Gransnet forums

Travel

Should airports and airlines ban alcohol?

(124 Posts)
Sago Sun 09-Jul-23 18:47:43

We had friends for supper last night and had this debate.

Interestingly as we all drank many glasses of lovely wine we all 6 agreed we would feel much happier flying if all airports and planes were “dry”

Do you agree or do you enjoy a drink when on the plane or at the airport?

SueDonim Sun 09-Jul-23 18:54:16

I like a G&T when I get on the plane and wine with my meal. I can have a sleep after that.

I cause no one any trouble, it affects no one and I don’t see why I can’t enjoy that small pleasure just because some people can’t control themselves.

By all means come down harder on those who do misuse alcohol on flights but don’t punish the inoffensive passengers.

Kim19 Sun 09-Jul-23 19:01:29

Indirectly (or even directly) all passengers could be adversely affected by the overindulgers. Much as I enjoy a tipp!e on board myself, I feel a ban would make life easier and more pleasant for the staff. Trouble is there will still be those who have over indulged before boarding.

Redhead56 Sun 09-Jul-23 19:13:36

No I don’t think it’s necessary air crew are trained enough to spot trouble. I have seen people being refused to board a plane as it was obvious they were drunk. It was the right decision as they could have caused chaos mid air if they were refused drink.

Petrol stations should not sell any alcohol the one near us actually advertises as being an off licence now. This is totally wrong there are enough places that sell alcohol a garage should not.

Abitbarmy Sun 09-Jul-23 19:15:04

I agree absolutely with Suedonim.

NanaDana Sun 09-Jul-23 19:21:18

I don't see why the many should be punished for the bad behaviour of the few. Surely it makes more sense to introduce penalties which are strong enough to deter drunks from causing trouble or endangering others through their stupid behaviour. Try to ban alcohol and some people will still go to almost any length to still have access to it, quite apart from being encouraged to arrive at the airport already intoxicated. Alcohol and its effects need to be better-managed and controlled, but not banned.

Kate1949 Sun 09-Jul-23 19:24:38

No. We don't fly any more but when we did, I hated it. A glass of wine helped me cope. No one I ever travelled with went over the top drink wise.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-Jul-23 19:26:45

Definitely no ban, why punish all for the selfish few.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jul-23 19:31:34

Why do you need to have alcohol on a flight can’t you have a coffee or soft drink if you’re thirsty I ve never understood why they serve it on board so yes get rid of it unnecessary in my opinion

Ziplok Sun 09-Jul-23 19:32:15

I agree, it shouldn’t be banned. The ones who become drunk and obnoxious should have to face the consequences; but the many shouldn’t have to suffer due to the actions of a few.

Georgesgran Sun 09-Jul-23 19:33:43

Our ritual is coffee and a pastry airside and a small bottle of fizz on the outbound flight to start our holiday off.
No ban on the flight, but I’d look at some of ‘the states’ trying to board! We were turned back to Shannon mid-Atlantic and spent a night there, only to find that the medical emergency on board was a drunk passenger! Next morning the pilot refused him permission to fly - just as well, as the passengers were ready to lynch him!

Visgir1 Sun 09-Jul-23 19:41:12

One word.. No

Iam64 Sun 09-Jul-23 20:15:23

I’m always amazed by the numbers of British holidaymakers drinking pints of beer, g and tests, wine etc at 6 am whilst waiting to board their 8 am flight.

You don’t see this need to gulp down alcohol as proof you’re on holiday in foreign airports

Dickens Sun 09-Jul-23 20:31:23

BlueBelle

Why do you need to have alcohol on a flight can’t you have a coffee or soft drink if you’re thirsty I ve never understood why they serve it on board so yes get rid of it unnecessary in my opinion

So it should be banned - because you think it's "unnecessary"?

I don't actually drink alcohol - but I'm pretty sure those that do don't drink it because they're thirsty. For some it's an enjoyable beverage with a meal, others have a drink to unwind and relax... and why not? People sometimes look forward to an on-board drink if they're going on holiday as part of the ritual.

Each to his own, eh?

Why should the sensible majority be penalised because of the selfish and undisciplined minority of louts who can't control themselves.

Callistemon21 Sun 09-Jul-23 20:41:01

Dickens

BlueBelle

So it should be banned - because you think it's "unnecessary"?

I don't actually drink alcohol - but I'm pretty sure those that do don't drink it because they're thirsty. For some it's an enjoyable beverage with a meal, others have a drink to unwind and relax... and why not? People sometimes look forward to an on-board drink if they're going on holiday as part of the ritual.

Each to his own, eh?

Why should the sensible majority be penalised because of the selfish and undisciplined minority of louts who can't control themselves.

On a long-haul flight having one glass of wine with the inflight meal makes it more palatable!

I've never seen anyone drunk on a long haul flight going to or from the Middle East or Far East and onwards.

Perhaps air crew should have the powers to remove anyone who boards who is already drunk and/or limit the number of drinks available during a flight.

Iam64 Sun 09-Jul-23 20:50:52

I think they do Callistemon, have the right to stop people boarding when drunk

Callistemon21 Sun 09-Jul-23 20:56:47

My experience has been that most people settle down, read, watch a movie, eat, have a drink, alcoholic or not, then settle down to to try to sleep until breakfast.

On short haul then surely alcohol could easily be limited?

CanadianGran Sun 09-Jul-23 20:59:34

No, I don't think it should be banned. We enjoy a drink once on board if we are headed to a vacation.

Mind you, with the level of service in the cabin these days, it would be near impossible to actually over-indulge. I think on a 5 hour flight to Mexico in February, the drinks cart was offered twice.

It amazes me when I do see someone over-indulging at an airport before a flight. Why on earth would one want to put themselves through lineups, security, etc, while feeling drunk or tipsy? Then customs on the other side. Beyond my understanding.

Sago Sun 09-Jul-23 23:28:27

Unfortunately getting someone off a plane means getting their luggage out of the hold, this often results in long delays.

I think too many people get on planes worse for wear.

Our son lived in Prague for 7 years, he was always appalled at the state of the “stags” flying in and out, latterly Ryan Air tended to only have male cabin crew on these flights.

nanna8 Mon 10-Jul-23 06:06:58

Maybe a breathalyser when you check in then? Those airport bullies would just love that, they are bad enough (some of them) as it is.

Kim19 Mon 10-Jul-23 06:29:14

At the end of the day I think I'd rather miss out on the drink I enjoy than risk the ultimate price. Sad but true.

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Jul-23 07:41:57

I haven't really thought about this much before but as someone said earlier, you don't see this on long haul flights.

I see short flights much more like the ones we took in America- a convenience and an alternative to a long drive. I don't know what happens there generally now but I think we only had crackers and a soft drink offered between Phoenix and LA... ?

Journeys of an hour or two are different to long haul.

If you caught a bus from say, York to London would you be offered alcohol?
I don't know but maybe someone else does...

nanna8 Mon 10-Jul-23 07:55:28

All our journeys tend to be long haul, at least 8 hours, unless we go just local and even that can be 4 or 5. We have been on many such flights and I have to say we have never come across any drunk nuisances. A lot of people drink and drink a lot but they seem to hold it together.

Marriedalongtime Mon 10-Jul-23 08:30:11

We have recently returned from a holiday. Whilst waiting for our luggage in the arrivals hall, I saw a woman drop an empty 70cl bottle of vodka into a bin.
She had obviously bought this in duty free as she wouldn’t have been allowed through the security with it. So it meant she and the man she was with had consumed the whole bottle on a 4 hour flight! Unbelievable.

lixy Mon 10-Jul-23 09:51:49

I would like to separate the two things:

A glass of wine/beer during a long-haul flight aids relaxation and sleep and generally helps the flight pass by.
I really don't see the need for this on a short-haul hop.

I would like the departure lounges to be 'dry' so that people getting on the plane aren't putting themselves and others at risk. This opinion stems from an early morning flight where a group were very 'jolly' having had a liquid breakfast. The flight was miserable for everyone else as a result and the flight crew kept on apologising.