Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Best Marigold Hotel

(34 Posts)
susiecb Tue 28-Feb-12 09:27:48

Saw this in Melton yesterday at our lovely little cinema with our usual tea and biscuits. It was a lovely lovely film very funny and poignant but inspirational and I dont say that often. This is one of the few films I would pay to go and see again. DS enjoyed it too so its not necessarily a girly film.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:43:25

I saw it at the weekend. Great performances and made me want to go to India.envy So nice to see older people portrayed as interesting individuals.

nanachrissy Tue 28-Feb-12 10:59:06

I'm going tomorrow and I'm really excited, (don't get out much!) grin

Bez Tue 28-Feb-12 15:20:32

I saw the film yesterday with DD and DGD - we all enjoyed it - the colours were wonderful and at times it was possible to believe you were actually there and looking out of a window. It has a great cast of good actors and also showed a couple of the customs of India.

JessM Tue 28-Feb-12 15:24:05

Here is the link back to thread on my night out at the premiere, courtesy of Gransnet. I put it in Culture instead of films, sorry...

www.gransnet.com/forums/culture/1190967-The-Best-Exotic-Marigold-Hotel-for-the-elderly-and-beautiful

Gally Tue 28-Feb-12 17:37:15

I saw it yesterday and thought it a very gentle film, great performances, no violence, very little sex and reminded me of how much I loved India (only downside was when a character died of a heart attack, which was a bit close to home right now - just as well I have a sense of humour!!)

greenmossgiel Tue 28-Feb-12 18:12:25

Oh Gally thanks. And you do have a sense of humour - that we all know. It'll help you through some of the hard bits to come. xx

Nsube Wed 29-Feb-12 15:28:09

Yes, a heap of cliches and some very old jokes indeed, but also very funny, principally because of the excellent cast and superb acting. Maggie Smith and Judi Dench were superb.

nanachrissy Wed 29-Feb-12 19:34:41

I loved it! Funny,sad and lots of things very close to home smile

gracesmum Thu 01-Mar-12 13:43:39

Oh Gallythanks - sometimes you have to be so careful don't you? My friend went to The Descendants with her new partner and instantly regretted it - he is a widower whose wife died of cancer leaving him with 3 young adult children. Not the best choice for them.
Off to see Best Marigold etc with 2 friends this afternoon - having a day off!

Seventimesfive Thu 01-Mar-12 15:24:16

gracesmum glad you have been able to get a day off and hope you enjoyed the film. Critics seem to have panned it, but Gransnetters have loved it!

gracesmum Thu 01-Mar-12 19:06:12

Loved the film- really 10/10 for feel good factor. Quite different from the book (These Foolish Things) by Deborah Moggach, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment one bit.4 of us wnet out for tea afterwards - girls' afternoon out! How does Judi Dench look so fantastic when she's 78, little and dumpy? envy

gma Tue 06-Mar-12 18:57:45

Been to see Best Marigold this afternoon with 2 girlfriends, and what a pleasure it was. Fantastic performances by everybody, We loved it. Lots to laugh at, lots to make you think and one piece to make you sniff into your tissue. smile

Ariadne Tue 06-Mar-12 20:02:50

I am going to a private charity showing at the beginning of April, with wine and a buffet. Since most people there will be of a similar age, I look forward to the laughs and reactions in general. Only thing is, I have to wait!

digikidnan Tue 06-Mar-12 20:05:28

Yes, went with girlfriends yesterday- wonderful! A treat...

Nonny Tue 06-Mar-12 21:43:39

My brother and sister-in-law took me to see it on Saturday and I really enjoyed it. It was so strange coming out of the cinema everyone was middle aged or older not a young person there at all!!!!

gracesmum Tue 06-Mar-12 21:45:08

I particularly liked the line "Everything will be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it's not the end" - makes me think!

nanachrissy Wed 07-Mar-12 20:49:58

Gracesmum I would so like to have that sunny mentality instead of being born to worry!

MaureenM Wed 07-Mar-12 23:36:04

I went to see it last night as part of a staff night out. (meal followed by film). I really enjoyed it, but didn't get home until ten to twelve. Getting up for work this morning at seven was a bit of a struggle! I'm retiring in the Summer so other members of staff thought it was funny when retirement do was mentioned with cheap wine and long speeches! Mine had better not be like that!

redamanthas Wed 04-Apr-12 10:08:20

Like Gracesmum that "everything will be all right" quote has touched lots of people, including myself. And its still doing the rounds, only this morning it was retweeted on Twitter. Brilliant quote.

Maniac Wed 04-Apr-12 14:46:04

Saw this film 2wks ago in our cosy local cinema .Thoroughly enjoyed it .colour,humour,brilliant acting.Having visited India in 1978 and 81 found it wonderfully evocative-I also would like to see it again.
Only complaint-the noise level was too high. May have been because the afternoon audience was almost 100% pensioners they turned up the volume.
Next time I'll take my earplugs!

artygran Wed 04-Apr-12 15:26:35

Sound levels in cinemas are always too high; we went to see this film a couple of weeks ago and there weren't that many seniors in and although the film sound wasn't as loud as the trails and adverts, it still could have been a little more muted. (This is why we cannot take our 5 yr old GS to the cinema - he doesn't like the noise!) I thought the film was fantastic - humour, pathos, fantastic photography and a brilliant cast (Bill Nighy stole it for me).

glammanana Wed 04-Apr-12 15:35:12

I loved the film we have become cinema converts thanks to Orange Wednesdays becoming so popular only costs just under £5-00 for us both to go to local Cinema.smile

greenmossgiel Wed 04-Apr-12 16:34:43

I went a couple of weeks ago with my friend - and we both loved it! I liked that phrase the young man used (can't remember his name now!) - "It'll all work out in the end - and if it doesn't work out, it's not the end." I think that's a very comforting thought for us all, don't you? smile

ladybird9 Thu 05-Apr-12 10:38:18

morning to you all
I am hoping to see this film soon, mainly because I admire Judy Dench, fantastic actress in my opinion, and more than this I am in her age bracket and find her absolutely wonderful as an actress, would love to meet her. (not much chance of that is there? ), but thanks again for all of your comments on the film, not being a regular cinema "goer", I am impressed and thanks again