty, and with beggars everywhere, poor souls. Many people in our tour group also came down with tummy troubles, so be prepared. We've no wish to return, and frankly, if we were still up to travelling that far, we'd much rather return to Singapore, where you can experience Chinese, India and Malay culture all on one fabulous island. More expensive than India, certainly, but well worth it. Another consideration about India is that it's not straightforward to visit. Check out the HMG site for advice. www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india

Katie59 Sun 30-Apr-23 17:51:03

If it’s your first visit the Golden Triangle is a good choice Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the only caution is some of the sites have a lot of steps, that aside go on a guided tour and follow the guides advice. Visas for India are expensive otherwise it’s not a costly trip.

1summer Sun 30-Apr-23 17:45:32

I have been to India (only Goa and Kerala) and Vietnam. Loved everywhere we went, But don’t think those areas has the level of poverty as other areas, I can say I never had an upset stomach but on the whole was careful.
One word of warning a few years ago my husbands cousin went to India and was very thirsty, bought a bottle of water and just wiped the top with a tissue and drank from it. She caught Weils ( think that’s how it’s spelt) disease ( they say it’s commonly caught by rats urinating on stored cans and bottles) she had multiple organ failure and is now on dialysis’ - although you could probably catch it anywhere.

Primrose53 Sun 30-Apr-23 17:31:07

silverlining48

We were on a coach for most of every day, which was not super comfortable either.
We didn’t need to see so many places and would have benefited from fewer places with more time to explore the area more,

Pretty much what my friend said silverlining48.

silverlining48 Sun 30-Apr-23 13:49:19

We were on a coach for most of every day, which was not super comfortable either.
We didn’t need to see so many places and would have benefited from fewer places with more time to explore the area more,

Primrose53 Sun 30-Apr-23 09:53:27

I couldn’t go because I just could not bear seeing all the poverty. I know 20 years ago a neighbour used to go and took a suitcase full of kids T shirts to give to all the poor kids who begged on the beach so they would leave her alone.

Since then several friends have been and a couple have asked me to join them but I just can’t. One came back and was exhausted they went in a coach holiday with Saga and some days they were on the bus all day. I couldn’t bear that either. I had warned her about the poverty in certain areas and she did say she had no wish to return there.

I am sure we have all seen the disgusting state of the Ganges which is basically several miles of floating rubbish bergs. I couldn’t bear that either.

I do like to see travel programmes about India especially train travel but that’s enough for me.

silverlining48 Sat 29-Apr-23 23:17:26

We were told Kerala was wealthier than many places, health facilities were good and the children are all educated. There were plenty of shiny cars on the roads but still a lot of poverty too, though not having been anywhere else could not judge.

Grantanow Sat 29-Apr-23 18:26:21

Just to add we went across India by train and bus. Our first class train carriage had a guard who paced up and down every so often carrying the oldest musket I've ever seen: I couldn't decide if he was security against bandits or to keep the second class passengers out. The bus journey was fine: one saw a lot of roadside activity, life being lived on the street, the occasional elephant and camel. The bus driver often drove off the road to avoid potholes!

Fleurpepper Sat 11-Mar-23 17:55:40

Riverwalk

^We have friends from Kerala, so if we went this is where we would go. There are many parts of India I just could not go, as I really could not enjoy a holiday surrounded with abject poverty and suffering.^

So you would go to a sanitised touristy area and pretend that all is well?

India is a fabulous country, warts and all.

what a horrible comment. Kerala is not a rich area, and the parents of a friend are not wealthy- but we would feel more comfortable being guided by local people with a great knowledge of the area, and meeting local people rather than tourists, and not staying in a 'gated' posh Hôtel complex.

Veridica Thu 09-Mar-23 19:36:32

Never been to India but had a few trips to Sri Lanka. Worth considering as an alternative. Wildlife is beautiful (try Yala Country Park,) plenty of Buddhist temples and stupas if you're into cultural history and 5 star hotels don't cost the earth. You can see a lot of the place in a week. Kandy in the centre has much to offer and there is a Tea Plantation hotel in the highlands of Nuwara Eliya which is unlike anything you've ever seen. Favourite is the Kandalama hotel, set into the hillside with open corridors that you share with wildlife. Country has been through a bad time lately so maybe they are trying to boost the tourist industry to help recovery. Lottery win Friday night and would be off on a plane to SL on the weekend!

PernillaVanilla Thu 09-Mar-23 16:34:01

Shimla

PernillaVanilla Thu 09-Mar-23 16:33:35

I have been twice, once on the golden triangle plus Shiela and once on a riding holiday in Assam on retired race horses in the tea plantations ( I was 64 then). One thing I did notice is that there were lots of older tourists in their 90’s or so. As you stay in good hotels on the organised trips and can have a private driver and guide it is not a physically difficult holiday. The yak mahal, tigers at Rathambore, an evening jungle ride on a retired elephant and everything about Shimla where we talked to lots of ladies who were dressed up in their wedding saris for the “festival of the married women” was incredible. Assam is a long journey but there was lots of culture and amazing scenery there too. Yes. You must go!

biglouis Thu 09-Mar-23 16:18:18

I went there many years ago and organised my own trip around Rajasthan. Loved Jaipur. Took a side trip to Kathmandu over christmas/new year and fell in love with Nepal. Have been back three times to Nepal.

aquagran Thu 09-Mar-23 16:04:41

Golden triangle with Cox and Kings. Luxurious hotels and personal driver. Wonderful!

pascal30 Thu 09-Mar-23 15:59:01

I went to Kerala about 10 years ago and stayed in a fabulous hotel with an ayurvedic clinic. We did not find it a culture shock as over 90% of the population are educated and have good health facilities. We visited many places by taxi, seeing Cochin, wildlife parks and the backwaters but when we went over the border into Tamil Nadu to see some temples it was like a different country with so much obvious poverty and illness. we found the people to be amazingly vibrant and welcoming andthe climate is gorgeous in our winter. Just do a bit of research before you go I'm sure you'll love it there Bluebelle

Farmor15 Thu 09-Mar-23 15:47:08

As there are lots of misconceptions about India, after a visit a few years ago I put together some photos as a slide show for my local women's group "Everday life in India". It's in pdf format and I can send by email to anyone interested.

Nannynoodles mentions visiting a slum in Mumbai. We've done that too, with a local resident who was working as a dental receptionist for OH's niece. She was so proud to show us around and introduce us to her friends. One of our sons goes to India as often as he can and she always invites him to her place for a meal, even though her accommodation is very basic.

India is very much "in your face" - there are few sanitised touristy areas. But the colour, noise, heat, smells are such a contrast to our normal experience that it's worth a visit.

dogsmother Thu 09-Mar-23 14:22:53

Perfect thread. Just been discussing whet her or not to try India…..convinced now that we will do it.
Have been to Vietnam twice also Cambodia. So agree with others on comments. Don’t drink the water unless bottled. Keep washing hands and remember the same with teeth brushing only bottled water.

Riverwalk Thu 09-Mar-23 14:06:10

Mumski Riviera is a great company - I'm usually an independent traveller but have been on a number of their tours and they've always been excellent.

Long before Covid they stressed hand hygiene so take a few of the small hand gel bottles with you.

Wherever you go in the world the food, water, climate is different and your bowels can react - doesn't mean you've picked up a bug. On day 2 my stools were a bit loose so I took some Immodium and that was it, everything fine for the rest of the trip.

It's quite a packed itinerary but so well organised and I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

mumski Thu 09-Mar-23 13:53:18

Humbertbear and Riverwalk. Thanks for your really useful comments. I've booked to go with Riviera on one of their Solo tours to India in April. I'm excited but a bit anxious too. Is there any 'must pack' or ' must do' to make the holiday go well? I'm taking lots of Immodium just in case. grin as I always go down with every stomach bug going. Any advice is very welcome.

Riverwalk Thu 09-Mar-23 13:50:53

We have friends from Kerala, so if we went this is where we would go. There are many parts of India I just could not go, as I really could not enjoy a holiday surrounded with abject poverty and suffering.

So you would go to a sanitised touristy area and pretend that all is well?

India is a fabulous country, warts and all.