Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Royalty and the media

(88 Posts)
absentgrana Sat 09-Jul-11 13:35:19

I think we may all have had rather more royalty on the television than is comfortable. It seems to be getting sycophantic to say the least, but perhaps some people really do enjoy the coverage. Whether there's too much of the most recently married couple or not, I do wish that presenters would stop referring to the Duchess of Cambridge as Kate Middleton. They used to do the same thing with the late Princess of Wales and called her Lady Di.

greenmossgiel Sat 09-Jul-11 14:11:01

I'm fed up with seeing them! I don't care at all about them. There are just so many other things going on just now and to see the amount of money that's being spent on what they 'need' to do in order to 'integrate' themselves into the rest of the world makes me angry! angry

numberplease Sat 09-Jul-11 18:06:27

I`m still enjoying seeing the newly weds, because they seem to be a nice young couple. I used to get heartily sick of coverage of Diana and her doings, it was always in your face, and still is when the anniversary of her death comes around.

GoldenGran Sat 09-Jul-11 18:11:33

I don't mind the coverage of Will and Kate, they seem remarkably normal and unstuffy. But have no doubt the press will turn against the Duchess as soon as she makes a mistake. She seems fairly composed at the moment, and If we have to have constant Royal coverage I would rather it was them than anyone else. Except for possibly the Queen who just gets on with it and never puts a foot wrong.

Hattie64 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:29:54

They seem a pleasant young couple, but unfortunately the press/tv coverage will go on and on and on, no let up. It will get even worse when a baby is announced.

crimson Sat 09-Jul-11 18:55:04

She's promoting British fashion all over the world, which can't be a bad thing. It gives me pleasure to see two young people so happy, especially William.

GrannyTunnocks Sat 09-Jul-11 23:42:12

I enjoy watching the coverage of William and Kate. They seem a nice young couple and seem to enjoy being together. I loved watching the wedding.

crimson Sun 10-Jul-11 00:45:47

So did I. I'm also immensly proud to see them representing us on the world stage.

sylvia2036 Sun 10-Jul-11 17:20:17

crimson - I'm with you and I loved the wedding - made me very proud to be British and they represent our country so well. All joy and luck to them.

grandmaagain Sun 10-Jul-11 19:33:36

crimson, Granny ,*Sylvia*.
I totally agree smile

janthea Mon 11-Jul-11 09:40:47

crimson I'm in complete agreement with you. I loved the wedding. They seem a genuinely lovely couple. Really in love and not just a 'convenience' wedding.

shysal Mon 11-Jul-11 10:26:48

I enjoy the coverage in small doses. They seem a genuine couple. I just wish that Kate had not lost so much weight, I hope young girls will not try to do the same.

Baggy Mon 11-Jul-11 10:30:34

I had the same thought, shysal, about Kate looking too thin. She is very elegant but she would be still if she were not quite so thin. The last few months must have been stressful which can't have helped.

greenmossgiel Mon 11-Jul-11 10:41:19

Kate is very thin but no doubt the stress of the last months will have taken their toll. I actually posted quite a grumpy comment about the young couple and after having seen more and more of the tour and their obvious happiness, I think I must take my comments back (if I may)? They do seem to have a genuine warmth and interest for the ordinary people that they're meeting. There was a comment on the news last night that the tour would be promoting Britain in many good ways. Good luck to them. smile

absentgrana Mon 11-Jul-11 11:31:40

I'm all in favour of promoting British talent – whether fashion design or in the film industry – and the Cambridges seem to be doing a good job of it. She is, indeed, a stylish young woman and they do seem a pleasant enough couple. I suppose, too, it makes a pleasant change to have a good news story rather than another death in Afghanistan, more job losses in Britain, more idiotic back-of-the-envelope policies from the government and, to add insult to injury, Rupert Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks grinning like Cheshire cats. That said, I hope that now the trip to Canada and California has been so successfully completed, we'll see a little less of them.

maryjane Tue 12-Jul-11 13:51:53

I think it is lovely to see such a well matched and unstuffy young royal couple. They obviously really care about each other. They are doing a fantastic job to show Britain as great again. After all we need all the help we can for this to be the case again! It will certainly help put us back on the map and encourage tourism here.

jangly Tue 12-Jul-11 13:56:13

I love 'em. Can't get too much.

Supersusie Tue 12-Jul-11 15:21:32

They do seem like a lovely couple but enough is enough. Also the constant referring back to Lady Diana and the similarities/differences is pointless. With the serious stuff going on in the world I find it frustrating to get my newspaper with yet another front page picture and another discussion of both the outfit and her losing weight. It is somewhat out of perspective I think. Sorry to all you out there who love it and good for you but for some of us it is just too much. With the press covering every move it is only a matter of time before the pressure could become unbearable on her. Imagine having every outfit, weight loss or gain and every sentence uttered commented on and analysed.

Mariposa Tue 12-Jul-11 16:17:17

I love seeing the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on T.V. Both of them have done this country proud, Catherine will be OK, William will see to that.

jangly Tue 12-Jul-11 16:34:31

To be honest, I think its going to be Kate seeing that William's ok. grin

Baggy Tue 12-Jul-11 16:34:37

supersusie, a small amount of this hero worship is enough for me too but you can't really blame people who want more — it is what we pay the royals for after all. wink

iona Tue 12-Jul-11 16:44:12

I didn't watch the wedding and really have little interest in what they are doing. There are more important things in life.

willosal Tue 12-Jul-11 19:15:23

We here in Canada,or should I say myself,as some may diagree,have been delighted at their visit and the responce they have recieved from us here,its been so nice to see them,on Tv and watch them enjoying it all,and looking so right for the part,Im for one wishing them great sucess in their maariage and their lives together,and yes she is rather thin,but with all the stress etc and properly being encourged to keep thin by those above, she will find her own slef somewhere along the line. Im proud to say that Im Bristish when I see them,and alothough never been a royal watcher will continue to watch with delight and interest,this lovely couple.

Hattie64 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:48:29

I hope all this adoration, which I don't really have a problem with, well only slightly, gives Charles the idea that he can now make Camilla his Queen!!! I gather that Charles won't be too keen that his Son and DIL are proving far more popular than he is (according to the Guardian). He has a jealous nature. I can't stand the man, with his interference and the lifestyle he follows. He spends more in a year than the Queen. As for his two brothers, well what can you say about them????

numberplease Tue 12-Jul-11 22:23:52

It`s about time that Camilla was given the title Princess of Wales, after all, she IS married to the Prince of Wales, the title should be hers by right.