Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ripper street

(38 Posts)
tattynan Sun 30-Dec-12 19:28:00

Going to try this new series tonight. There's some good actors in it.

Grannyknot Sun 30-Dec-12 22:08:50

And very good the first episode was indeed.

Anne58 Sun 30-Dec-12 22:15:44

I enjoyed it, had to look away at some bits though.

Ella46 Sun 30-Dec-12 22:17:30

I wasn't impressed I'm afraid.
I couldn't tell what they were saying half the time, but I shall watch the next one just to be sure.

Ana Sun 30-Dec-12 22:18:29

Nor me, Ella....confused

hummingbird Sun 30-Dec-12 22:19:37

Nor me, found it all too wearing. Nothing decent on the box at all!

nanaej Sun 30-Dec-12 22:21:29

I was hoping for something different I think.. did not really enjoy it but will give it a second go..sometimes takes time to get 'into' a programme!

tanith Sun 30-Dec-12 23:13:18

I'll watch on iplayer later just to see if its any good...

york46 Mon 31-Dec-12 09:09:13

Didn't watch this for long then switched off. The subject matter was grim enough, but all the additional gratuitous violence was too much for me.

Barrow Mon 31-Dec-12 09:43:54

I watched this - not sure about it though. I will watch it again but wonder whether its going to turn into a Victorian, more violent, Morse. You know, brilliant copper, loyal sargeant.

petallus Mon 31-Dec-12 14:39:11

I might watch it but I'm uncomfortable with entertainment based on such horrific murders of young women. Titillating to some people.

Barrow Mon 31-Dec-12 14:42:26

petallus its actually based on the time after the Ripper murders, although they were an important part of the story last night. There was a lot of violence, bare knuckle boxing and police brutality.

Marelli Mon 31-Dec-12 14:50:43

I didn't watch it either. I thought it would end up being a bit 'samey' - and haven't we all had enough of the same? However, I went off for a bath but DH watched it and said it was really quite good. Apparently it's a different story every week. I'm not very good with violent stuff though - especially towards women, so I may not bother with it.

numberplease Mon 31-Dec-12 16:48:35

We watched the first 15 minutes, but it wasn`t exactly grabbing me, so switched it off.

glammanana Mon 31-Dec-12 17:10:42

I can't make my mind up about this such a lot of horrible gory shots in it,everything seems to be about postmortems and the like at present its a pity we can't get away from the topic and have something much more entertaining.There are a few new series starting over the next week or so,so lets see what they bring for the winter nights nothing too scary I hope.(wimp) thats me.

merlotgran Mon 31-Dec-12 19:30:43

It was the mumbling school of acting again. Why can't they just SPEAK UP? angry

Grannyknot Mon 31-Dec-12 19:44:46

I only noticed one of the actors/characters mumbling ... DH and I usually help each other out with interpretation because invariably one of us has heard what was said! Or, I just make it up so that he doesn't pause and rewind grin It is quite gory but not as bad as The Young Doctor's Notebook which had me watching between my fingers. I accept it as a story of those times, and I love the authenticity of the sets. Barrow I think you're right, it is the Morse template in another era.

I find elements of Call the Midwife upsetting, e.g. the fact that women were often destined to get pregnant year after year and had no or very little control over it. Give me a murder to try and solve any day. When it gets too gory, I can always focus on my knitting for that moment!

tattynan Mon 04-Feb-13 16:12:52

This has been a great series. The make up costume and sets are fabulous and really make you feel the period. The stories have built the characters up well. I hear a second series has been commissioned.

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 16:32:38

I'm never sure what's going on tbh. It's all a bit dark (from a lighting point of view) and the characters all look a bit similar. Except the main one of course. The actress playing the Jewish woman is very good.

I thought yesterday's Midwife was fantastic!

Ella46 Mon 04-Feb-13 18:47:08

J07 It's been a fantastic series I think (CTM I mean), I find Ripper St a bit over done, but I love the bloke with the broken nose, can't remember his name.
Jerome..........of Robson and Jerome, that's the one! grin

Grannylin Mon 04-Feb-13 19:03:34

Ripper is far too grisly for me .Am looking forward to watching 'Dancing on the Edge' tonight but just hope I remember to watch it Wednesday night too.Think I'll give Brain Doctors a miss shock

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:12:38

I've never noticed he was in it! looks like he was in Game of Thrones

And Soldier Soldier. So used to love that!

Didn't recognise him.

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:13:13

He's got a bit older! Fancy that! hmm grin

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 19:15:11

Yes! Dancing on the Edge tonight. smile (Think it's on the same time as the King's bones thing though. Will have to record that)

Deedaa Tue 05-Feb-13 21:16:27

Bit disappointed with Ripper Street because Malcolm McFaddyen (sp?) seems to have got a bit porky and middle aged looking and I really liked him in spooks.