Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

*Episodes*

(29 Posts)
Ganja Wed 02-May-12 08:09:13

Hooray, this is coming back next week, best comedy on tv at the moment.
Given how the last series ended I shall be fascinated to see how it opens. Does it strike anyone else as slightly odd that the opening credits feature a very old fashioned typewriter? I did love that noisy clatter, and the PING as you hurled the carriage back. Shows my age!

eGJ Wed 02-May-12 14:35:01

And I enjoy Tamsin Gregg (aka Debbie Aldridge!) At the start I couldn't get along with it,(and I didn't know who the person from "Friends" was) but now am glad it's coming back next week to Ganja

Annobel Wed 02-May-12 15:21:04

Tamsin Gregg is a wonderful comic actress. Do you remember her in Black Books - a tremendously anarchic comedy also starring Bill Bailey?

Anagram Wed 02-May-12 15:40:18

Yes, I thought she was wonderful in Black Books, The Green Wing and Love Soup, but I can't get enthusiastic about the return of Episodes, which I found rather tedious although I wanted to like it. I'm surprised it got a second series as the reviews were lukewarm.

Annobel Fri 04-May-12 07:54:52

I guess it got a second series because of Matt le Blanc who got a Golden Globe for his performance - undeserved, I think, because he was really just being Joey Tribiani!

dahlia Sun 06-May-12 20:31:33

Yes, we both really enjoyed the first series, but can't help wondering if it wouldn't have been better to have stopped right there! Tamsin Greig can do no wrong in my book, and also love Stephen Mangan (hope I have that name right, you know who I mean!).

Ganja Sun 13-May-12 00:20:33

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Let's hope it improves. sad sad sad

PRINTMISS Sun 13-May-12 07:52:34

YES! YES! YES! Ganja

PRINTMISS Sat 19-May-12 07:19:28

Won't bother with that again! Disgustingly bad language does not make up for the lack of humour. What a total waste of talent! Urgh.

Anagram Sat 19-May-12 10:28:28

I agree. Tasteless rubbish! (And I'll usually watch anything at that time of night....wink)

Ganja Sun 20-May-12 08:47:24

So disappointing. Let's pray Rev keeps to the same wonderful standard when that comes back. Must have something to look forward to. Incidentally, is it just me or is Simon Amstell WEIRD?? confused

PRINTMISS Sun 20-May-12 10:30:30

Not you at all, Ganja, and do you (and Anagram) agree with me that QI is an interesting programme, EXCEPT when those really clever comedians think it is clever to use foul language, and take everything down to the lowest level. I know it is not supposed to be serious, but please, when there is something interesting to discuss and listen to, then can we be allowed to do just that? Oh! dear, I feel I am getting on my hobby horse again. I have never been able to understand the necessity for bad language in public.

Anagram Sun 20-May-12 11:03:26

I agree, PRINTMISS.
And I agree with you, too, Ganja - Simon Anstell is very odd, and I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to let him have his own 'sitcom'. I think some of these people have influence in high places at the BBC! confused

Ganja Tue 22-May-12 07:45:21

I do enjoy QI PRINTMISS when I happen upon it, but it's not highlighted in my Radio Times. Not a lot is these days, though we do keep finding fascinating history programes, usually on BBC Four. Perhaps it's because of the Jubilee.

PRINTMISS Wed 23-May-12 09:09:08

Good morning Ganja, we too enjoy the history programmes, and I think perhaps you are right about the Jubilee, but I do find that the BBC seem to have altered all what I call 'suitable' programmes to unsuitable times. I am an early to bed person, so anything after 10.30 I miss. Question of Sport being one of them. My husband does record that particular one for me. Lovely morning here again.

Ganja Fri 25-May-12 00:05:53

I do agree with you PRINTMISS about programmes being too late. I'm very lucky and was given an iPad for my 75th birthday, so I wake up early and do some catching up on iPlayer, accompanied by a couple of mugs of Lapsang! Very civilised!brew brew

Ganja Sat 26-May-12 08:09:31

Back on form again, unbelievable. A comedy with real emotions. I guess they will be together again by the end of the series. Hope so.smile

PRINTMISS Wed 30-May-12 15:59:18

Just caught up with this theme again, but I have not watched Episodes any more, however, mu husband who hated the first series is now hooked! I just go to bed, I'm afraid.

Speldnan Wed 30-May-12 18:14:21

Love Episodes and anything with Tamsin Greig in! She and Stephen Mangan were in the best and funniest program ever on TV-Green Wing. Unfortunately it only ran for a couple of series which is so often the way with programs of brilliance.
Also think Matt Le Blanc is great in it-very good comic timing and he's a nice guy (saw him interviewed recently)

crimson Wed 30-May-12 23:57:38

Missed all of Episodes; kept seeing trailers and thinking it was for Dirk Gently. I loved Green Wing and Black Books, although went to see Dylan Moran live a few years back and was bitterly disappointed.

Ganja Sat 30-Jun-12 08:07:53

Just watched the last one. That was quite some cliffhanger, so obviously we are going to have a series three when TG and SM get back together. I can't really see where they can go with the Matt Le Blanc story though. Not much mileage left in him.

Anagram Sat 30-Jun-12 12:29:49

The last episode isn't until next week here. Where are you, Ganja?

henetha Sun 01-Jul-12 13:54:08

I loved Episodes and hope they do a third series. And I think Matt Le Blanc is quite dishy... which I never noticed when watching him for all those years in
"Friends"... He's aged well.
I like Episodes because it's a bit different from other sit-coms, and I enjoy the American link.

Ganja Mon 02-Jul-12 06:45:50

Just me going dotty Anagram. Of course we have got Merc's Award ceremony to come. Oh the hubris!
You are so right Henetha about it being different from other sitcoms. Some one on GN recommended Mrs Brown's Boys, so I thought I would give it a try, but watched in fascinated horror. Has anyone else seen it? I couldn't believe my eyes, and it's the Irish doing it to themselves too.shock

Ganja Sun 08-Jul-12 09:39:27

Well, that's over. So glad Beverley and Shaun got back together, they couldn't not could they? I'd love another series, but I can't see where they could go with it, they have pretty much killed everyone else off.

Cheer up comedy lovers. 2012 is back this week.smile