Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sewing Bee

(39 Posts)
suzied Wed 24-Apr-13 08:19:58

I know this has been mentioned in the Claudia Winkleman thread but it was brilliant that Ann won last night. I thought ithe judgesmight do the ageist thing and prefer the more telegenic Lauren, but her outfits last night were mediocre and not well done and Ann's were perfect. Please get her on Gransnet for a web chat I'd love to ask her some questions. I hope I'm as sprightly and fun as Ann when I'm 81. I loved her hand knitted cardigan and scarf she was wearing last night as well. So talented.

whenim64 Mon 29-Apr-13 12:27:24

Nonny you can get fabric samples sent out from online sites. One I used recently was a Glasgow remnant shop which sells lovely designer materials that are end of range, and I got a great bargain. I've got a fabric shop nearby, and John Lewis are local, but neither could beat some of the good quality materials I've bought online in the last year.

Nonny Mon 29-Apr-13 12:45:17

Thanks whenim I will have a look at that!

shysal Mon 29-Apr-13 13:23:23

I am self-taught and used to make clothes for all of us when the children were young. I am embarrassed to say that I once used a bargain fabric to make dresses for myself and daughters and a tie for hubby! I used to keep all the scraps and made patchwork pinafore dresses for DDs, which were much admired. These days I am called upon to make costumes for GD's dancing shows, but mostly it is alterations and fancy dress outfits.
I really enjoyed the Sewing Bee, and think the time constraints must have made it very difficult.
The most helpful thing I discovered when learning to sew was that ironing at each stage gives a better finish.

cathy Mon 29-Apr-13 14:44:53

shysal why embarrassed, you should feel proud of yourself, you helped your family, your sewing meant your family had nice clothes and a tie!

My Mum once made clothes for herself from her curtains. When she told me about it, I was very proud of her that instead of moaning that her Dad would not give her money for clothes she solved the problem very well on her own, as I say I was extremely proud of her knowing she did that.

goldengirl Mon 29-Apr-13 16:07:00

I was hopeless at sewing at school and spent most of the lessons unpicking. However at college I made most of my clothes through sheer necessity - and without a machine - and looking at photos now I'm very proud of my efforts. I used to make the children's clothes when they were small and household items such as a padded seat with valance to fit a trunk we had. I bought a new machine last year and it's still in its box and after this programme I'm looking forward to trying it out if I get a goodly wodge of time to myself. I've bought some material to cover our piano stool and some lighter fabric for the glass door to my study, so really must give it a whirl.

By the way I've just splashed out on a new mag called Reloved. Has anyone else bought it? It's expensive for a mag, even today but I couldn't resist.

Deedaa Mon 29-Apr-13 22:13:36

I was just like you goldengirl I didn't have needlework lessons at school, I had unpicking ones! The simplest garment would take months!
After I left school I began to take it seriously and made myself some lovely clothes. I remember a denim wrap dress and some great tweed oxford bags (1970's) I recycled my maternity clothes into dresses for my daughter and made shirts for my husband and even a denim suit! I did get a book on tailoring from the library to help with that.

I gave up when fabric started to get really expensive, but now I've lost weight I'm going to have to start on some drastic alterations.

suzied Thu 02-May-13 06:52:12

I hated sewing at school as all we did was hem round an apron for about a year(or it seemed like it!). I went to sewing classes with a friend when my children were small and loved it! I am still going to classes - now doing lingerie making and evening wear! I sew everyday and have invested in super machine and overlocker. This year I have made about 4 dresses for granddaughters, a dress from a vintage pattern for myself in crepe de chine, a couple of pairs of trousers and a whole collection of silk satin lingerie in a dove grey with ivory lace trim, plus quite a few home dec things. I think the Sewing Bee did emphasise that fitting is the hardest thing in sewing, and once you know how to alter or make a pattern to fit the rest is fairly straightforward. It's a great hobby as its both creative and functional, I did try art and pottery but there's only so many wonky pots you can find room in your home for, yet you can always wear a lovely dress or change your cushions round.

Stansgran Thu 02-May-13 09:30:46

I love sewing but stopped making clothes some years ago when my daughters left home. The last thing I made was my daughters wedding dress eight years ago. Since then I've stuck to cushions and bags(hate plastic bags) and quilts for charity. I feel peaceful and creative when I'm sewing. Making a cookery apron and cap and embroider my initials in school colours insatin stitch put me off satin stitch for life and it wasn't until we made baby doll pyjamas that I saw the point of sewing.

storynanny Thu 02-May-13 10:11:29

Like the other poster I did needlework o level at school by default. I did 3 weeks of a level maths in the 6th form and realised I didn't have a clue, so filled the gap in my timetable with an extra. O level. So glad I did as I've used those skills over the years to make a wide range of simple items. I've made simple dresses, skirts for myself, cushion covers, curtains, shorts and trousers when my boys were little and nursery stuff.

Unfortunately now it isn't cost effective to make garments as nice fabric seems so expensive. Going to make some matching cushions and table cloths for my garden furniture this summer though. And I have been trying out some bag patterns for myself and friends which I'm really pleased with. I've got a couple of patterns with several different bag designs on each and have enjoyed searching out fabric and trimmings etc. I brought some batik back from malaysia and turned it into several lovely bags for family.

I do find it sad that I'm asked by friends and relatives to do the most simple basic sewing jobs for them, like hemming etc. not because I'm not happy to do the job for them, just that it seems such a basic skill to have both for males and females.
I wouldn't attempt to make children's clothes for grandsons now as they are so cheap and lovely in the shops, just stick to knitting now for new arrivals.
If you live anywhere near salisbury there is a very comprehensive range of knitting in a shop there, near the railway station, can't remember the name. Good range of fabric too.

suzied Thu 02-May-13 12:35:37

I disagree that making clothes is uneconomic. Of course it doesn't compete with Primark etc but if you want good quality, well made outfits it is certainly worth it. I did buy 4 metres of gorgeous vintage style cotton off a market stall for £8 and made 4 lovely dresses for my 4 small granddaughters which I lined, I have seen similar , but not as nice, in Monsoon for £35 each. I also have made myself silk evening dresses , which I think would have cost well over £100 in shops such as Hobbs etc. yet only took 2.5 metres of silk which I got quite cheaply at a local Asian shop.

storynanny Thu 02-May-13 14:45:53

Yes I can see that some sewing is economical, but if you buy a pattern only use it once and add nice fabric on top of that, a simple skirt etc is prob still cheaper to buy in chain stores. Of course you do get originality with home created which is worth a lot.

petra Thu 02-May-13 19:59:58

I would love to make clothes for my DGD; but measuring her is a nightmare (she is 3 1/2) you can't get near her.

Elegran Thu 02-May-13 20:17:39

Find something that fits her and unpick it for a pattern.