Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Eurovision

(64 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 18-May-13 20:54:08

Funny how so many songs are in English but when it comes to the voting..........hmm

At least the Russian entry sounds like a SONG

feetlebaum Mon 20-May-13 16:59:27

Coo... I once found myself in a backstage conversation with Katie Boyle, who seemed a real charmer - as did Lady Isobel Barnett and Alan Melville - boy, was I out of my league!

It was a BBC 25 Years of TV Since the War (or something) programme, and I was there with Don Lang, re 6-5 Special.

harrigran Mon 20-May-13 16:22:44

Really shock

soop Mon 20-May-13 16:21:51

Thanks, anno smile

annodomini Mon 20-May-13 16:10:54

Katie Boyle is still alive. She's the same age as the queen and it was rumoured that she had a 'relationship' with The Duke of Edinburgh in the '50s!

BAnanas Mon 20-May-13 15:26:21

Why do we bother entering? We have nothing to prove we gave the world, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Queen, Elton John, the list could go on and on to page 4 or 5. Ireland also has it's fair share of major acts. It's all political we know that, most of the Eastern bloc, who vote for each other, have yet to produce anyone of any significance in the world of music, maybe they will at some stage in the future. The only real talent that ever emerged from Eurovison was Abba, but they didn't really open the flood gates of Nordic musical talent, maybe several acts have followed but certainly nobody of their magnitude. What of that desert of modern music France, they still haven't got over the fact that their biggest star,well I assume he is cos he's always on the front of Paris Match when I've been there, even though he must be about 90 now, the leathery faced Johnny 'olliday, really didn't make his mark in the wider world. They might think the only sauce we can make is custard, but hey we'll keep our custard and they can keep their one song of any note "je ne regrette rien!"

soop Mon 20-May-13 11:04:01

titters...grin

j08 Sun 19-May-13 16:41:54

A bit of that shortbread will do me soop. #knowshowtohaveagoodtimethat soop. grin

soop Sun 19-May-13 16:03:08

Jings I believe that Katie is still with us. I'm off to read the Sunday papers. Mr soop has made a pot of tea. I shall rootle out a packet of Tartan shortbread. Will raise a glass of G&T to you at six o'clock sharp. Slainte! moon

j08 Sun 19-May-13 15:40:13

grin

matson Sun 19-May-13 15:34:18

Jo8 don't know if katy is still with us, but, last nights Eurovision was the best laugh I have had for ages! You just cannot take it seriousgrin x

j08 Sun 19-May-13 14:48:48

Is she still with us?

j08 Sun 19-May-13 14:48:04

Katy Boyle! That's going back a bit soop. I'd forgotten about her. grin

annodomini Sun 19-May-13 14:42:09

I never intended to watch the contest, but couldn't be bothered to switch off. I was doing sudokus and word games to take my mind off it! One good thing was the Swedish presenter who had great presence and wasn't anything like as naff as some of the idiots who have done it in the past.

sunseeker Sun 19-May-13 14:37:52

Haven't watched Graham Norton since he made that tasteless remark after one of the Gibbs brothers died.

When he started out he was very funny - but later just got catty

Tegan Sun 19-May-13 13:55:36

I think it falls into the category of 'being so bad it's good' smile.

soop Sun 19-May-13 13:41:02

jings I believe that Katie Boyle was the presenter when I last watched Eurovision. She was multi lingual...and pretty with it.

j08 Sun 19-May-13 13:18:16

It's a good bit of entertainment. Very watchable, once a year.

Eloethan Sun 19-May-13 12:28:04

I always used to watch the Eurovision (everybody else in the family used to beat a retreat) because I thought it was just a bit of light hearted fun. Let's face it, most of the songs have always been pretty awful. However, after all the blatant partisan voting of the last few years - and particularly when Andy Abrahams did so badly (I think he got 0 points) - I decided not to bother watching any more.

I was tempted last night to give it another go, and used the excuse of doing some paperwork and filing to have it on in the background. What a horrible caterwauling racket (though I quite like the Malta song). I didn't bother to watch the voting and it sounds like it was the usual farce.

Tegan Sun 19-May-13 11:20:05

Bet Greece went into panic mode with Cyprus not reaching the final wink.

annodomini Sun 19-May-13 10:46:51

Without most of the former Yugoslavian states being involved, the political/tribal aspect of the voting was reduced, although there were still the Scandinavian and former Soviet cliques.

Tegan Sun 19-May-13 10:37:19

I find the voting patterns a hoot, especially with either Terry Wogan or Graham Norton talking us through it.

Charleygirl Sun 19-May-13 10:32:49

I would not watch that programme any more. For many years the voting has been political which, for me, spoiled it.

Tegan Sun 19-May-13 10:28:25

Don't think he was on top form last night, but he was still good. I never make a point of watching his show but, if I catch a repeat of it when channel hopping I always enjoy it.

annodomini Sun 19-May-13 10:20:59

Graham Norton's remark about the falsetto Romanian singer was classic: 'Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should do it.'

glammanana Sun 19-May-13 09:48:55

So glad thats over for another year,big yawn grin I had to watch Michael Douglas in Wall Street I enjoyed it really its the first time I have ever watched it.