Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Morecambe & Wise

(16 Posts)
Magsie Tue 17-May-11 21:12:31

My 10-year-old grandson is staying the night and we ended up watching Morecambe & Wise clips on YouTube. Like a lot of today's kids, he is very cool & sophisticated but he couldn't help laughing at it. It is a bit dated, I suppose, but Eric Morecambe seems such a lovely man. My mum really didn't like Ernie Wise though and referred to him as "Fancy Pants"

nanafrancis Tue 17-May-11 21:50:20

Morecombe and Wise with Andre Previn ( Mr Preview).- so funny - 'he is playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order'! Classic.
And do you remember the fuss when they had Angela Rippon on. All that fuss about her legs.

We're part way through watching 'All Creatures Great & Small' for the umpteenth time. Somehow they don't seem to make them like that any more.

Magsie Wed 18-May-11 11:28:37

The Morecambe & Wise Christmas special was one of the highlights of Christmas for me when I was a child.
My grandson also loves "Dad's Army" and "Some Mothers do 'ave 'em".

supernana Sat 28-May-11 14:45:32

Morecombe and Wise...they don't come much funnier...and they never did need to use the "f word" to raise a laugh. smile

numberplease Sat 11-Jun-11 18:26:00

Morecambe and Wise, what a loss to comedy, most comedy dates after a while, but not theirs. I must agree, Ernie Wise was nothing without Eric Morecambe, as was proved after Eric died.

greenmossgiel Sat 11-Jun-11 19:08:48

I LOVED Morcambe and Wise!! Dad's Army (which is coming on now!) - I can watch over and over again. Lance Corporal Jones ("Don't panic") is perhaps my favourite character...actually, I'm beginning to see his traits in my husband, and I think the panic is mainly caused by me. grinwink

dc Mon 08-Aug-11 18:33:51

being an old, old soldier my taste in television is very dated. however i still feel a kinship with sharpe, how that works out, i do not know, but i watch my dvd set over and over again. can i say, this is quality television, without the politically correct amongst us shouting imperialist.

sylvia2036 Mon 08-Aug-11 20:37:58

dc - I get the quality TV but I hate Sean Bean. Ugh. Worst actor on TV. Now M & W - so funny - and I think the only comedian to come anywhere near close to them is Victoria Wood - I loved her in dinnerladies and Acorn Antiques. Such good comedy and nothing blue. Open all hours was another good one. Peter Kay as well. Sorry I'm rambling - just wishing that comedy was as good as "the good old days". grin

Grumpyoldwoman Mon 08-Aug-11 20:42:51

I love watching old sitcoms on 'GOLD'....I love the old 'Last of The Summer Wine' with Compo, Cleggy etc....some hilarious lines.

''In my day ,there was no such thing as a happy marriage....you were either married or you weren't !!''

I love M & W and adore Victoria Wood....she would be top of my ''Dinner Party'' list. grin

crimson Mon 08-Aug-11 20:56:21

I felt the need for a bit of laughter yesterday so watched Miranda on iplayer; the only comedy that makes me laugh at the moment. I think you'd be disappointed with Victoria Wood as a dinner party guest...like a lot of incredibly funny people she seems very serious and unfunny in 'real life'. Huge talent, though; I loved the programmes she made about Morecombe and Wise and Housewife 24 [or something].

numberplease Mon 08-Aug-11 21:06:06

Another comedian who doesn`t need swearing or dirty jokes is Tom O`Connor. We once went to see him in a club, he was "on" for an hour and a half, no swearing, no dirty jokes, but he had the place in an uproar, brilliant night out.

janreb Tue 09-Aug-11 12:54:35

All my grandchildren love Morecombe and Wise, Dad's Army, Some Mother Do ave Em and the boys love Norman Wisdom films. We are taping a George Formby film on Thursday for the youngest boy.
We saw Jasper Carrott on stage years ago and he was so funny - we were glad when he took a break just so we could get our breath back! Agree about Tom O'Connor too.

jangly Tue 09-Aug-11 13:13:18

I had a huge crush on Eric Morecombe. I think he was one of the sexiest men on telly.

I still love him.

susiecb Tue 09-Aug-11 14:00:55

Yep we are big M & W fans also enjoy Dads Army and lots of progarmmes shown on the Yesterday channel like Onedin Line, Colditz Secret Army. we lose no oportunity to watch old Ealing comedies and British War films - I expect we are living in the past but a diet of soap operas, talent shows and reality TV holds no interest for us. Love the DAB radio we have put in the conservatory - we listen to old radio programmes esp Anthony Hancock who was the King of comedy for us, Goons, Navy Lark etc etc my absolute favourites are Men From the Ministry and Yes Prime Minister - puts it all into perpectivesmile Hope you all get some light relief todaysmile

GoldenGran Tue 09-Aug-11 17:02:58

Morecombe and Wise and Tommy Cooper still make me smile just at the memory.

greenmossgiel Tue 09-Aug-11 19:49:11

I love Dad's Army! 'Allo 'Allo as well - they're just brilliant, as is Dinnerladies! I think the timing on programmes such as these was second to none. Nothing mucky - just funny! smile