Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New drama The Village starting tonight at 9pm

(65 Posts)
sunflowersuffolk Sun 31-Mar-13 20:04:53

Just saw a trailer for this, and seems worth a watch. BBC1 pm.

The Village is an epic drama series for BBC One starring Maxine Peake and John Simm, charting the life and turbulent times of one English village across the whole of the 20th century. The Village is written by Bafta-winning writer Peter Moffat.

The camera never leaves the village. Births, deaths, love and betrayal, great political events, upheavals in national identity, ways of working, rules kept and rebellions made, sex, religion, class, the shaping of modern memory – all refracted through the lives of the villagers and the village.

One man, Bert Middleton lives across the entire hundred years and his life story from boyhood to extreme old age provides the narrative backbone. His last great act of remembering is our way in to an examination of our recent past.

The series begins in 1914. Young Bert Middleton (introducing Bill Jones) is growing up in extreme poverty on a family farm in Derbyshire. His parents John (John Simm – State of Play, The Devil’s Whore) and Grace (Maxine Peake – Silk, Criminal Justice, Shameless) struggle to provide for Bert and his adored older brother Joe (Nico Mirallegro – My Fat Mad Teenage Diary, Upstairs Downstairs). John is proud, unyielding and haunted by his past. Grace devotes her life to protecting her sons from the violence of his despair. Is her sacrifice sustainable? Is John capable of redemption? Will Bert’s funny, gentle ways and rich imagination survive? Joe supplements the family income by working at the Big House, where he comes into contact with the troubled and deeply unstable Caro (Emily Beecham – The Runaway).

Marelli Sun 31-Mar-13 20:39:16

Planning to watch this, sunflower. Looks like being a good one. smile

bookdreamer Sun 31-Mar-13 20:47:10

Yes I'm looking forward to it too. Like both John sim and Maxine Peake.

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Mar-13 21:15:53

I am watching Foyles war. I was rather put off "The Village" by the very breathy rendition of "I vow to thee my country" on the trailer by the woman singing the hymn. It is not a tune that should be sung like Ella Fitzgerald sings "Santa baby". I have recorded it though.

gracesmum Sun 31-Mar-13 21:37:36

Finding the grimness of poor country life a bit hard to take - especially the little boy's cruel father and the evil teacher. Gave up at the boy being caned for being left-handed. When did I become so sensitive? I have a feeling it is since the birth of my grandsons - I could not imagine our little boys having to endure such hardship or cruelty!
(I do know "It's only acting" !!)

Ana Sun 31-Mar-13 21:52:46

Same here, gracesmum. I found it too harrowing after half an hour.

RobertJunior Sun 31-Mar-13 22:06:59

I must be getting soft because I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes of cruelty to the young boy. I know its only a story but it reminded me too much of my early schooldays. My brother was left handed (IS lefthanded) & was bullied mercilessly by the teachers. I got 6 of the best for not being able to recite the Lord's Prayer aged 8.

Big shame because the costumes, sets and buildings were beautifully accurately depicted, ditto the camera work.

gracesmum Sun 31-Mar-13 22:09:21

What a load of softies we must be! smile

sunflowersuffolk Sun 31-Mar-13 22:11:42

I hated seeing the cruelty too. I had paused it early on, so fast forwarded through those parts. The little boy has such expressive eyes.

Sook Sun 31-Mar-13 22:17:42

I had been looking forward to watching this but found tonight's episode a bit disappointing as it wasn't quite what I had been expecting. As a left-handed person myself I could have wept at the punishment Bert received.

Tegan Sun 31-Mar-13 23:05:50

But surely it's a true depiction of what happened in those days if you were left handed? This series is going to break my heart but it's the best thing I've seen for a long time.

Ella46 Sun 31-Mar-13 23:05:56

I quite enjoyed it, just because it was a bit different.

BlueSky Mon 01-Apr-13 10:06:16

I found the harsh treatment of the boy upsetting because sadly that was what really happened in those days, so it's not just a make believe story. sad

worlie Mon 01-Apr-13 10:15:20

watched this and not very impressed, sorry

bookdreamer Mon 01-Apr-13 11:03:29

I agree Tegan. I found it engrossing. Most of the characters portrayed in there are very true to life, even in my generation and I found I could relate to their problems, which I think is a sign of very good writing and acting. That school teacher was a nasty piece of work though but I'm sure there were, and still are, teachers like him.

Felt sympathy for John Simm's character, knowing I think that change had to come but not wanting it.

Overall I think it was very, very good.

gangy5 Mon 01-Apr-13 11:12:07

Not sure whether I'll stick with it - a bit too slow with long periods of silence and inactivity. I too found certain parts hard to watch. It's probably not fair to judge on one episode so will be tuned in next week.

Tegan Mon 01-Apr-13 11:58:39

Given that one of the people involved [the writer?] did The Lakes many years ago [also starring John Simm] this was never going to be Downton Abbey. Even Lark Rise turned into a parody of itself [if that's the right word confused]. I think I could watch John Simm in just about anything [and do].

Mishap Mon 01-Apr-13 12:50:29

Just watching the recording of episode 1 - it is a bit slow-moving. Hope to get into it as it goes on.

matson Mon 01-Apr-13 13:27:54

i thoroughly enjoyed the first episode of " the village " last night, and looking forward to the next one x

Marelli Mon 01-Apr-13 14:41:21

I liked it. Aged 10, I used to receive 'two of the taws' (2 strokes of the belt) each Tuesday afternoon when I wasn't able to recite Burns' poetry. Having just arrived in Fife after having been born and brought up in Nottingham, it was no wonder I wasn't able to speak broad Scots! That's how it was in 1960, and most definitely was in 1914!
I like Maxine Peake, and think she was really good last night.

Sook Mon 01-Apr-13 16:53:20

Teganbeing left-handed in the 50/60s was still a crime but the punishment was much less severe. I'm still a lefty and proud of it grin

Tegan Mon 01-Apr-13 19:18:55

It's impossible to believe sometimes that such things as being left handed were frowned upon. I wonder if there's some strange reason for it, like not being able to use a gun or operate machinery [or something like that]? Although I suppose that, before biros were invented it was difficult to write with pen and ink if you were left handed, so maybe it wasn't regarded as wrong as such but they felt it neded to be corrected as it would cause problems job wise later on.

Marelli Mon 01-Apr-13 20:08:47

Was George V1 not left-handed and because he was forced to write with his right hand, it resulted in him having a stammer? sad

glassortwo Mon 01-Apr-13 20:33:55

I watched lasy night, found it a little slow but that often happens when they are trying to set the characters down, it was harrowing but its as it was thrn, so why should they soften it up for the viewer. I think I am going to enjoy it.

specki4eyes Mon 01-Apr-13 20:46:04

Like others,I had to turn it off because of the violence towards the boys - I just cannot bear to watch violence against children or animals. Even the adverts for the NSPCC have to be switched off in my house. My father was naturally left handed - his father hit him with a steel ruler when he saw him using his left hand. My Dad became ambidextrous, developed a slight stammer and was fearful for the rest of his life. He was a lovely man and it breaks my heart to think of my grandfather's cruelty towards him.

What exactly constitutes entertainment in this kind of drama?