Gransnet forums

Travel

Carry on bag on aeroplane

(26 Posts)
Webbo Wed 26-Aug-26 16:59:14

Hi, I thought I’d put this query on already but I can’t find it so will try again. It’s a while since I flew and I’m not sure what type of bag to take in the cabin for my bits and pieces and possibly a change of clothes. I don’t want to take a suitcase rather something that will fit over my shoulder. Any suggestions?

Cillafan Wed 26-Aug-26 17:00:55

A rucksack, places like Sports Direct sell them.......smile

grannyjan2 Wed 26-Aug-26 17:05:39

If going on a beach/ pool sort of a holiday, I use my beach bag, and use a cotton tote type bag as a handbag, so it squishes up and fits in the beach bag.

Lathyrus3 Wed 26-Aug-26 17:05:53

Can’t beat a rucksack🙂

MT62 Wed 26-Aug-26 17:14:18

Try tkmaxx lots of different brands. Check the airline policy on the size, otherwise they may hammer you with a charge, especially Ryan Air!
I thought sports direct was really expensive.

MollyNew Wed 26-Aug-26 17:16:09

Lots of people like rucksacks but I would rather have something I can put over my shoulder so I have a travel bag from Mia Tui. It has lots of internal pockets so nothing gets lost and slip over strap at the back to go over the handle of your large suitcase if you're taking one. I can also fit a small handbag inside. If you don't like the Mia Tui ones, there are several companies which make similar overnight bags and holdalls, including Tripp, who make very good luggage and are not too pricey.

vegansrock Wed 26-Aug-26 17:20:27

www.decathlon.co.uk/p/20-l-backpack-arpenaz-100-beige/368816/c71c407m8955893

This one from decathlon can hold a lot and it’s reduced.

I also like Roka bags which are pricier but you can get a lot in their rucksacks.

Patsy70 Wed 26-Aug-26 17:22:53

I do the same as grannyjan2. Takes up very little space and is light to carry.

Fallingstar Wed 26-Aug-26 17:27:50

I have a small backpack from Kipling, a bit pricey but it is very light and made of soft washable material. Has lasted me many years.

Fallingstar Wed 26-Aug-26 17:30:48

This is the backpack I have, or very similar

Casdon Wed 26-Aug-26 18:19:32

My son has an IT luggage cabin backpack, it’s great because it’s got wheels too, so you don’t have to carry it unless you want to.

CocoPops Wed 26-Aug-26 18:22:21

I travel across the pond and just take carry on. Cothes go in a small trolley case which goes in the overhead locker. Passport etc in a handbag with a shoulder strap. Less expense and no hanging about waiting for luggage. My son travels with a holdall and a small backpack.

Aelfrith Thu 27-Aug-26 13:59:19

Roka bags do a great cross between a rucksack and shoulder bag. Ideal for a few bits and toiletries.
Also EasyJet only allow ONE piece of hand luggage which includes handbags-so a handbag = hand luggage.

grannysyb Thu 27-Aug-26 14:01:38

These days you have to pay for trolley case to go into the overhead locker. We had hold luggage last time we flew, so we just bought a bag that fitted under the seat,T K Maxx sellthem

Chicklette Thu 27-Aug-26 14:03:00

Last year I bought myself a Herschel rucksack and I love it. I managed to get everything in for. 3 day trip in the middle of winter, so needing layers and thick jumpers. It’s comfortable to wear and fits under the seat. Then I have a small cross body handbag which I keep strapped to me during the flight.

Aldom Thu 27-Aug-26 14:16:56

Chicklette which particular Herschel rucksack did you buy please? I'm interested as you say it held enough for a three day trip in winter. I'd like something to use for train travel which can stay with me on the journey.

Nanny100 Thu 27-Aug-26 14:33:37

I bought this in February for a Ryanair flight to Cornwall. It’s excellent. I got it from Amazon

Lostmyglassesxx Thu 27-Aug-26 14:58:46

I be got a “plane and simple” smal black rucksack which fits under the seat and is like A tardis ! There are lots of versions but this one came out tops .. they have it on Amazon and their own shop - I got a great discount .. shop around ..

Chicklette Thu 27-Aug-26 15:08:44

Aldom this is the rucksack. I don’t know if it has a style name, but I’m honestly really pleased with it.

fifeywifey Thu 27-Aug-26 15:14:22

It very much depends on what airline you fly with. I bought under seat baggage for an Easyjet flight but when flying to Pisa with Ryanair, the size allowable was smaller and I bought two bags from Amazon to fit. The
Airline will advise you of the required sizes on their website. Both the Ryanair and Easyjet bags had plenty of space for clothing and pockets for passports, phones etc. I prefer rucksack type bags so I have my hands free.

icanhandthemback Thu 27-Aug-26 15:33:49

You need to check on your carrier's website for the dimensions allowed. We bought carry on cases for British Airways and found them too big for Virgin.

Mauduit24 Thu 27-Aug-26 18:17:39

For me it’s my foldie bag . It has a hidden zip compartment that allows you to expand it . It’s lightweight and holds a lot more than you can imagine. It’s on a special offer until the end of the month buy one get one free .

Buddleja Thu 27-Aug-26 19:01:28

I agree with the rucksack people because I like to keep my stuff under the seat in front of me rather than in the overhead locker. That way you can access your phone, drinks and snacks and your fleece when it gets cold.

Aldom Thu 27-Aug-26 19:40:09

Thank you for the photo Chicklette. Very helpful. smile

Tenko Thu 27-Aug-26 20:16:02

Buddleja

I agree with the rucksack people because I like to keep my stuff under the seat in front of me rather than in the overhead locker. That way you can access your phone, drinks and snacks and your fleece when it gets cold.

We’ve flown several times in the emergency exit seats as there’s extra legroom and easyjet wouldn’t allow under seat bags . They insisted we put our bags up in the overhead lockers . One was a small backpack and mine was a foldie type tote bag both small enough to go under the seats . I think that the exit seats have to be completely clear .