Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone seen the new Hobbit yet?

(41 Posts)
broomsticks Sat 14-Dec-13 09:25:24

I'm hoping to go next week when all our various ailment should be better (touch wood).

tanith Fri 05-Dec-14 17:22:14

I just rewatched the first Hobbit on Netflix and the second one is there waiting for me , so I can then go and watch the new one in a couple of weeks... I never got into LOTR they were just so dark it was so hard to watch them.. maybe I'll have another try at them sometime..

Tegan Fri 05-Dec-14 17:20:44

Having seen the second film I'm really looking forward to the third one. Especially now that Orlando Bloom is in it [and the lady elf is very good, too]

broomsticks Fri 05-Dec-14 17:12:34

Hoping to go and see it but I wish they had just done The Hobbit in one film as the children's book it was supposed to be. I don't really think it works though I adored the LOTR films.

Tegan Sat 29-Nov-14 09:48:24

I was the same Teetime, but the second one with Smaug was del Torro back to his best [think Pan's Labyrinth]. Worth watching on dvd. I'd be interested to see what you think.

Teetime Sat 29-Nov-14 09:39:28

I went to sleep in the first one -its just a computer game- Lord of the rings was fabulous though.

ninathenana Sat 29-Nov-14 00:35:18

New film opens 2 wks today smile

rosesarered Fri 28-Nov-14 16:27:10

Yes, so looking forward to the next film [out in December] lots of us in the family go together, as we did for the LOTR films. This will be the last one, so the end of an era.

Tegan Fri 28-Nov-14 10:41:04

I didn't see the second Hobbit film because I didn't enjoy the first one, but I've just watched it on dvd in case I decided to see the last one. And, d'y'knowwhat; I really ejoyed it. Probably because it was a 'based on' storyline so I didn't actually know what was going to hapen next.It was annoying that the film ended on the usual cliffhanger that always happens in the second part of a trilogy but at least I haven't got to wait a year to find out what happens next. In fact, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new one. I am pleased though, because Guillermo del Torro [sp] is one of my favourite filmakers and I hated being disappointed in his work. Watching 'the making of' the cast said that, the problem with filming in such beautiful locations is that everyone just think it's computerised, and that's what I'd been thinking [although I knew the LOTR's films had been shot on location I hadn't realised The Hobbit was the same].

Iam64 Sat 21-Dec-13 18:58:22

My husband took our teen granchildren to see it, they loved it, all of them.

broomsticks Sat 21-Dec-13 15:11:49

Finally managed to see the Hobbit and really enjoyed it. I did think maybe the fighting with Smaug went on about 20 minutes too long but otherwise good film. Brilliant dragon animation.
I didn't see it in 3D. What was it like when the orc's head shot towards you?
tchgrin

ninathenana Thu 19-Dec-13 07:02:59

Yes Ariadne I thought the 3D was excellent too. The bee springs to mind.

Ariadne Wed 18-Dec-13 22:37:03

Thoroughly enjoyed it last night with DG and DGD (15 and 17). I have loved all these books since I first read them over 50 years ago, and it's good, but sadly rare, to see a novel realised well. (Or a realisation that at least matches my vision) I love, too, the effects available to film makers today - so impressive, especially in 3D, like last night.

(Pizza Express afterwards was good too!)

Tegan Wed 18-Dec-13 22:23:58

I've just got back from seeing 'Nebraska'. It was perfection; I loved every minute of it. Warm, gentle, funny and heartbreaking.

ninathenana Wed 18-Dec-13 21:08:53

I have just returned from seeing it. We all enjoyed it. It's hard to say much without spoiling it. I haven't read any of the books so can't compare.

thatbags Wed 18-Dec-13 20:36:27

Reporting back. MrBags said it was good. There's a lot in the film that isn't in the book but the director has the hindsight that Tolkien didn't have, so to speak (cos he hadn't written Lord of the Rings yet!). mrB says there's a lot in the film about what Gandalf did in those intervening years.

rosesarered Wed 18-Dec-13 20:28:10

Am really looking forward to seeing it on Friday, we shall sprawl in our de-luxe seats with a large bag of popcorn and glory in all the fantasy. Going to see it in 2D though as don't fancy the 3D.

Flowerofthewest Mon 16-Dec-13 15:46:12

The series he was in was Being Human. I am so glad he has found a home with the dwarves.

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 22:21:57

Or the bok. grin

Ana Sun 15-Dec-13 22:17:57

Flowerofthewest - yes, he was very fanciable, and that Irish accent...tchwink

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 22:09:37

the book

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 22:07:04

Glorfindel

Flowerofthewest Sun 15-Dec-13 17:01:56

where is the bok? Is Glorfindel a dwarf, troll, elf or Hobbit?

jinglbellrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 16:55:02

Glorfindel, from the bok, is entirely in my head.

#mineallmine. tchwink [sigh!]

Flowerofthewest Sun 15-Dec-13 16:51:35

There is that gorgeous man who played the Vampire in TV series about the werewolf, vampire and ghost who shared a house. He is a bit lovely wink

thatbags Sun 15-Dec-13 16:51:15

Shall do, nina.