Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Cornation Street - could we start a petition?

(11 Posts)
susiecb Mon 18-Jul-11 11:42:40

Its time Corrie and Eastenders and their various clones came off the air and made room for some new writing - plenty of aspiring scriptwriters out there.

maxgran Mon 18-Jul-11 11:18:07

Years ago - The Rovers Return had a 'function room' - God knows where that was or where it has gone now. It now has a downstairs living area & kitchen in the back - but also a living area & kitchen upstairs, along with bedrooms. Steve has a bedroom,, Stella and her fella must have one - and Stella's daughter too -so thats 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, a living area, and presumably a bathroom - all upstairs a teeny weeny pub.

I would hate to live in the Barlows though - That living room has what can only be described as a 'bench' to sit on - and they have a dining table stuck in front of it !

granfromafar Sun 17-Jul-11 22:33:33

I totally agree with dorsetpennt on both points. Norris and Mary make a great double act, both delivering great one-liners with perfect comic timing.
I've often wondered where all the extra guests sleep in soap-land. The Rovers in Corrie and the Queen Vic in Eastenders seem to have an ever-increasing number of bedrooms for all the characters who need a room at short notice!

dorsetpennt Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:06

There is one comedy couple in Corrie. Norris and his ladyfriend Mary, she comes out with some truly dark comments, and Stephanie Cole's character is quickly taking over Blanche's role - actually I hated Blanche- now Dennis Tanner is back hopefully he'll get a few good lines.
Does anyone else think that Soap houses are actually of a Tardis nature. Those houses in Corrie are of the old two up and two down variety. Even with an extension to the kitchen and into the loft is restricted. However the Barlow household currently houses 4 adults and one child. Eileen's even worse with 5 adults and one child. Same with Eastenders Pat Evans house has 4 adults and 3 kids. All these houses welcome people to stay without a comment about the space - I also love it that people can leave the Street/Square with a small suitcase carrying all their wordly goods. When I go and stay with my son and his wife for a week I have one large case just for those few days.

maxgran Wed 13-Jul-11 13:08:31

I remember SOAP HildaW. I too had a young baby at the time - I used to love watching it.
As for Corrie - its getting ridiculous. they should call it Criminal Street.
How many residents have been to prison? Deirdre, Tracey, Steve McDonald, Kevin, Gail, David, Fiz, John Stape, Rita, Jim McDonald, Becky, Graham,.. - thats just a few and I bet there are more. How many murders ? How many cheating husbands/wives ?

HildaW Wed 13-Jul-11 00:16:30

Have never been into soaps.....................except years and years ago when being kept up by a baby....watching late night episodes of a weird US series that took the michael about sopas.......calles SOAP......had a very young Billy Crystal in it and was bizzarly wonderful...or I just might have been very light headed from not enough sleep.

jangly Tue 12-Jul-11 19:01:47

Eastenders is good for doing your exercise bike to.

janthea Tue 12-Jul-11 16:07:08

I gave up on Corrie and Enders many years ago as the plots just got sillier and sillier. None of the characters were able to converse without shouting at each other. And the crime rate in their areas were ridiculous!

harrigran Tue 12-Jul-11 15:50:56

The humour died in Coronation Street when Deidre's mam, Blanche, died. Some of the characters are just plain irritating eg Norris and Mary.

Jon Tue 12-Jul-11 15:38:43

Yes, I have watched it since the mid-60s and I think the humour has gone because the long running characters have all gone.

My thinking is that the producers have tried to appeal to a younger audience by introducing lots of younger characters into the Street, but this doesn't work where humour is concerned because they are not established enough to have a rather cynical view on life.

Since Jack and Vera left, there is no-one who can play the Hilda and Stan Ogden role, but maybe there are few marriages left like that anyway now. They just get a divorce.

I presume that they consider the audience figures will suffer if they dont appeal to every minority group in the country, and although I have never watched it I am told there never has been much humour in Eastenders either, which is Corrie's main competitor, so I dont expect things to improve in the near future.

killard Tue 12-Jul-11 14:00:18

I am not a soap fan but AM a long time viewer of Corrie - always loved the humour and great one-liners.
Alas all we get now is depressing stuff - could we get a petition going to please bring back some humour to Corrie?