Gransnet forums

Travel

Norfolk broads

(43 Posts)
junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 17:23:21

Hi
We are going on the Norfolk Broads for a boat holiday.

Has anyone been, and what did you pack, to take with you.

Many thanks
Junie

Kate1949 Wed 26-Jan-22 19:56:37

We went some years ago junie. We stayed in one of the villages, I can't remember which one. We didn't stay on a boat, we just went on a boat trip one day. It's a beautiful area. The broads are gorgeous. Lots of lovely places to visit. From memory I just took jeans, jumpers, tee shirts etc and a couple of nice tops for if we went for an evening meal.

tanith Wed 26-Jan-22 20:17:31

Many years ago we went in July so shorts, T-shirt’s, tracky bottoms a sweatshirt a waterproof jacket and a couple of dresses and light cardie for meals out. Good non slippy shoes as there’s lots of jumping on and off the boat. We loved it.

Patsy70 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:25:10

Yes, we’ve had many holidays on boats on the Norfolk Broads. Just pack practical, waterproof, comfortable clothes and sensible shoes that don’t slip. Of course, it depends what time of year you go, but with our climate you need to be prepared for all weathers. It’s a very casual way of life, so no need for anything formal.

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:38:25

Thanks Kate

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:39:10

Thanks Tanith

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:40:04

Thanks Patsy
I am looking forward to it

Ethelwashere1 Wed 26-Jan-22 20:45:13

Ive been on the broads, just packed jeans, trousers, nothing posh as the waterside pubs are very informal. One waterproof jacket and trainers were the only shoes. Its so lovely you dont want to worry about clothes

BladeAnnie Wed 26-Jan-22 20:52:20

We booked a boating holiday for May. Really looking forward to it as we've both wanted to do this for a long time ?

MerylStreep Wed 26-Jan-22 21:05:42

You don’t say how big ( or small ) your cruiser is.
Give a lot of thought to what you don’t need ?
Pack your gear in soft bags that can be squashed up and stored away.

M0nica Wed 26-Jan-22 22:10:37

We are going in Broads holiday at Easter. For clothes I will take an absolute minimum of everything. What I am standing up in and one change. One really warm jacket because it can be quite cold in the evening and early morning.

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 22:36:14

Thanks Ethelwashere1
Must get some new trainers

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 22:37:55

Hi Blade Annie
We are going in March
Hope you have a great time.

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 22:38:37

Thanks Merylstreep

junie1 Wed 26-Jan-22 22:40:16

Thanks M0nica
Have a great time on the broads

HettyBetty Thu 27-Jan-22 08:11:53

Love the Broads. As others have said, take a minimum of comfortable informal clothes. Maybe one slightly posher outfit just in case. If you need anything, head to Roy's at Wroxham. Lathams at Potter Heigham is a very hit and miss treasure trove but we have bought a couple of things there when we needed them. Eg the time we forgot to pack fleeces for the children or my flip-flops.

grumppa Thu 27-Jan-22 08:53:05

Coot Club and The Big Six.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 10:05:28

I have to confess to not being a fan of the Broads, but living in north Norfolk my advice is to take warm clothes!

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Jan-22 11:03:33

Agree with the advice the others have given. If the weather is good, its wonderful but you do need to be prepared and take a couple of warm pullovers and thick socks for the evenings. Even when its really hot it can seem quite chilly in the evenings and early mornings because you're on the water. But include a swimsuit, shorts and vest/T-shirt tops. And binoculars and camera. You should see otters and maybe swimming grass snakes.

For those thinking of going and haven't booked, do consider the size of the boat you're booking and don't go any bigger than you need to. Mooring spaces can get quite tight. We rarely use the formal moorings but drop the mud weights next to the reeds. Also try to get one which will go under all the bridges.

junie1 Thu 27-Jan-22 21:32:50

Thanks Hettybetty

junie1 Thu 27-Jan-22 21:33:45

Thanks grumppa

junie1 Thu 27-Jan-22 21:34:40

Will take warm clothes
Thanks Germanshepherdsmum

junie1 Thu 27-Jan-22 21:36:04

Hi NfkDumpling
Great advice thanks so much

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Jan-22 18:21:12

Enjoy!

geekesse Fri 28-Jan-22 23:24:29

This summer just gone even the smallest boats wouldn’t go under Potter Heigham bridge - the water was too high even at low tide!

I recommend layers, wellies and spare shoes, and an excess of socks and knickers, lots of books and loads of quality bacon and eggs. In fact we took all our own food and booze so we could moor overnight on a mud or rond anchor, away from the public mooring in villages. Some places get a bit noisy at night. Sunglasses are a must if it’s likely to be sunny because there’s a lot of glare off the water.

I love boating on the broads - we used to sail, but more recently a cabin cruiser proves less physically demanding.